Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmull View Post
It is a beginning--French Revolution, Civil Rights mov ement, Gandhi protests, American Revolution, Irish war of Independence, Russian Revolution, Moses leading the Israelites out of bondage. History has many instances of major change which starts with small protests
Right on Patmull.. Also if they take down the tents at this stage and the revolution takes flight, Cork will look really bad. In our best interest if at least 1 tent stays up.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMagic View Post
The sooner those utter simpletons and wasters on the Grand Parade f*** off and get a life/job (or better again emigrate) the better! I wouldn't give those c***s the steam of my piss to be honest!

All protest but no answers. No alternatives! No clue!
Chill man. Why so in tents?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Boom Boom!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 PM

I've been brewing that one.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Boys Oh Boys Forum Users

Lovely hurling.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMcG View Post
I just do not understand this point of view. Agree or disagree with the intent but it's perfectly clear what the Occupy movements demands are and if you don't know, it takes a total of 3 seconds to google them and find out. Other than willful ignorance, I cannot understand how you don't know the central message of the protest!?

Tighten banking regulations so what happened in 2008 cannot happen again, ban high-frequency trading, arrest all 'financial fraudsters' responsible for the crash, and put an end to corporate donations to politicians (which often leads to corruption) and their tax-dodging ways.

I got that from Wiki-fecking-pedia, like. Essentially they want transparency, for people/corporations to be held responsible for their actions and for goverment policies to better reflect the needs of the many rather than the privileged few. It's summed up in a rather neat and catchy phrase you may have heard once or twice over the last few months. Do I need to tell you what that is as well?

I have no problem with people agreeing/disagreeing with the Occupy movement but to not even bother finding out what it is before you dismiss it is kind of ridculous. It's not their fault you can't use Google or, you know, stop in the street and ask them, or read a newspaper.
Ive chatted with them many a time. A misguided bunch of well meaning tinfoil hats, hopeless idealists and crusties who have no idea how the world actually works. Hopefully the soup kitchen thing takes off. They might as well do something useful while the taxpayer funds them as well as NAMA.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farel' View Post
And how does sitting in a tent on common ground in a city centre achieve this?
It's not so much the sitting in tents but the 'where' and 'how' they're doing it. First it raises awareness, it causes a nuisance for the authorities and those seen as responsible for what happened, it changes the discourse and draws attention to these issues, meaning they have to be discussed/dealt with. In general, that's how protests work. They're now moving onto the next stage which is to be more proactive than just raising the issue and asking how it can be solved (see the 'occupying derelict buildings' in today's newspaper).

The Occupy type of protests is a lot more effective than the "everyone march for the afternoon, feel better about yourselves and then go home" type. And it's a lot more constructive than the violent uprising type of protest too (in a democracy anyway!)

If you want an example of its effectiveness, people are still talking about it, and the issues surrounding it, six months or more later.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzMcG View Post
It's not so much the sitting in tents but the 'where' and 'how' they're doing it. First it raises awareness, it causes a nuisance for the authorities and those seen as responsible for what happened, it changes the discourse and draws attention to these issues, meaning they have to be discussed/dealt with. In general, that's how protests work. They're now moving onto the next stage which is to be more proactive than just raising the issue and asking how it can be solved (see the 'occupying derelict buildings' in today's newspaper).

The Occupy type of protests is a lot more effective than the "everyone march for the afternoon, feel better about yourselves and then go home" type. And it's a lot more constructive than the violent uprising type of protest too (in a democracy anyway!)

If you want an example of its effectiveness, people are still talking about it, and the issues surrounding it, six months or more later.
The only people in cork who noticed was those who wished to commemorate their dead relatives in November.
Oh and the coffee drinkers in electric, whose view of the river you partially obscured.
Hardly Potemkin.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farel' View Post
The only people in cork who noticed was those who wished to commemorate their dead relatives in November.
Oh and the coffee drinkers in electric, whose view of the river you partially obscured.
Hardly Potemkin.
Eh, I'm not down there. I do agree with many of their stated goals, as do millions of other people. You asked how protests work and I explained it. And in the previous post, someone wanted to know what the goals were (which I think are pretty obvious to everyone, effectiveness aside).

'Tis a lovely view though, in fairness. And, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure they moved aside in Nov for the anniversary.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 AM

fairplay to those lads.. a credit to Cork.