Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
Can I just say u could substitute the word "irish" in my nationality statements with any of the home countries. Nothing against the irish...
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I couldn't play for Ireland as am not Irish, not rocket science. Forget my grandparents, I'M NOT Irish. If I was, I off declared myself 4 em
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Mmm....relevant. Don't worry Matt and co. I forgive u, for u not neither what ur on about, nor r u relevant anymore. #sadlittlemen
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Haha Matt Holland best not of been using my name in vain on a sh*tty radio talkshow. Remember playing against him, well when I say playing..
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Many irish players are related to people who HAD to leave, his country partly responsible too (and i'm no nationalist)

A shit generalisation by him IMO

And many other countries do the same thing, including England in soccer and other sports
fair point stevie, terry butcher, john barnes and owen hargreaves spring to mind.

Having said that there's a difference between lads like steven Reid and alan Kelly who were English born but have a distinct Irish identity and played for Ireland underage etc and the likes of jermaine pennant and micky evans.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCork80 View Post
fair point stevie, terry butcher, john barnes and owen hargreaves spring to mind.

Having said that there's a difference between lads like steven Reid and alan Kelly who were English born but have a distinct Irish identity and played for Ireland underage etc and the likes of jermaine pennant and micky evans.
Agree

In fairness the pennant thing was met with distain here

Bartons generalisation was pathetic and holland has since responded in a dignified way

The Irish diaspora is scattered around England etc for a reason, and I doubt many of these guys relatives wanted to jump on boats to manchester, Liverpool, London etc

The pennants though are just cynical

Are we still trying to get Kevin Nolan? (lol)
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEG View Post
Many irish players are related to people who HAD to leave, his country partly responsible too (and i'm no nationalist)

A shit generalisation by him IMO

And many other countries do the same thing, including England in soccer and other sports
I'm born and raised in england, I didn't meet anyone who called themselves english till I was 11. All of my mates define themselves by the county their parents came from. My sister is still there, and her kids are born into an "Irish" household

Dave Kitson said he feels english, so could never play for Ireland, that is fair enough as far as I am concerned but I'll not have Joey Barton define my identity for me.

Of course he's entitled to not be defined by what his family are.....but then the brother of a racist murderer would say that.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBhoy View Post
I'm born and raised in england, I didn't meet anyone who called themselves english till I was 11. All of my mates define themselves by the county their parents came from. My sister is still there, and her kids are born into an "Irish" household

Dave Kitson said he feels english, so could never play for Ireland, that is fair enough as far as I am concerned but I'll not have Joey Barton define my identity for me.

Of course he's entitled to not be defined by what his family are.....but then the brother of a racist murderer would say that.
Exactly
Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelBhoy View Post

Well said
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Paul McGrath replied.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Maybe JB should have a look at the "English" cricket team over the years , full of blow ins or maybe someone should educate him re Zola Budd.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Lads relax it's Joey Barton the guy is borderline retarded.

Last edited by raZor; 10-01-2012 at 09:40 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raZor View Post
Lads relax it's Joey Barton they guy is borderline retarded.
True, the day he says anything worth listening to will be a cold day in hell