Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 AM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
You post this to agree with a guy who lives his life on the principle that things are great if they wind up members of a reasonably well supported political party?
No I posted it because Black_Y is your perpetual moan and permanently outraged at the world.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:21 PM

Most ministers make no impression whatsoever. She hasn't been a minister for a long time, but I can recall 2 significant things she did: the ban on smokey coal and the introduction of the minimum wage.
Old 15-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
Most ministers make no impression whatsoever. She hasn't been a minister for a long time, but I can recall 2 significant things she did: the ban on smokey coal and the introduction of the minimum wage.
Depends on what you mean by make an impression - you talking about on seats or trying to hang a whistle blower out to dry.

Mehole Martin brought in the plastic bag ban and smoking ban which were tow very positive steps imho - but he's also responsible for removing the Health Boards on the grounds of inefficiency and replaced them with the HSE which has been decidedly worse.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day so it's not all together surprising that a long serving minister over a few portfolios would manage to get something right at some stage.
Old 18-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Depends on what you mean by make an impression - you talking about on seats or trying to hang a whistle blower out to dry.

Mehole Martin brought in the plastic bag ban and smoking ban which were tow very positive steps imho - but he's also responsible for removing the Health Boards on the grounds of inefficiency and replaced them with the HSE which has been decidedly worse.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day so it's not all together surprising that a long serving minister over a few portfolios would manage to get something right at some stage.
I think most people would say Mary Harney was a dynamic and competent politician when she was younger but she was eventually captured by the system and the bureaucracy.

I think she was squeaky clean but she ended up morally corrupted, to paraphrase Johnny Giles, she was morally corrupt, but not physically corrupt. Kind of the opposite of Bertie Ahern who took the money but wouldn't do anything for it.