Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Eoin Eoin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dublin
Posts: 30,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
Let's not look for miracles.


Sweden have got to a World Cup semi-finals twice (the same as England), and are a strong football nation.
Beaten finalists in 58, but that was on their home patch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Jinky Jinky is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
They (Argentina) made it comfortably in the end. Whooped Uruguay on their own patch.
But Messi still has to make a mark at the World Cup.

France aren't that good.

**

Ibrahimovich has yet to make his mark at a World Cup (has never scored), and won't do at the next one. Despite a similar Sweden out-qualifying Denmark in the previous qualifiers.
Ibrahimovich failed to perform in the qualifiers.


Great players lift their nations (see Keane in the 2002 qualifiers)
And George Best?

Mark Hughes?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
samsung samsung is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
Hold up, he's not my favouritestestest player in the world ever, or anything like that. But he's been widely derided as being shite personified by all the experts from the British isles. Any of those of us who've tried to buck the trend on here by saying 'No, he's actually a rather good player, perhaps you shouldn't be basing your opinion on the three games every two years you've seen him play' have been laughed out of here. Now that people are getting to see him play in a team those of us from Arland and Blighty can view, I wonder how or even if people can justify their previous badly-informed opinions.

It's going to be an interesting season seeing them squirm.
He IS shite.......when you actually need him to score that is! Where was he for Barcelona in their champions league game against mediocre opposition tonight?? Exactly...he went hiding, didnt score and now Barca could be in a spot of bother in that group
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebull View Post
canty is just a workhorse who will be badly exposed sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Jinky Jinky is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
He IS shite.......when you actually need him to score that is! Where was he for Barcelona in their champions league game against mediocre opposition tonight?? Exactly...he went hiding, didnt score and now Barca could be in a spot of bother in that group
He took them on on his own? No Messi? No Iniesta?

It's black or white on here. Mores the pity.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:45 PM
BlueSkies BlueSkies is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,447
Default

He really stood out tonight alright.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 PM
xvis xvis is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
Beaten finalists in 58, but that was on their home patch.
Ditto England. One final on their home patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
And George Best?

Mark Hughes?
Northern Ireland are an international backwater. But Best produced in the later stages of the European Cup - in contrast to Ibrahimovich.


Hughes - again, is Wales even a country? ..or just England's bitches?


..Hughes was never one of the World greats. A very fine player, but not top bracket.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
samsung samsung is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
He took them on on his own? No Messi? No Iniesta?

It's black or white on here. Mores the pity.
Well this IS a thread about the merits of IBRAHIMOVIC genius!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebull View Post
canty is just a workhorse who will be badly exposed sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Jinky Jinky is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
Well this IS a thread about the merits of IBRAHIMOVIC genius!
Ah ok. So Barca don't score and it's his fault. Fair enough.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
samsung samsung is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
Ah ok. So Barca don't score and it's his fault. Fair enough.
We're talking about his contribution as a player so obviously we'll look at what he does for Barca...not look at Messi or Iniesta!

Maybe you should go back to page 1 of this thread and read through each post very slowly and very carefuly and you might get an understanding of what we're discussing on here. That a boy..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebull View Post
canty is just a workhorse who will be badly exposed sunday.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Jinky Jinky is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
We're talking about his contribution as a player so obviously we'll look at what he does for Barca...not look at Messi or Iniesta!

Maybe you should go back to page 1 of this thread and read through each post very slowly and very carefuly and you might get an understanding of what we're discussing on here. That a boy..
Well while we're on contribution as a player then, maybe you can go back to post one yourself:

8 leagues in the last nine years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.