Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquark View Post
Zero goals in 17 matches in the knock out stages of the champions league.
Had a very poor world cup qualifying campaign where Sweden were knocked out.
Didn't stop him making the UEFA CL team of the season a few years back. Sweden are in a woeful state at the moment. They could always rely on a core of solid pros plying their trades in Europes top leagues, and a couple of players of genuine quality... Jona Thern, Patrik Anderson, Brolin and Dahlberg (at their peak form), Larsson, etc etc.

They don't really have any of that now, just a lot of poor Scandinavian-based players, a couple ambling along in some of the better leagues flying under the radar, and it would take more than Maradona to turn that muck into gold. Swedish football's in crisis IMHO.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM

FFS, anyone would look good playing up front with a "glorified Park!"
Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
8 leagues in the last nine years*.

(including Juve cheat titles).

Dragged Inter across the line single-handedly so may times it's untrue.

Now lighting up the Camp Nou where he has been the star of the season so for in a team with start coming out of their ears.

First Barca to score in gis first games ever, and that's leaving aside assists.

What a player.

I think it's humble pie time for all the so-called British and Irish 'experts' who've seen play one-and-half game every two years brigade.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic.... I salute thee!

He's like the anti-Ballack.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:54 PM

..I dunno, Nicklas Bendtner is going to the World Cup with Denmark, whilst Zlatan Ibrahimovic will enjoy a traditional mid-summer at home, and doesn't even make the play-offs.

Surely Sepp Blatter could have done something to get him to the finals??

The jury is still out.

There's not much between the squads, ..If he was that good he'd have made a difference.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
Hold up, he's not my favouritestestest player in the world ever, or anything like that. But he's been widely derided as being shite personified by all the experts from the British isles. Any of those of us who've tried to buck the trend on here by saying 'No, he's actually a rather good player, perhaps you shouldn't be basing your opinion on the three games every two years you've seen him play' have been laughed out of here. Now that people are getting to see him play in a team those of us from Arland and Blighty can view, I wonder how or even if people can justify their previous badly-informed opinions.

It's going to be an interesting season seeing them squirm.
If I was up front for Barcelona with that midfield behind me I'd score a share of goals too.

He's not a player that captures the imagination really, reminds me of Berbatov a bit TBH as a player that isnt seen to be putting in the work.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM

Give me Eto'o anyday over him.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
..I dunno, Nicklas Bendtner is going to the World Cup with Denmark, whilst Zlatan Ibrahimovic will enjoy a traditional mid-summer at home, and doesn't even make the play-offs.

Surely Sepp Blatter could have done something to get him to the finals??

The jury is still out.

There's not much between the squads, ..If he was that good he'd have made a difference.
Messi came within minutes of not making the World Cup. If he was that good they wouldn't have been in that position. France have an abundance of talent who if they were that good they wouldn't be facing us in a playoff.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
Messi came within minutes of not making the World Cup. If he was that good they wouldn't have been in that position. France have an abundance of talent who if they were that good they wouldn't be facing us in a playoff.
They (Argentina) made it comfortably in the end. Whooped Uruguay on their own patch.
But Messi still has to make a mark at the World Cup.

France aren't that good.

Ibrahimovich has yet to make his mark at a World Cup (has never scored), and won't do at the next one. Despite a similar Sweden out-qualifying Denmark in the previous qualifiers.
Ibrahimovich failed to perform in the qualifiers.

Great players lift their nations (see Keane in the 2002 qualifiers)
Old 04-11-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvis View Post
They (Argentina) made it comfortably in the end. Whooped Uruguay on their own patch.
But Messi still has to make a mark at the World Cup.

France aren't that good.

Ibrahimovich has yet to make his mark at a World Cup (has never scored), and won't do at the next one. Despite a similar Sweden out-qualifying Denmark in the previous qualifiers.
Ibrahimovich failed to perform in the qualifiers.

Great players lift their nations (see Keane in the 2002 qualifiers)
what about Giggs?
Old 04-11-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco 2005 View Post
what about Giggs?
Let's not look for miracles.

Sweden have got to a World Cup semi-finals twice (the same as England), and are a strong football nation.