Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Slow_Hands Slow_Hands is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 349
Default

Boil it and leave in water over night, the only way. You can pull the meat away with your bare hands, Om Nom Nom.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM
de mange de mange is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dumpland
Posts: 13,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Hands View Post
Boil it and leave in water over night, the only way. You can pull the meat away with your bare hands, Om Nom Nom.
Do you leave it in the vac pac to keep the spices on the meat or remove and into the water?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Slow_Hands Slow_Hands is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de mange View Post
Do you leave it in the vac pac to keep the spices on the meat or remove and into the water?
Out of the pack, you wont lose any flavour when its left in the water as it kinda soaks it all back in over night. Must ask de mother to see how long you boil it though.

The smell in the kitchen is only fantastic! Jesus I'm starving!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
de mange de mange is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dumpland
Posts: 13,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Hands View Post
Out of the pack, you wont lose any flavour when its left in the water as it kinda soaks it all back in over night. Must ask de mother to see how long you boil it though.

The smell in the kitchen is only fantastic! Jesus I'm starving!
Nice one, different approach required this year!

The smell is one of them christmas things.. that, mulled wine and the christmas tree
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Slow_Hands Slow_Hands is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 349
Default

I'll get the proper cooking instructions we use later and throw it up here.

Supplier is important too, should be left to cure for at least a month. Got one last year was only left to cure for two weeks I found out later, tasted like a regular joint of beef. Nearly ruined Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
elwood blues elwood blues is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: frantically looking for my libido
Posts: 10,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de mange View Post
Do you leave it in the vac pac to keep the spices on the meat or remove and into the water?
take it out of the bag, bring it to the boil in a covered saucepan then once the water is boiling turn down the heat to the lowest possible setting then just let it simmer away with the lid on for about 20 minutes per pound plus 20,let it cool over night in the water.
__________________
anything that bleeds for 5 days every month without dying deserves the odd bunch of flowers.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM
de mange de mange is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dumpland
Posts: 13,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_Hands View Post
I'll get the proper cooking instructions we use later and throw it up here.

Supplier is important too, should be left to cure for at least a month. Got one last year was only left to cure for two weeks I found out later, tasted like a regular joint of beef. Nearly ruined Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood blues View Post
take it out of the bag, bring it to the boil in a covered saucepan then once the water is boiling turn down the heat to the lowest possible setting then just let it simmer away with the lid on for about 20 minutes per pound plus 20,let it cool over night in the water.
Nice wan - I roasted it last year and it just drained every drop of moisture out of it
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM
elwood blues elwood blues is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: frantically looking for my libido
Posts: 10,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de mange View Post
Nice wan - I roasted it last year and it just drained every drop of moisture out of it
you are fucking joking I take it,
if not you shouldn't be left within an asses roar of a kitchen.
__________________
anything that bleeds for 5 days every month without dying deserves the odd bunch of flowers.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
de mange de mange is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: dumpland
Posts: 13,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood blues View Post
you are fucking joking I take it,
if not you shouldn't be left within an asses roar of a kitchen.
was given advice that it was the way to go - It was completely covered in foil and sealed so it was like a steam bath in theory, but it was shit
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Pepe Pepe is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Playboy of Beggars Bush
Posts: 18,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by de mange View Post
I made a balls of ours last year - took advice on how to cook it on here an' all

was like old boots.. fecked it into the bin



I have a slow cooker - how did you cook it?
Ya slower cookers can be quite tricky. I think mine came out well though purely by chance.

Had a brisket recently and followed online guidelines only for it to be undercooked, so this time I cooked the spice beef (about 1kg id say) for 4hrs on high and 5 hrs on low.

Turn it off and leave it cool in the pot for an hour. Take her out and make sure its cooled down before slicing her up.

That worked for me anyways.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.