Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 28-04-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaglas View Post
,I told terrier that I had plans to win it but since then there's another few very good runners after entering. We'll see what happens.
Yeah the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when you were telling me about that race Carta. Go for it lad - it will be very interesting to see how the last few laps go for you. The fact that it's on roads not trails will mean a different type of race as well

Quote:
It's meant to be freezing at the start,actually 1' C getting up to about 9 C and windy,some difference from a few weeks ago.
FFS - I thought it was always 34 degrees C over there, no?

Last edited by BlackpoolTerrier; 29-04-2012 at 01:13 AM..
Old 28-04-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
Yeah the hairs stood up on the back of my neck when you were telling me about that race Carta. Go for it lad - it will be very interesting to see how the last few laps top for you. The fact that it's on roads not trails will mean a different type of race as well

FFS - I thought it was always 34 degrees C over there, no?
I only wish fella,my heart sank when I saw the forecast
Old 29-04-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
The madness starts here again in the morning. I have my first ever 100k in the morning in Connecticut. It's all on roads,a 7 mile loop around a lake with rolling hills,I hate when they describe it like that. I'll be honest I have high hopes of a serious placing here,I told terrier that I had plans to win it but since then there's another few very good runners after entering. We'll see what happens. It's meant to be freezing at the start,actually 1' C getting up to about 9 C and windy,some difference from a few weeks ago. 3 hour drive to start with so early to bed for me tonight.

Any decision yet Rebel Cork?
FFS. Only 100km going from a freezing start up to 9 C? Would you ever man up and try something difficult?!!

I'm going cycling that distance in the morning and I'm dreading it!

Best of luck with it Carta, ya crazy fecker. No doubt you'll push it to 120 km with your warmup and cooldown!
Old 29-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
The madness starts here again in the morning. I have my first ever 100k in the morning in Connecticut. It's all on roads,a 7 mile loop around a lake with rolling hills,I hate when they describe it like that. I'll be honest I have high hopes of a serious placing here,I told terrier that I had plans to win it but since then there's another few very good runners after entering. We'll see what happens. It's meant to be freezing at the start,actually 1' C getting up to about 9 C and windy,some difference from a few weeks ago. 3 hour drive to start with so early to bed for me tonight.

Any decision yet Rebel Cork?
No fianl decision.Did 12 miler on fri. 7 mins 45 average pace.Felt good afterwards and no complications since.My plan now is to tip away during the week and try a 16 miler next Sat.Hopefully Ill come trhough that and if its positive Ill enetr the full one.

When I think about it sometimes it makes me a bit nervous but in the frame of mind Im in Im fully confident I can do it.

Gd luck with ure 100k madness!!!Fair play to u
Old 29-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Good luck with that Carta. Read it out there at the breakfast table and the comments went something like this:

M. "100k, what kind of madness is that?"
C. "Complete madness"
M. "Dad is really tired (!) after 42, imagine running 100"

Two of the daughters, aged 14 and 10. I'll be heading out for a ball breaking 16 k job later.

No comment.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Best of luck with that carta ya fuckin lunatic. I look forward to reading the report.

My training has been interrupted by all sorts of distractions (work at home and abroad, stags, weddings and all sorts of other things besides) but I'm still just about on track for the Waterford City Half on June 30th.

I did 8 yesterday for my long one, moving up to doing 10's then for about 5 weeks and then an 11 and 12 before the race. I won't be doing any PB's but the main thing is just to do it. The real target setting will be for races in the second half of the year.

Main schedule for the next couple of months (work and travel permitting) will be speed session on Mondays, yoga on Tuesdays, 4-6 mile road run at a decent pace on Thursdays and a long one on Saturdays (working that up to 17 miles by September in preparation for Cork-Cobh).

The targets for nice times are Cork-Cobh in October and the Waterford AC Half in December.
Old 29-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Completed my scheduled 18 miles this morning down in Harty's Quay. Went clockwise over the bridge and down the line, turned onto the Marina, past the castle and back to Harty's Quay. I did this 3 times into what I could only describe at 7am on a Sunday morning as a Siberian fncking wind tunnel. I hated everyone on this thread for the first 6 miles but I'm over it now.

Good luck Carta!
Old 29-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyboy View Post
Completed my scheduled 18 miles this morning down in Harty's Quay. Went clockwise over the bridge and down the line, turned onto the Marina, past the castle and back to Harty's Quay. I did this 3 times into what I could only describe at 7am on a Sunday morning as a Siberian fncking wind tunnel. I hated everyone on this thread for the first 6 miles but I'm over it now.

Good luck Carta!
Nice work. You training for a specific race?
Old 30-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Wonder how Carta got on. Any word?

Looks like this might be the official website but no results up yet.
Old 30-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Should be an interesting race report.

I see Fionnuala Britton is going to be a busy lady at the Olympics