Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
How did the weekend run(s) go, Terrier?
Cheers C - I did two runs - still on grass.

Friday - 8 miles at 7:08 - happy with that, calves good - sole of right foot still sore

Sunday - 16 miles at 7:22 - again, calves in good shape. The right foot problem is not going away though - very sore after mile 15. The physio thought it was part of the fried calves problem but rest and physio is having no effect on it. Looks like a deeper issue - will try to nurse it through to Boston.

That's 30 miles for the week. Will aim for 40 this week with a long run on Sunday. Need to get back on the tarmac too.
Old 20-03-2012, 12:45 AM

Great day in Mallow today. Well over 1100 runners apparently and the pre race reg was quick and efficient. Online entries were numbered in no time and day reg was just a simple form.

The start was a mile from the reg point but that was handy for warm up.

I took it handy from the start but got my pace up as the miles went by. I came in at 1:21 which is a PB . My 5 mile split was a PB too so my didn't slow stall in the second 5 miles.

A fair course too - no hills of any note and really well marshalled.

Well done to all concerned.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzy View Post
Great day in Mallow today. Well over 1100 runners apparently and the pre race reg was quick and efficient. Online entries were numbered in no time and day reg was just a simple form.

I took it handy from the start but got my pace up as the miles went by. I came in at 1:21 which is a PB . My 5 mile split was a PB too so my didn't slow stall in the second 5 miles.

Good man Gozzy - well done lad. Any day you get a PB is a good day.

Was talking to a buddy running it who said miles 3 to 5 were the worst with the headwind out the Killarney road but apart from that he found the course great.

That's a good booster for you in the Cork preparation. Any ideas on a target time there yet?
Old 20-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks Terrier.

I'm doing Limerick not Cork. I'm targeting a sub 4 hour marathon although I'll be happy to just complete it as it's my first.

Mind you I felt I had a lot left in the tank yesterday so that's encouraging. Just have to stay injury free.
Old 20-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Good work on the PB Gozzy. Always a nice way to finish up a race and a sign that training's going well!!
Old 20-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Dumpland View Post
Good work on the PB Gozzy. Always a nice way to finish up a race and a sign that training's going well!!
Sound out. I'd love one more race before Limerick though. I must have a look off RunIreland tonight...
Old 20-03-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks Terrier.

I'm doing Limerick not Cork. I'm targeting a sub 4 hour marathon although I'll be happy to just complete it as it's my first.

Mind you I felt I had a lot left in the tank yesterday so that's encouraging. Just have to stay injury free.
Sorry Gozzy - I forgot you were doing Limerick.

81 minutes means you're capable of well under 4hrs according to MacMillan

It's another thing actually doing it though...
Old 20-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:

well done on the PB Gozzy.
Old 20-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Got back on the tarmac this morning and did 8 down the line towards Monkstown. Went well and was able to knock out miles 2 through 6 at 6:50 average before winding down for the last two. Hopefully the recovery will continue.

Was just filling in the miles in the log and I noticed that injury came at a planned period of downtime anyway

The blue line is target mileage for the weeks of the program. The red line is the actual mileage completed each week so far. So if I can increase towards 40 miles this week I can get back on track without too much loss. The two dips were planned for Dungarvan and the Burren half-marathon up in Kinvara. So the second dip was well-timed for the injury coming in week 9. The tail-off at the end is the taper.

Of course the quality of the running during the recovery is not as high as planned and you won't get that back. The goal is not to screw it up now by going too hard - sub-3 is very unlikely but it's important to get there in as good a shape as recovery will allow and to run well.
Old 20-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Sound out. I'd love one more race before Limerick though. I must have a look off RunIreland tonight...
The Cobh 10-miler is on in April Gozzy - would be ideal as a last training run