Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Nokia N95 or LGU990?

Well techies, which would you recommend? Or would I better off looking elsewhere?

Not all that interested in using either as a music player, but I'm interested in most of the other features.

I can sync my calenders and contacts on Nokia with my Mac, which is very handy... can't seem to find if LG is Mac compatible, or not.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho chi feen View Post
Well techies, which would you recommend? Or would I better off looking elsewhere?

Not all that interested in using either as a music player, but I'm interested in most of the other features.

I can sync my calenders and contacts on Nokia with my Mac, which is very handy... can't seem to find if LG is Mac compatible, or not.
Not mac compatible as far as i know. Try and get the new N95 - has 8gb built in. more expensive alright though.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldnthinkofaname View Post
Not mac compatible as far as i know. Try and get the new N95 - has 8gb built in. more expensive alright though.
Not so easy to get hold- then again, I cannot possibly see what I could need 8gb on a mobile phone for.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Not so easy to get hold- then again, I cannot possibly see what I could need 8gb on a mobile phone for.
actually far as i know still only available in the UK. See the new iphone prices? Love how 02 can fuck us over compared to the Uk
Old 17-03-2008, 05:13 PM

the battery in lg phones are shite. This is usually the best reason to buy a phone nothing irrates ya more than having to charge your phone every fooking day like.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 PM

Anyone else got any views on this?

AFAIK, the specs in 3's catalogue give the U990 a better battery life than the N95.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 PM

they both look class!!!! nokias piss me off. thats cause i had them for ages, even though i never had any problems i changed. got a sharp, said it had a great battery life, after about a month it went from a weekly charge to every two days, then after bout 6 months nearly twice a day, depending on how much i used it. Never had i owned a nokia that the battery detiorated that quick!!!! now i have a sony ericsson and its brilliant couldnt asked for anything else from a phone, easy to use and all that, its on 3 and i like the network so far.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Anyone else got any views on this?

AFAIK, the specs in 3's catalogue give the U990 a better battery life than the N95.
Battery life is mediocre, to be honest, it's possibly it's only failing. You'll get 2 days out of it on moderate use, heavy use, with things like music, videos, WiFi usage and pictures and you'll need to recharge it every day.

The Viewty (christ, what a name...) has a pretty good camera, it's low light performance is better (the flash is significantly better), it's daylight performance probably isn't as good.

There's a few other things from a camera point of view that the Viewty is good for, there's a pretty cool slow motion/fast capture mode.

I don't know if the LG can take the larger capacity microSD cards but the N95 can, currently 8gb for about £30 in the UK.

Few other things:
Don't think the LG has WiFi, can be very handy when abroad or not on a decent data plan. The LG also has a pretty closed OS, whereas there's literally thousands of applications available for the Nokia. Also, the Nokia has the proper keypad, personally, I'm not a fan of virtual keypads. And there's the GPS on the N95, which is nice and getting better with every firmware upgrade apparently.
Also, LG's operatign system isn't exactly know as being easy to work with. The N95s is alright, it's no iPhone, but it's handy enough.

Personally, I think the LG is a nice fashionable phone for those who want a good camera and a good looking phone. The N95 is the modern Swiss Army knife. With less stabbing...
Old 07-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall D View Post
they both look class!!!! nokias piss me off. thats cause i had them for ages, even though i never had any problems i changed. got a sharp, said it had a great battery life, after about a month it went from a weekly charge to every two days, then after bout 6 months nearly twice a day, depending on how much i used it. Never had i owned a nokia that the battery detiorated that quick!!!! now i have a sony ericsson and its brilliant couldnt asked for anything else from a phone, easy to use and all that, its on 3 and i like the network so far.
It's not unusual for batteries to deteriorate so quickly, they have an average life span of about 2 years anyway. Bring it back to the retailer and you should be able to wrangle a new one out of them.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM

i just changed phones, i was on vodafone anyway