Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Anyone recently do there driving test?

Got mine Wednesday's out in Wilton, Anyone got any things i should know that might come as a surprise? Apparently my progress is bad and my instructer said i would fail on that alone. should i be up at the speed limit all the time?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-11-2007, 09:24 AM

For the love of God look in your mirrors BEFORE indicating. I was doing it at the same time and got burned!

The rules of the road: be sure to know about yellow boxes and stuff. Don't forget the hand signals either.
They're all the standard things but it's easy to overlook them thinking "errah, I'll be grand sure"... Best of luck anyway.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Níall (Neil) View Post
Got mine Wednesday's out in Wilton, Anyone got any things i should know that might come as a surprise? Apparently my progress is bad and my instructer said i would fail on that alone. should i be up at the speed limit all the time?

Thanks for the help
you should get up through the gears as fast as possible (but obviously not doing a boy racer on it) . if the limit is 30mph, you should be driving at 29mph. in my first test i only went as far as 3rd gear doing that speed and got marked for it so get into 4th. observation is very important and they will slaughter you for not checking your mirrors. don't cross your hands while steering, i'm sure your instructer has been telling you all this. as long as you concentrate you'll be grand.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:38 AM

If you haven't ever done the reversing round a corner by Summerstown Stores*, practice it a few times before taking the test. They take people down there occasionally, and it can be a bitch to manouevre if you're doing it for the first time. Caught me out badly the first time I did the test.

*Do I have the name of the shop right here, folks? The one that's half-way down Summerstown Rd. in Wilton/Glasheen, with a bit of a car-park out front. You know the one.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Got mine Wednesday's out in Wilton, Anyone got any things i should know that might come as a surprise? Apparently my progress is bad and my instructor said i would fail on that alone. should i be up at the speed limit all the time?

Thanks for the help

you should fail for not knowing that alone. if you are a good driver you will pass, by the sounds of it you wont and deservedly so.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingy View Post
For the love of God look in your mirrors BEFORE indicating. I was doing it at the same time and got burned!
Basically look in your mirrors every single time he gives you a command, before you do anything else. Move your head so he can see you do it. They like to see good awareness that there are other cars on the road besides you.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help
Get lessons befor or you will fail. I have the number of a good instructor that knows all the routes if you want to PM me for it. One or two lessons from him and you'll be flying it. He'll give you all the tips that you need.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
Get lessons befor or you will fail. I have the number of a good instructor that knows all the routes if you want to PM me for it. One or two lessons from him and you'll be flying it. He'll give you all the tips that you need.

Ya,it really helps to go over the actual possible routes beforehand. I had practised on mine with a good instructor and passed.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
should i be up at the speed limit all the time?
did you say you had an instructor, are you paying that instructor much?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
Get lessons befor or you will fail.

never got a lesson in my life, passed first time round,
most of the people i know never got lessons, they all passed first go.
but that was 15years ago, before this new fad of lessons and driving instructors came about, when the only people who got lessons were women who failed the test over 5 times or blind pensioners
now the fad is "ya cant pass unless you get instruction"
fools and money spring to mind