tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Private sector nurses paid more than public sector - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
Whatever, private nurses might be more expensive on an hourly basis, but not on a long-term basis.

They're the same nurses anyway, if they think they can make more as private sector, they can simply give up their pensionable public sector cushy numbers.

What's your point, caller?
My point is most of them don't collect pensions for thirty years as you tried to imply they did, earlier.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
My point is most of them don't collect pensions for thirty years as you tried to imply they did, earlier.
A) I said 'there's a good chance' not 'most of them will collect for 30 years
B) no-one actually knows what future pension liabilities will be for nurses. If you want to tell me I'm wrong you'll have to wait until the current crop of nurses retire and then wait another 20+ years until the majority of them die, so feel free to bump this thread in 2071.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
A) I said 'there's a good chance' not 'most of them will collect for 30 years
B) no-one actually knows what future pension liabilities will be for nurses. If you want to tell me I'm wrong you'll have to wait until the current crop of nurses retire and then wait another 20+ years until the majority of them die, so feel free to bump this thread in 2071.
Ah yes. You were clearly speculating about nurses in the future and not now.. ..

There still isn't a good chance they'll be living for 30 years after they retire. Lots of them will work until 68, and the average life expectancy is expected to rise to about 87 - 88 by 2046.

That's still nowhere near 30 year pensions. And if no one knows what the future will bring, why are you bestowing thirty year pensions on nurses?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Ah yes. You were clearly speculating about nurses in the future and not now.. ..

There still isn't a good chance they'll be living for 30 years after they retire. Lots of them will work until 68, and the average life expectancy is expected to rise to about 87 - 88 by 2046.

That's still nowhere near 30 year pensions. And if no one knows what the future will bring, why are you bestowing thirty year pensions on nurses?
Current retiree nurses rarely get the full pension because they had to quit their job when they got married.

30 year pensions are going to be a problem in the future, not just for nurses.

If the expected life expectancy of a 65 year old woman is 22 years, then I'd guesstimate at least 20% of them would live for 30.

I'd expect the figures to be higher in the future (though nurses are divils for the wine o'clock).
Old 11-02-2019, 10:33 PM

so it’s true, like for like jobs and the private sector gets paid more
Old 11-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Star View Post
so it’s true, like for like jobs and the private sector gets paid more
Link?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxetten View Post
Indeed. I know of nurses who retired in the mid 90s and are still going strong.

The way to deal with this is to have their pension entitlements diminish over time so that for example the full pension would be doled out to them for the first 10 years after retirement and from then onwards there would be 20% reduction for every further 5 years they live until they reach the same level as the standard old age pension at which rate they would stay until they pass on to the next world.

If you think about it my suggestion makes perfect sense, why waste money on these elderly people who have little need of it when you could spend the money on helping working parents with their child care costs?
Why should that be the case just for nurses though? I can see some merit in a tapering off of pensions but I think the 20% is too steep. And you don't want folk to end up destitute. Perhaps an overall 1% taper per year for first 10 years, and 2% per year after that to a max of another 10 years. So that someone at 75 would be on 90% pension (which at 100% is a max half of salary) and at 85+ they'd be on 70%. Naturally such a reduced pension should attract smaller pension contributions during working life.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:06 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas376 View Post
I didn't think that nurses' pensions would be as high as 70% of final salary. I know that a teacher's maximum pension is 50% of final salary and they only get that after 40 years service - They also pay tax on that amount. I'd be surprised if nurses pensions are higher than those of teachers.
Nurses pension on DB is calculated as 1/80 th per year worked to a maximum of 1/2 final salary. So she'd need to work 40 years to get that half final salary.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doolaly View Post
My ex-wife, a nurse, who I have not a bad word to say against, will retire on two thirds her final wage....no Insurance/Pension company in the world can offer the same deal to people who are outside the private sector UK.
If she was on DB pre-1995 I think she can opt for 2/3 salary but will get no lump sum. Most actuaries and pension advisors advise against going for the 2/3 option, especially if you're married or have dependants.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior PROC Member

A friend of mine from Cobh left the Public Sector to join the Private Sector a couple of years ago. Says the job and hours are way easier.