Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Will Sky Sports Steal the Soul of Gaelic Games?

Well, they've certainly stolen the soul of football in England so are they doing the same on this side of the Irish Sea?

Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp was one of my favourite Liverpool players as a young girl, but he won't be featuring on my list of top hurlers any time soon. Watching him and England cricketer Freddie Flintoff try score against goalkeeping legend Damien Fitzhenry at half-time in Nowlan Park on Saturday was the latest attempt by Sky to show how they're embracing our 'bonkers' national sport.
The term 'bonkers' has been used by many people in the UK on Twitter ever since hurling was introduced to their TV screens. Look at those mad Irish people running around a field with sticks, bless them.

More at - https://www.independent.ie/sport/ga....-36994620.html
Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 PM

What a bullshit article, if you don't mind me saying so.

Skys analysis is a breath of fresh air compared to the negative shit you see from the RTE crew every Sunday.

Also, with regard to the over lap between the football and the hurling the other night, that was unfortunate but the same thing has happened before with RTE.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelred View Post
What a bullshit article, if you don't mind me saying so.

Skys analysis is a breath of fresh air compared to the negative shit you see from the RTE crew every Sunday.

Also, with regard to the over lap between the football and the hurling the other night, that was unfortunate but the same thing has happened before with RTE.
It's not my article Rebelred so I don't mind your pithy opinion on it!
And, yes, as regards RTE, one can sometimes lose the will to live when the boys start talking.
I just wonder though whether Sky will be a contributing factor in the increasing divide between the haves and the have nots in the game. Football is starting to get like hurling in that five of the last seven All-Irelands have been won by Dublin with Mayo (who else) the runners-up on four occasions.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
It's not my article Rebelred so I don't mind your pithy opinion on it!
And, yes, as regards RTE, one can sometimes lose the will to live when the boys start talking.
I just wonder though whether Sky will be a contributing factor in the increasing divide between the haves and the have nots in the game. Football is starting to get like hurling in that five of the last seven All-Irelands have been won by Dublin with Mayo (who else) the runners-up on four occasions.
It’s a bit more complex than that now.. for a start Dublin has about half the country to pick from!
Old 11-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Sky sports didn't make Wicklow play Dublin in tullamore as opposed to aughrim, sky sports didn't subsidise Dublin gaa do the last 10 years while every other Leinster county was left to rot, sky sports didn't try and shoehorn 5 concerts into 5 nights etc etc the gaaaaa has ZERO strategic direction from hq except to generate finance. Sky sports is a symptom not the cause, the cause started with people in crime park living in ivory towers
Old 11-06-2018, 05:45 PM

How have Sky stolen the soul of knackerball? The sport was overhauled in the early 90s. Sky were only a part of that. The demand for elitism was there from all angles. The economics of GAA are totally different.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelred View Post
what a bullshit article, if you don't mind me saying so.

Skys analysis is a breath of fresh air compared to the negative shit you see from the rte crew every sunday.

Also, with regard to the over lap between the football and the hurling the other night, that was unfortunate but the same thing has happened before with rte.
+1