Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Default Oral History and the Irish Civil War.

I am looking for people with a family connection to the Irish Civil War (1922-1923) to be interviewed for an oral history on how families and communities remember this important period in Irish history. What was the impact of the civil war on your family? How is it remembered? Have there been any stories passed down?

If you had a family (perhaps a grandparent or great-grandparent) actively involved in the conflict on either side I would be very interested in meeting you. I'm especially interested in civil war memories in and about Counties Kerry, Cork, Clare and Limerick, and families of IRA veterans who emigrated in the aftermath of the conflict.

Interviews will be recorded to audio or video or written down, according to your wishes. You will be given a copy of the interview recording. The project has been approved by Concordia University's Human Research Ethics Committee, and all interviewees will be informed in advance about conditions and options of participation.

For more information please contact:

Professor Gavin Foster, School of Canadian Irish Studies, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve W., H-1001, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1M8; tel. ++ 514-848-2424 x 5117; email: gfoster@alcor.concor dia.ca

Thanks for your time.
Old 23-02-2012, 04:31 PM

A college in America is before the courts because they have recordings such as those you are requesting from people here. Just saying like.
Old 23-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Just to confirm this project is strictly about the Irish Civil War in the early 1920's, it is not focused on the Northern Troubles of the 1960's-1990's.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:51 PM

He's pulling ya Que...whatever.

Yeah I've got a story to tell. Or rather my great uncle does. I'll be on to ya by and by.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecois View Post
I am looking for people with a family connection to the Irish Civil War (1922-1923) to be interviewed for an oral history on how families and communities remember this important period in Irish history. What was the impact of the civil war on your family? How is it remembered? Have there been any stories passed down?

If you had a family (perhaps a grandparent or great-grandparent) actively involved in the conflict on either side I would be very interested in meeting you. I'm especially interested in civil war memories in and about Counties Kerry, Cork, Clare and Limerick, and families of IRA veterans who emigrated in the aftermath of the conflict.

Interviews will be recorded to audio or video or written down, according to your wishes. You will be given a copy of the interview recording. The project has been approved by Concordia University's Human Research Ethics Committee, and all interviewees will be informed in advance about conditions and options of participation.

For more information please contact:

Professor Gavin Foster, School of Canadian Irish Studies, Concordia University, 1455 de Maisonneuve W., H-1001, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1M8; tel. ++ 514-848-2424 x 5117; email: gfoster@alcor.concor dia.ca

Thanks for your time.
A decision was taken by the generation involved in the civil war not to pass on the hatred engendered by this fraternal strife to their children. Consequently many of the civil war events were not spoken about but were buried in a conspiracy of silence. Most of the particpants carried their secrets to the grave and unlike the war of independence records both oral and written of the civil war are very limited.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:54 PM

My Grandfather fought for the SFI in the Battle of Saipan but he never talks about it.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHans View Post
My Grandfather fought for the SFI in the Battle of Saipan but he never talks about it.
That's hardly surprising , imagine being on the side of the SFI