Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Newsflash thicko, you can't hold someone else accountable for your behavior.

That's one of the most stupid things I've ever read on here
I suppose if there's enough complaints about a tenant's behaviour, eventually the landlord would just want rid of the nuisance.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I live in the middle of the college district and the vast majority of college students are absolutely grand to live around.
The college “district”
Old 10-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
How often would a landlord find out about that kind of behavior though and what could they do about it? Tenants have fairly strong rights when it comes to eviction etc. It would be in a landlord’s best interest to get rid of problem tenants. There should maybe be some punishment from the college on it. Maybe residents should be able to go to colleges and the colleges in turn deal with the landlords. That might solve it.
The only informed post I've read.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Utter garbage. A landlord is NOT responsible for the actions of a tenant.

Just as I'm not responsible for your idiotic posts.
Wrong.

Quote:
Duty to Third Parties

A landlord of private rented accommodation owes, to each person that could be affected, a duty to enforce the obligations of the tenant under the tenancy
. A third party may be able to refer a dispute to the RTB if they were directly and adversely affected by the breach of duty by a tenant. The RTB have a form for third parties to request this information downloadable from www.prtb.ie
https://www.threshold.ie/advice/deal...-noise-issues/

Quote:
Under Section 15(1) of the Residential Tenancies 2004, a landlord of a rental dwelling owes to each person, who could be potentially affected (e.g. by anti-social behaviour), a duty to enforce the obligations of the tenant under the tenancy. In cases where a landlord fails to enforce a tenant’s obligation under Section 16 of the Act, a directly and adversely affected individual may take a case against the landlord through the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). The case will be heard by an independent RTB adjudicator, who can direct the landlord to enforce their tenants’ obligations. Landlords can also be ordered to make substantial payments to affected parties for the distress caused by their failure to enforce their tenants’ obligations. Please note that third party issues in relation to the standard and maintenance of a rental dwelling are a matter for local authority enforcement and the RTB does not have jurisdiction to deal with such complaints. It should also be noted that in order to provide a fair and neutral service to all parties, the RTB cannot provide legal advice or specific guidance to either party in relation to their dispute.
https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolutio...e-applications
Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drucker View Post
One man’s anti social behaviour is another man’s having the craic.
This is true. When I was in first year in McCurtain's Villas, between College Rd. and Magazine Rd. we had an old b@#$%rd neighbour from Hell who used to phone the cops if we were playing football in the street in the middle of the day.

We had a few Thursday night parties as well and he invariably complained about the noise and probably phoned the cops. Mind you, at one party, a biker who lived across the road stuck his head in the window to complain, so the parties must have been fairly loud.

But back in my day, students were fairly well behaved. They were loud and drunk and liable to piss and puke but they didn't get into fights or vandalize property other than traffic cones or shopping trolleys.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Got evicted from our house in 4th year.
Ended up being discussed on Neil’s show on 96fm one morning.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Senior PROC Member

No one wants to let to students. The place invariably gets destroyed and you have to find a tenant for the summer.

A lot of those places up by college road are utter hovels. Only students would rent them.

Last edited by One; 10-02-2018 at 08:39 PM..
Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
This is true. When I was in first year in McCurtain's Villas, between College Rd. and Magazine Rd. we had an old b@#$%rd neighbour from Hell who used to phone the cops if we were playing football in the street in the middle of the day.

We had a few Thursday night parties as well and he invariably complained about the noise and probably phoned the cops. Mind you, at one party, a biker who lived across the road stuck his head in the window to complain, so the parties must have been fairly loud.

But back in my day, students were fairly well behaved. They were loud and drunk and liable to piss and puke but they didn't get into fights or vandalize property other than traffic cones or shopping trolleys.
You and your fellow students were the neighbours from Hell, why should people be kept awake half the night just because it's student party night? What if those neighbours are trying to get their children to sleep so that they can get up for school in the morning? This is why I think students renting houses in residential areas is a recipe for disaster, frustrating for both students who want to have the craic and for residents who want to get a night's sleep.

Imagine trying to sell a house in that area which was next door to a rundown looking student house? Only an investor would buy it, that's how an area shifts from being residential to student accommodation orientated but it's the residents who are still holding out who get it in the neck and dread the coming of September every year with it's new crop of student gobshites.

Next week will be carnage again with RAG week, there will be a load of angry callers phoning Neil and PJ but all to no avail.

Students Out!
Old 10-02-2018, 09:52 PM

Imagine having noisey student Neighbours when you live near to a university. I mean who could have predicted that students would in in the neighbourhood, the university has only been around for about 7 generations
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang_Sandwich View Post
Imagine having noisey student Neighbours when you live near to a university. I mean who could have predicted that students would in in the neighbourhood, the university has only been around for about 7 generations
Easy to say when your not living there.