tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
IRA interrogated teenage rape victim - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-10-2014, 11:43 AM
westieboyo westieboyo is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,604
Default IRA interrogated teenage rape victim

Maíria Cahill claims the IRA interrogated her after she made rape allegation.

A woman has claimed the IRA forced her to confront her alleged rapist before forcing her into silence to protect the republican movement from her claims.

Maíria Cahill said she was raped as a teenager and was later interrogated by the IRA about her allegations.

She claimed she was subjected to a kangaroo court, while the IRA tried to find out if it was her or her alleged rapist who was telling the truth.

Ms Cahill has waived her right to anonymity to speak to BBC Spotlight.

'Face-to-face meeting'
The Belfast woman is member of one of the republican movement's best-known families.

Her great uncle, Joe Cahill, was one of the founders of the Provisional IRA and a long-time associate of Sinn Féin president, Gerry Adams.

Ms Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

The man denied the allegations and was later acquitted in court.

However, the programme focuses on how the IRA dealt with an alleged rape victim, forcing her to meet face-to-face with the man she claimed had attacked her.

Ms Cahill described how the IRA questioned her repeatedly, often several nights a week, for months about the abuse allegations, before summoning her to a meeting with her alleged abuser in early 2000.

Forced confrontation
"They told me that they were going to read my body language to see who was telling the truth and that they were going to bring him into a room," she said.

The programme will examine what the IRA did following the forced confrontation.

Ms Cahill also said that month later, she met Mr Adams to discuss her abuse allegations.

She later reported the alleged abuse to police, and also named the IRA's so-called investigators.

In a statement, Gerry Adams told Spotlight that he co-operated with the Police Service of Northern Ireland in the course of their investigation.

BBC Spotlight will be broadcast on BBC One Northern Ireland at 22:35 BST on Tuesday 14 October. Available on the iPlayer afterwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29613064
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Stacky Stacky is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 35,959
Default

Gerry Adams spends his political life mentioning "equality and Justice" for "citizens" ad nausium.


Except for anything to do with Sinn Fein / I.R.A. of course.
__________________
"Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the measles of the human race."Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-10-2014, 11:57 AM
richiepurg richiepurg is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,604
Default

IRA and catholic church operated on the same principles, they were above the law.Children suffered because of this.
__________________
Come in till I bate ya.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,602
Default

So Adams isn't just a Paedophile enabler, but also a Rape enabler.

Shameful behaviour.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-10-2014, 02:36 PM
greenmount greenmount is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Default

I am assuming she approached the IRA about the accusation, would it not be believable that they would question here before taking the guy she accused away to be shot
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-10-2014, 02:47 PM
richiepurg richiepurg is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7,604
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmount View Post
I am assuming she approached the IRA about the accusation, would it not be believable that they would question here before taking the guy she accused away to be shot
Think I saw somewhere else, but can't find it right now, that the rapist went onto play a prominent role in SF, never mind being shot.
Will have time for a longer search later.
__________________
Come in till I bate ya.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Duffs Duffs is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmount View Post
I am assuming she approached the IRA about the accusation, would it not be believable that they would question here before taking the guy she accused away to be shot


"Ms Cahill described how the IRA questioned her repeatedly, often several nights a week, for months about the abuse allegations........"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14-10-2014, 10:05 PM
Dick Holder Dick Holder is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 895
Default

The IRA ran a kangaroo court, in a society where the justice system didn't quite work, but were never convinced of the guys guilt it seems. Then, a state/British/Unionist court wasn't convinced either. What's the big deal here?

Whatever happened, it happened in the most fucked up society in the Western world. And the IRA were only one part of what made it fucked up. It's all in the past, and any responsible journalist would leave it there. But I sometimes wonder if there actually is a part of the old mainstream media on both sides of the water, that are convinced that they can educate those of us who now support SF, until we don't support them any more.

Newsflash idiots. I know what the IRA were. I know the hideous, disgusting, depraved things they did, and I know that many of SF's senior members supported them in thos actions. I still vote for SF (mostly because the Socialists don't run a candidate in my constituency), and the things that a terrorist organisation did, in a conflict that was not exclusively of their making, almost two DECADES ago, will not stop me from voting for them. And I'd wager that the same is true for many Sf supporters and younger voters. What'll stop me voting for them, is if I see a move away from core Republican principles in the direction of corrupt self serving bullshit. In that regard, Mr O Snodaigh and his ink cartridges were of much more relevance to me, when I gave SF a mental yellow card.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14-10-2014, 10:32 PM
strict66 strict66 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 17,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Holder View Post
The IRA ran a kangaroo court, in a society where the justice system didn't quite work, but were never convinced of the guys guilt it seems. Then, a state/British/Unionist court wasn't convinced either. What's the big deal here?

Whatever happened, it happened in the most fucked up society in the Western world. And the IRA were only one part of what made it fucked up. It's all in the past, and any responsible journalist would leave it there. But I sometimes wonder if there actually is a part of the old mainstream media on both sides of the water, that are convinced that they can educate those of us who now support SF, until we don't support them any more.

Newsflash idiots. I know what the IRA were. I know the hideous, disgusting, depraved things they did, and I know that many of SF's senior members supported them in thos actions. I still vote for SF (mostly because the Socialists don't run a candidate in my constituency), and the things that a terrorist organisation did, in a conflict that was not exclusively of their making, almost two DECADES ago, will not stop me from voting for them. And I'd wager that the same is true for many Sf supporters and younger voters. What'll stop me voting for them, is if I see a move away from core Republican principles in the direction of corrupt self serving bullshit. In that regard, Mr O Snodaigh and his ink cartridges were of much more relevance to me, when I gave SF a mental yellow card.
How does implementing British rule in a state they vowed to re-unify with Ireland register on this scale . ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Colkitto Colkitto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At home.
Posts: 2,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by westieboyo View Post
Maíria Cahill claims the IRA interrogated her after she made rape allegation.

A woman has claimed the IRA forced her to confront her alleged rapist before forcing her into silence to protect the republican movement from her claims.

Maíria Cahill said she was raped as a teenager and was later interrogated by the IRA about her allegations.

She claimed she was subjected to a kangaroo court, while the IRA tried to find out if it was her or her alleged rapist who was telling the truth.

Ms Cahill has waived her right to anonymity to speak to BBC Spotlight.

'Face-to-face meeting'
The Belfast woman is member of one of the republican movement's best-known families.

Her great uncle, Joe Cahill, was one of the founders of the Provisional IRA and a long-time associate of Sinn Féin president, Gerry Adams.

Ms Cahill said that in 1997, when she was 16, she was subjected to a 12-month cycle of sexual abuse, including rape, by a man who was believed to be a member of the IRA.

The man denied the allegations and was later acquitted in court.

However, the programme focuses on how the IRA dealt with an alleged rape victim, forcing her to meet face-to-face with the man she claimed had attacked her.

Ms Cahill described how the IRA questioned her repeatedly, often several nights a week, for months about the abuse allegations, before summoning her to a meeting with her alleged abuser in early 2000.

Forced confrontation
"They told me that they were going to read my body language to see who was telling the truth and that they were going to bring him into a room," she said.

The programme will examine what the IRA did following the forced confrontation.

Ms Cahill also said that month later, she met Mr Adams to discuss her abuse allegations.

She later reported the alleged abuse to police, and also named the IRA's so-called investigators.

In a statement, Gerry Adams told Spotlight that he co-operated with the Police Service of Northern Ireland in the course of their investigation.

BBC Spotlight will be broadcast on BBC One Northern Ireland at 22:35 BST on Tuesday 14 October. Available on the iPlayer afterwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-29613064
Yeah yeah yeah...it was dealt with in court, would you ever just go away...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




The Velvetones

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼







All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.