Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 19-05-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Job Interview Follow Up

Today I had an interview that went really well. I don't want to jinx it, but I was very happy at the end.

I was talking to a friend afterwards who said "make sure to send them a follow up email today thanking them for the opportunity and remind them how interested you are"

I've been in my current role a long, long time and haven't interviewed in ages, but even for past interviews this wouldn't be something I would have done. Personally, I would find it a bit pushy to do so - but to be fair I think that's more my personality trait than anything.

PRoCcers what would you do? Also, PRoCcers who are specifically in HR/Recruitment, do you find it off putting when a candidate does this?

Talk to Swizzle.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:18 PM

I did that for one job that I didn't get in the end, but they remembered me and when the person who got the job went on maternity leave, they offered it to me for the duration. I'm still working for them now.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSwizzle View Post
Today I had an interview that went really well. I don't want to jinx it, but I was very happy at the end.

I was talking to a friend afterwards who said "make sure to send them a follow up email today thanking them for the opportunity and remind them how interested you are"

I've been in my current role a long, long time and haven't interviewed in ages, but even for past interviews this wouldn't be something I would have done. Personally, I would find it a bit pushy to do so - but to be fair I think that's more my personality trait than anything.

PRoCcers what would you do? Also, PRoCcers who are specifically in HR/Recruitment, do you find it off putting when a candidate does this?

Talk to Swizzle.
Im not on linkedin and my actual email address wouldnt be on the internet but the HR people do foward on polite "thank you" emails from candidates and i dont see any harm in them
Old 19-05-2017, 03:20 PM

I think this is some kind of American/Canadian bullshit that has made its way over the sea. Will probably be common place in a year or 2.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Róisín_Rua View Post
I did that for one job that I didn't get in the end, but they remembered me and when the person who got the job went on maternity leave, they offered it to me for the duration. I'm still working for them now.
See that sounds pretty encouraging, and it's making me lean in the direction of doing it.

I had a look online and some people are of the opinion that it makes a candidate seem genuine and enthusiastic and that they'll stand out in a good way. Obviously there are also differing opinions from that too though.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
See that sounds pretty encouraging, and it's making me lean in the direction of doing it.

I had a look online and some people are of the opinion that it makes a candidate seem genuine and enthusiastic and that they'll stand out in a good way. Obviously there are also differing opinions from that too though.
Just make it brief and positive - nothing schmaltzy.
Old 19-05-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Talk to Swizzle.
It's the done thing now. Remember, HR goblins have neither personality nor initiative. They don't care whether it's 'right' or 'wrong' or 'pushy' or anything else. They just want to see it done because it's the done thing now.
Old 19-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Good luck with it, Kayswizz. You come across as a formidable person.