tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Irish Language Movement Contributing To Youth Suicide? - Page 4 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-12-2016, 12:10 AM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarboxBob View Post
All relating to one Irish speaker, the fact that there was Irish taught in schools where kids were interfered with is incidental, the fiddlers were there because of the access to children.
I don't think the catholic church had compulsory Irish,Swim Ireland didn't have compulsory Irish, the catholic boy scouts did not have compulsory Irish, the BBC did not have compulsory Irish and I'm sure the English FA didn't either.
heh! heh! Billy Danny being skewered again with his own shewer
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Coach and Six Coach and Six is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,631
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarboxBob View Post
All relating to one Irish speaker, the fact that there was Irish taught in schools where kids were interfered with is incidental, the fiddlers were there because of the access to children.
I don't think the catholic church had compulsory Irish,Swim Ireland didn't have compulsory Irish, the catholic boy scouts did not have compulsory Irish, the BBC did not have compulsory Irish and I'm sure the English FA didn't either.
Top top post. Billy is getting mowed down like a lackie at the Somme here. He's not being hit by gunfire though he's just tripping over barbed wire and falling over into a hole and breaking his neck.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 22-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Bill O'Reilly Bill O'Reilly is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 436
Default

I posted these links in response to TarboxBob's direct question 'What has compulsory Irish got to do with kiddy fiddlers.'

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29195838.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/domhnall-o-...01992-Jun2014/

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...hile-1.1366114

The point is not that he was 'one Irish speaker' as you put it. The point is that he founded one of the country's largest Irish colleges, Colaiste na bhFiann in Ros Muc in Connemara in 1968.

As one of the most senior members of the Irish language movement and an advocate of compulsory Irish, he developed and actively promoted the concept of segregated single sex Irish language summer schools, which are still in existence today.

Your claim that 'the fact there was Irish taught in schools where kids were interfered with is incidental' is a false argument.

In this particular case, the abuser set up and ran the school where the offences took place. He did this under the banner of compulsory Irish in the education system.

Contrary to your false claim, the Catholic church did have compulsory Irish in their schools. This was a policy they actively supported in recent decades.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:41 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Reilly View Post
I have heard this argument made twice in the past month. Is this anti-working class, pro-segregation pro-discrimination movement contributing to rises in youth suicide in this country?

Are they damaging natural geographic communities and segregating young people living in the same neighbourhoods based on their ability to speak a non-functional dead language? Is this movement causing social isolation among young people living in certain areas of the country?
yerra liam
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-09-2017, 05:29 PM
an liathroid beag an liathroid beag is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,079
Default

Massive new Gaelscoil opened in Midleton--even the Poles are keen to enlist their kids--know the advantage of an early bilingual start
__________________
A woman drove me to drink!-and I forgot to thank her!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Roundyfield Roundyfield is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
I disagree. Myself and several cousins went trough the mon from the 1980s to thr early 90s. The AG had a very high proportion of cunts. I never saw an AG boy bullied except by his own kind.
The AG boys regularliy bullied younger boys including myself.

Id say they were that way from their overbearing oul lades insecurities.

I never once used those toilets. On a hot day you could smell them all over the school.

I knew a few ok AG bots outside of school but a lot of them got an awlful land when they arrived out in the real world at the 18 to find that they were not "gods soecial boys" and just plain norries like the rest of us.
You seem very bitter. I was at the mon, academic side for on year in 1989 and the acedmic side was like battle for the planet of the apes and you hardly heard a peep from the AG side. I got in a brutal fight with a lad outsude those toilets because I didn't go to the Mon primary school.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM
TopicGrinder TopicGrinder is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 19,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundyfield View Post
You seem very bitter.
He is very bitter and he has erection problems to confound his bitterness as well

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Bill O'Reilly Bill O'Reilly is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 436
Default

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...ions-1.3728067

Parents pressure psychologists to grant Irish exemptions

Official report finds dislike of Irish linked to bedwetting and refusal to go to school

Psychologists say they feel under pressure from parents and schools to give exemptions for the study of Irish to students who do not qualify for the opt-out, according to an official review.

Irish is compulsory at primary and second level of the education system, however, there are opt-outs available for pupils with special needs or who have been abroad for a period of time.

Those who secure exemptions on special education or disability grounds are required to have a psychologist’s report.

A Department of Education review of Irish exemptions has found that some psychologists indicated “they were coming under pressure from schools and parents to carry out assessments in support of exemptions despite this being inconsistent with best practice guidelines”.

It also found psychologists reported a widespread belief among parents that exemptions confer an advantage on students.

“It is apparent that entitlement feeds demand and because psychological assessment is the key to accessing exemptions, demand for such assessments appears to be growing,” it adds.

The findings are contained in the Review of Policy and Practice in relation to Exemptions from the study of Irish, which has been published by the department. It found a wide variety of practices among schools, who have the authority to grant Irish exemptions under department rules.

Anxiety

As reported in The Irish Times last week, it says there has been an increase in the number of pupils securing opt-outs on the basis of “stress or anxiety” linked to study of the language.

In these cases, anxiety stemmed from pupils’ strong dislike for the language, difficulties in completing homework, and was linked to bedwetting, unwillingness to go to school and refusal to learn Irish.

“In some of these instances, factors relating to parents may have been a contributory factor to the pupil’s negative attitude towards Irish,” the report adds.

The review also notes that thousands of students with exemptions go on to study a modern foreign language such as French or German for State examinations.

Many are also securing exemptions in the run-up to State exams such as the Junior and Leaving Cert.

Minister for Education Joe McHugh has launched a public consultation seeking the views on the 25-year-old system for granting exemptions.

“Our understanding of children’s learning, and especially children’s special educational needs, and the advantages of bilingualism have developed deeply in this time,” he said.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-12-2018, 07:38 PM
The Highway Man The Highway Man is offline
PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O'Reilly View Post
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/educ...ions-1.3728067

Parents pressure psychologists to grant Irish exemptions

Official report finds dislike of Irish linked to bedwetting and refusal to go to school

Psychologists say they feel under pressure from parents and schools to give exemptions for the study of Irish to students who do not qualify for the opt-out, according to an official review.

Irish is compulsory at primary and second level of the education system, however, there are opt-outs available for pupils with special needs or who have been abroad for a period of time.

Those who secure exemptions on special education or disability grounds are required to have a psychologist’s report.

A Department of Education review of Irish exemptions has found that some psychologists indicated “they were coming under pressure from schools and parents to carry out assessments in support of exemptions despite this being inconsistent with best practice guidelines”.

It also found psychologists reported a widespread belief among parents that exemptions confer an advantage on students.

“It is apparent that entitlement feeds demand and because psychological assessment is the key to accessing exemptions, demand for such assessments appears to be growing,” it adds.

The findings are contained in the Review of Policy and Practice in relation to Exemptions from the study of Irish, which has been published by the department. It found a wide variety of practices among schools, who have the authority to grant Irish exemptions under department rules.

Anxiety

As reported in The Irish Times last week, it says there has been an increase in the number of pupils securing opt-outs on the basis of “stress or anxiety” linked to study of the language.

In these cases, anxiety stemmed from pupils’ strong dislike for the language, difficulties in completing homework, and was linked to bedwetting, unwillingness to go to school and refusal to learn Irish.

“In some of these instances, factors relating to parents may have been a contributory factor to the pupil’s negative attitude towards Irish,” the report adds.

The review also notes that thousands of students with exemptions go on to study a modern foreign language such as French or German for State examinations.

Many are also securing exemptions in the run-up to State exams such as the Junior and Leaving Cert.

Minister for Education Joe McHugh has launched a public consultation seeking the views on the 25-year-old system for granting exemptions.

“Our understanding of children’s learning, and especially children’s special educational needs, and the advantages of bilingualism have developed deeply in this time,” he said.
"Official report finds dislike of Irish linked to bedwetting and refusal to go to school" For the love of fuck How do these cunts get paid to publish this muck.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 16-12-2018, 08:51 PM
polladdy polladdy is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 358
Default

just picked up on Tictacs point and obviously he has a severe chip on the shoulder.
However i cant offer a cure. I can only confirm his worst fears.
AG boys were superior to normal mon boys. We actually called them," lads from the taobh gallda" or foreign side of the mon. "gowls" for short.
Yes our parents had notions about us. WIth good reason. We were shit hot.And when we reached 18 we discovered and went onto third level we were as good as the others. Not only did we had grants and the money our parents never spent on fees was well saved. Happy days.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Crab Seal Teeth

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:30pm

More events ▼







All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.