tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Leo - Wrong man for the times? - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 PM

Default Leo - Wrong man for the times?

So it looks like the shit's going to hit the fan with Brexit. I hope I'm wrong, but any other outcome looks unlikely. And a hard Brexit will affect us as much as Britain. Germany and France ... not so much.

I've been very unimpressed with Leo during the negotiations. He was more interested in laying down red lines than with trying to reach an agreement. And his waving the backstop in the face of the Unionists turned out to be a monumental fuck up.

I can't help but wonder; what if we had Bertie back? Or Micheal instead of Leo? Basically a 'cute hoor' in office. Leo might be a lot of things but he just doesn't have the cute hoor, back-stabbing, slithering, manuovreability required here. If Bertie or Micheal was in power here, I have a feeling that May would have returned from Brussels with a firm committment (or words to that effect) that the EU would enter into trade negotiations with the UK by X, with a view to concluding them by Y. It'd be a complete fudge of course. And Bertie and his European mates would probably have a good laugh at Teresa the minute she exited the building. But it might have been enough for her to get the back bench Tories back in line.

And it wouldn't have taken much from Bertie to get the EU to make a meaningless 'not worth the paper it's written on' statement. Just ask the Ulster Unionists. Remember when the pair of 'cute hoors' that were Blair and Bertie got them to sign the Good Friday Agreement based on a letter of comfort on decomissioning - a letter that meant nothing to SF, if they even knew about it!!!! It was some achievement, the 'Good Friday Agreement' where two different parties signed two different Agreements. But it worked. Momentum was maintained and the Peace Process avoided an impass that could have derailed it.

My point is that a 'cute boy' was required here. And we may have been unfortunate that that cute boy was sitting in pposition and answers to the name 'Micheal.' I'm not saying that Martin will/would handle the fallout any better than Leo. One of 'em, two of 'em on that score. But he may have avoided the problem in the first place.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:51 AM

More suited to The Comedy Forum to be honest.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Lieo's just wrong.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Róisín_Rua View Post
Lieo's just wrong.

That's actually a brilliant summary of the prick. He just seems like an alien.

One thing he does do is remind us what a decent and astute man his predecessor was. I met Enda a few times and he was the most charming and sharp politician I've ever spoken to, even more than our own Michael Martin.

Leopatra is a prick. If it has to be FG in control I'd like to see SiCo at the helm.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Holder View Post
So it looks like the shit's going to hit the fan with Brexit. I hope I'm wrong, but any other outcome looks unlikely. And a hard Brexit will affect us as much as Britain. Germany and France ... not so much.

I've been very unimpressed with Leo during the negotiations. He was more interested in laying down red lines than with trying to reach an agreement. And his waving the backstop in the face of the Unionists turned out to be a monumental fuck up.
Eh we have an agreement and it is backed by the EU and again today they have said so. I don't like Leo but he stuck to his guns and got the EU behind us. Would you rather he pander to the whims of the DUP like May? We didn't create this situation and there really is only two options a hard brexit or the deal, neither of which we can affect now.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
Eh we have an agreement and it is backed by the EU and again today they have said so. I don't like Leo but he stuck to his guns and got the EU behind us. Would you rather he pander to the whims of the DUP like May? We didn't create this situation and there really is only two options a hard brexit or the deal, neither of which we can affect now.
There is/was a third option. Gaurantees/Statements of intent, to put an EU-UK Free Trade Agreement in place before the backstop kicks in. I feel Leo could have twisted the EU's arm on this. It wouldn't have taken much twisting. But he was more interested in hollow victories.

I think such an agreement is ineveitable in the long run anyway as both sides want it. It really wouldn't have cost the EU that much to say 'We want it inplace by X.' That'd put the pressure right back on the DUP to wind their neck in and get over it for teh sake of all their fellow British peopleeven f they couldn'y gve a fuck about the Irish.There's still come chance that the Irish civil servants are working on that angle, while leaving Leo to his posturing.
Old 14-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Leo is getting found out.
Old 14-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

A sausage supper would be more effective.
Old 16-01-2019, 02:33 PM

It was interesting that Coveney got more grassroot support from FG members in the leadership election. Of course, Leo got the backing of the TDs and senators, which saw him get the gig.

If the FG grassroot members preferred Coveney to Varadkar, he may not be able to keep his job after the next election.
Old 18-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulgorm View Post
It was interesting that Coveney got more grassroot support from FG members in the leadership election. Of course, Leo got the backing of the TDs and senators, which saw him get the gig.

If the FG grassroot members preferred Coveney to Varadkar, he may not be able to keep his job after the next election.
Lot of that at the time was Simon visiting the core FG vote in rural constituencies and telling the core vote (older voters, farmers, small business owners) what they wanted to hear in relation to abortion.

Simon's sudden conversion to pro choice did not go down well with the core blue shirt vote.