tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Compulsory Irish in Schools = A Mistake - Page 19 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-08-2019, 04:07 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Poogan View Post
Good point. If you look at some of the catholic boys and girls schools in the working areas of cork they are some of the most inclusive that you can see.
Yeah, "some". The main plus of ET schools is that they are taking religious control out of a student's education.

There are no fees so being wealthy is not a direct factor in getting a place in an ET school.
Old 23-08-2019, 04:12 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDavid View Post
It's a dead language. End of.
Make it optional and those with an interest can study it.
You are just repeating yourself to no effect. Be assured that it will remain one of the compulsory subjects taught at primary and secondary for decades to come.

Quote:
You have not put forward one argument that makes a case for the compulsory teaching of Irish. Not one.
I appreciate you're not one for detail and you're a throw the baby out with the bathwater type, but there are plenty of reasons discussed in this thread. The main one being it's part of our heritage & culture, and polls show continually the public want to keep it (with the caveat that people want to change how it is taught and what elements of it should be compulsory). Without compulsion it would be worse off than it is. Ergo, it should be compulsory.

Very few, if any, Irish language groups or advocates are in denial about the state of the language, but when you consider all the CSO stats they show a large number of people can speak it and do speak it regularly.
Old 23-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach and Six View Post
You are just repeating yourself to no effect. Be assured that it will remain one of the compulsory subjects taught at primary and secondary for decades to come.

I appreciate you're not one for detail and you're a throw the baby out with the bathwater type, but there are plenty of reasons discussed in this thread. The main one being it's part of our heritage & culture, and polls show continually the public want to keep it (with the caveat that people want to change how it is taught and what elements of it should be compulsory). Without compulsion it would be worse off than it is. Ergo, it should be compulsory.

Very few, if any, Irish language groups or advocates are in denial about the state of the language, but when you consider all the CSO stats they show a large number of people can speak it and do speak it regularly.
Excellent assessment of Langer Dan
Old 23-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Without compulsion it would be worse off than it is. Ergo, it should be compulsory.

Continue the same failed policy, with a tweak or two.

Speak what exactly?
Hold a conversation, rattle off a poem or just a few half remembered random words? Ticking a box on the Census shows fuck all in terms of proficiency.
Old 24-08-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Without compulsion it would be worse off than it is. Ergo, it should be compulsory.
I don't think that's necessarily true or a good reason to keep it compulsory, at least not all the way to Leaving Cert. The longer I was doing Irish the less I liked it -- if I had given up after primary school, I would have more of a fond memory of it and be better disposed toward it.

As it was, the school system turned me off it completely, so that I would tune out or switch off as soon as I heard it. Building up that level of resentment and wilful disregard in the vast majority of the population does the language no service at all.

For Leaving Cert it should not be compulsory and in secondary school there should be an 'Irish as a foreign language' type option where they start teaching it again from scratch, and more from a practical perspective, like ordering a sandwich rather than debating immigration. This would give a chance to kids who moved back home from abroad, and those who arrive in secondary school with poor Irish.
Old 24-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppellanger View Post
I don't think that's necessarily true or a good reason to keep it compulsory, at least not all the way to Leaving Cert. The longer I was doing Irish the less I liked it -- if I had given up after primary school, I would have more of a fond memory of it and be better disposed toward it.

As it was, the school system turned me off it completely, so that I would tune out or switch off as soon as I heard it. Building up that level of resentment and wilful disregard in the vast majority of the population does the language no service at all.

For Leaving Cert it should not be compulsory and in secondary school there should be an 'Irish as a foreign language' type option where they start teaching it again from scratch, and more from a practical perspective, like ordering a sandwich rather than debating immigration. This would give a chance to kids who moved back home from abroad, and those who arrive in secondary school with poor Irish.
They should have English lessons as well for ordering sandwiches.

It’s not “can I get..” it’s “can I have.”
Old 24-08-2019, 11:39 AM
PROC Member

Quote:

Its part of our culture & heritage?

Lol, youre some fucking spoofer.
That is not an argument for wasting time and resources so that successive generations are forced to learn a language they dont want to.

If you gaelgoir fuckheads had a quarter of the confidence in its value that you say you do then you wouldnt be so utterly terrified at giving people the option of studying it.

You say that teaching a system that doesnt work to a population that never use it again is some kind of accomplishment?

People with your head in the sand attitude are walking endorsements for making it optional
Old 24-08-2019, 11:44 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Its part of our culture & heritage?

Lol, youre some fucking spoofer.
That is not an argument for wasting time and resources so that successive generations are forced to learn a language they dont want to.

If you gaelgoir fuckheads had a quarter of the confidence in its value then you say you do then you wouldnt be so utterly terrified at giving people the option of studying it.
Indeed...people blow on here about "rattlement" but ive never seen the rattlement such as from "an taliban" at the suggestion that irish citizen kids be given choice and an option.
Old 24-08-2019, 03:19 PM

The Irish language should be an optional subject for the Leaving Cert. That is just common sense! Those who are anti-choice on this issue and believe that it should remain compulsory are those who have a financial relationship with the current compulsory status of the language in second level education.

These anti-choice people are completely self-serving and dishonest in their arguments.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Poogan View Post
Indeed...people blow on here about "rattlement" but ive never seen the rattlement such as from "an taliban" at the suggestion that irish citizen kids be given choice and an option.
Force kiddiewinks to learn it because most adults couldn't be arsed.