tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Kicking off in Togher - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Spodo Komodo View Post
It's Togher, basically a northside enclave on The Southside.
So is Ballyphenane to be honest. It's just been there longer.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Senior PROC Member

The article:

MORE than 5,000 people in Cork may be set to lose a credit union funeral grant which could leave many families without the funds to bury their loved ones.

Councillor Thomas Gould (SF) said he has been contacted by concerned members of Gurranabraher Credit Union regarding a letter sent to members in recent weeks.

They have been informed that new Central Bank rules stipulate that 50% of members must pay a premium to avail of the Death Grant Scheme in order for the service to be continued to be offered.

Currently, only 36% of members of approximately 15,000 are doing so at the credit union, meaning the scheme could be closed on November 30 if the figure doesn’t rise to half.

The Echo has contacted Gurranabraher Credit Union but has not received a response to requests for comment.

Previously, members who paid €20 premium would receive €4,000 towards the cost of their funeral if they died within a year.

Adjustments to the scheme saw the figure paid out reduced to €3250 and the annual premium paid by members rise to €30.

Mr Gould said many families on the northside of the city are relying on the grant should a loved one pass away and he has made contact with the credit union to ask them to extend the closing date by a further two weeks.

“Gurranabraher Credit Union has written to all the members and about 33% replied. The ending of the grant was extended for a further two weeks and they got it up to 36%,” said Mr Gould.

“Over the last week, I have been contacted by people who didn’t realise the seriousness of the situation. A lot of people who wouldn’t have life insurance would use this grant to bury themselves. I know people who would be depending on that money so their loved ones can bury them.

“I have asked the credit union to extend the date because this is a service that credit unions want to give. It’s very important. The coverage has gone down in recent years but €3,250 is a good amount to cover funeral expenses.

“It has long been one of the reasons people stay in the credit union even if they weren’t getting loans. I know people that have stayed in credit unions and haven’t moved their money to banks for this grant alone. It is incredible value.

“The credit union does fabulous work in the community, with sporting organisations and community groups. They are at the heart of everything int terms of sponsorship. I would ask them to extend the date for an additional two weeks because I think people are only understanding the severity of it now,” Mr Gould added.

The service is not offered by all credit unions.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
The article:

MORE than 5,000 people in Cork may be set to lose a credit union funeral grant which could leave many families without the funds to bury their loved ones.

Councillor Thomas Gould (SF) said he has been contacted by concerned members of Gurranabraher Credit Union regarding a letter sent to members in recent weeks.

They have been informed that new Central Bank rules stipulate that 50% of members must pay a premium to avail of the Death Grant Scheme in order for the service to be continued to be offered.

Currently, only 36% of members of approximately 15,000 are doing so at the credit union, meaning the scheme could be closed on November 30 if the figure doesn’t rise to half.

The Echo has contacted Gurranabraher Credit Union but has not received a response to requests for comment.

Previously, members who paid €20 premium would receive €4,000 towards the cost of their funeral if they died within a year.

Adjustments to the scheme saw the figure paid out reduced to €3250 and the annual premium paid by members rise to €30.

Mr Gould said many families on the northside of the city are relying on the grant should a loved one pass away and he has made contact with the credit union to ask them to extend the closing date by a further two weeks.

“Gurranabraher Credit Union has written to all the members and about 33% replied. The ending of the grant was extended for a further two weeks and they got it up to 36%,” said Mr Gould.

“Over the last week, I have been contacted by people who didn’t realise the seriousness of the situation. A lot of people who wouldn’t have life insurance would use this grant to bury themselves. I know people who would be depending on that money so their loved ones can bury them.

“I have asked the credit union to extend the date because this is a service that credit unions want to give. It’s very important. The coverage has gone down in recent years but €3,250 is a good amount to cover funeral expenses.

“It has long been one of the reasons people stay in the credit union even if they weren’t getting loans. I know people that have stayed in credit unions and haven’t moved their money to banks for this grant alone. It is incredible value.

“The credit union does fabulous work in the community, with sporting organisations and community groups. They are at the heart of everything int terms of sponsorship. I would ask them to extend the date for an additional two weeks because I think people are only understanding the severity of it now,” Mr Gould added.

The service is not offered by all credit unions.

🤔
About time they paid their premia just like normal citizens in fairness!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bushwacker View Post
🤔
About time they paid their premia just like normal citizens in fairness!
They got a 2 week extension and increase it by a couple %, Tommy wants another extension or maybe to extend if so it will be a bye election factor,
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM

Credit unions don't want your money these days with -ve interest rates
There is a cap on the amount you can have on deposit in the local one
They have a few billion which the could invest in social housing but FG won't allow it , I wonder why?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 AM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The High King View Post
So is Ballyphenane to be honest. It's just been there longer.
Not many folk of Norrie extraction in the Hane. The Marsh, general Middle Parish, lanes off Bandon road is where most of them came from.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer falls View Post
Credit unions don't want your money these days with -ve interest rates
There is a cap on the amount you can have on deposit in the local one
They have a few billion which the could invest in social housing but FG won't allow it , I wonder why?
CUs are kinda fucked.

Their car loan gig has been taken over by pcps
Old 10-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Leatherette View Post
Not many folk of Norrie extraction in the Hane. The Marsh, general Middle Parish, lanes off Bandon road is where most of them came from.
Ballincollig was settled by Norries.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Post View Post
Ballincollig was settled by Norries.
This explains a lot.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
This explains a lot.
They branched off from the true way several generations ago and are the result of isolation and inbreeding.