Spotlight on the troubles bbc - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-10-2019, 11:48 AM

Default Spotlight on the troubles bbc

Watched a few episodes it gives a good unbiased insight into what went on,
A few weeks ago it focused on how heavily infiltrated the IRA were, Tonights
episode focuses on how the mid ulster uvf were allowed operate freely and were fed info from police sources, Former hunger striker Tommy mckearney, says the "success" of billy wright and co was a big factor in republicans realising it was time to go down a different road,
Old 15-10-2019, 11:49 AM
PROC Member

Wait for the DUP condemnation........ ...not of Billy Wright's murders but of Spotlight.
Old 15-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCNA2018 View Post
Wait for the DUP condemnation........ ...not of Billy Wright's murders but of Spotlight.
I remember Box car willie mcrea standing on a platform with Billy wright
at the height of wrights activities,
Old 15-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
I remember Box car willie mcrea standing on a platform with Billy wright
at the height of wrights activities,
If you can get your hands on a book called The Committee - not sure if it's still banned or not it goes into great detail about David Trimble (him of being on stage with Nobo fame) head of the Unionist Party and King Rat (aka Billy Wright) meeting up in Drumcree and how the "Committee" on which Trimble sat were selecting targets for the LVF (BW's mob).

Anne Cadwalader's "Lethal Allies" is also a very informative read.

UUP and DUP come out with SF/IRA narrative all the time. They like to pretend they weren't involved in the violence that plagued the north but they were up to their necks in it. And were aided and abetted by british establishment in much of it.
Old 15-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
If you can get your hands on a book called The Committee - not sure if it's still banned or not it goes into great detail about David Trimble (him of being on stage with Nobo fame) head of the Unionist Party and King Rat (aka Billy Wright) meeting up in Drumcree and how the "Committee" on which Trimble sat were selecting targets for the LVF (BW's mob).

Anne Cadwalader's "Lethal Allies" is also a very informative read.

UUP and DUP come out with SF/IRA narrative all the time. They like to pretend they weren't involved in the violence that plagued the north but they were up to their necks in it. And were aided and abetted by british establishment in much of it.
No doubt helped by the british in the hope it would back the ira into a corner,
ye stop or we will continue killing catholics,
Old 15-10-2019, 12:26 PM

It's been an excellent series. Very informative and unbiased. Unfortunately only six parts. I'm sure there is plenty more we could learn from.
Joe Duffy has just co-written a book listing every single child that was killed in the Troubles and the circumstances.
Old 15-10-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Strutter View Post
It's been an excellent series. Very informative and unbiased. Unfortunately only six parts. I'm sure there is plenty more we could learn from.
Joe Duffy has just co-written a book listing every single child that was killed in the Troubles and the circumstances.
He was on late late show friday very sad stories,
Old 15-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Where could a fella catch up on this show? BBC player doesn't work for me.
I only caught 5 minutes at the end of an episode a few weeks back but the reviews have been brilliant.
Old 15-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Strutter View Post
Didn't he do something similar for the children that were killed in the 1916 Rising.

Lost Lives which gives a kind of pen-picture of each victim of the Troubles is a great reference book. It's expensive but a must for any student of the Troubles imho.
Old 15-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Where could a fella catch up on this show? BBC player doesn't work for me.
I only caught 5 minutes at the end of an episode a few weeks back but the reviews have been brilliant.
I suspect it'll be screened again soon. Certainly worth a second look.