Mick Barry on the warpath - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 26-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeartimmyboy View Post
He wasn't very vocal when the ardinree peepill in Fermoy had an issue last week. Avoided that TBF to him
Is Fermoy in CNC? Oh no that's right - it's not.

But as you are well aware, MB would support the right to proper housing of the family in question.
Old 26-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeartimmyboy View Post
Is the “Bay Area”?
He was demanding civil disobedience on the front page of the Echo when it was announced that the incinerator was given the go ahead
You seriously think the situation in Fermoy is equivalent to the incinerator?

Jesus.
Old 26-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
What's the issue here? The people that own the premises are not a charity and do it to make a profit.

It is a business, end of story.

People make the easy choice by renting, they do not own the property.

Therefore can be removed from same.

Tough luck, that's life.

Mick Barry is a moany prick who thinks money grows on trees and everything should he free.

Does he donate his TD's earnings to charity?
So you don't know the situation there? Fair enough.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Senior PROC Member

Some Mick Barry voters amongst this lot I bet.

They should be fucked out onto the streets and be actually homeless.

ELEVEN people in emergency accommodation in Cork city have rejected offers of social housing since the start of 2018.

The figures were described as ‘bizarre’ by members of Cork City Council, who say they are inundated with requests for housing supports.

It has also emerged that City Hall spent more than €2.8 million on emergency hotel and B&B accommodation to house homeless families and individuals since the beginning of 2016.

Of the 11 refusals, three were due to the lack of garden space. A further three were due to the properties being too small, while others said that they would only accept a City Council house, rather than one provided by an authorised housing scheme or approved housing body.

One property was rejected because the area was ‘too noisy’, with another rejection coming as the applicant would only accept a property on the south side of the city.

The matter was raised at City Hall last night by Fianna Fáil councillor Kenneth O’Flynn, who said the trend raised many questions.

“Eleven people in emergency accommodation — that is hostels and B&Bs — since the start of the year have rejected properties when offered to them,” he said. “This strikes me as absolutely bizarre when we have people calling us every day of the week about housing.”

City Hall’s most recent housing report states that, as of the end of May 2018, 379 ‘unique individuals’ were being supported in emergency accommodation, including hostels and B&Bs. This included 118 who were in emergency accommodation for longer than six months. Mr O’Flynn said that in the current context of housing shortages and escalating numbers reliant on emergency accommodation, the refusals make no sense.

“Perhaps there is something wrong in our system — though this is not the officials’ fault — but there is something wrong somewhere,” he said.

Meanwhile, a report from the city’s housing director Brian Geaney noted that a total of €2.8m was spent supporting 855 individuals in hotels and B&Bs from the start of 2016 until the end of April 2018.

This equates to more than €3,300 per person.

Sinn Féin councillor Mick Nugent said, “I have to wonder about the spend of nearly €3m on hotel and B&B accommodation. Could that money have been better spent in finding permanent solutions? I appreciate the work done by Cork City Council but I would like to see more ambition in the years ahead.”

Fine Gael’s John Buttimer defended the spend on emergency accommodation:

“€3m is a significant amount of money but 855 residents benefited from it, including 343 family units,” he said.

“At an average cost of €225,000 per property, if that money was spent on acquiring houses, it would have delivered just 13 houses.”
Old 26-06-2018, 10:44 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloblock View Post
So you don't know the situation there? Fair enough.
I do, of course I do.

The building needs renovation, the owners are going about that.

That tenancy board have sided with the property owners here.

Now what exactly is it I don't know

Maybe is it that I had assumed the people living in that building were higher up the social order than to be relying on someone like Mick Barry who only looks out for the bottom feeders in society.
Old 27-06-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Is Fermoy in CNC? Oh no that's right - it's not.

But as you are well aware, MB would support the right to proper housing of the family in question.
I know he would. Just saying he was fairly quiet about it. He's normally got a megaphone superglued to his gob.

Quote:
You seriously think the situation in Fermoy is equivalent to the incinerator?

Jesus.
One man's AUL Cup Final is another man's World Cup Final. I personally think it was too thorny an issue for Mick.
Old 27-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Banned

If city council were evicting tennants (is that the right word when they dont contribute?) without alternate arrangments then this would be a scandal.

A private company is doing works on the property which they own and have notified the tennants in the correct manor.

Just stating facts here.
Old 27-06-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tictac View Post
A private company is doing works on the property which they own and have notified the tennants in the correct manor.

Just stating facts here.
Which was fine when there was actually alternative places to go.
Old 27-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspud View Post
Which was fine when there was actually alternative places to go.
Accomodation is at a premium in cork but is available.

Are a lot of the complainers on the HAP scheme.

Some smaller private landlords will take HAP but the "tennants" will have to make up the shortfall in the rent if the montjly rental cost exceeds the HAP amount.
Old 27-06-2018, 08:12 AM

I live in his CNC about a mile away from his office and I can say I have never been canvassed by him or his supporters. Lucky me.