tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Dr. Tony Holohan appreciation thread - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-07-2020, 09:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

Default The Dr. Tony Holohan appreciation thread

Lads as you will already know, I've no interest in arguing about things like "facts" or supplying things like "links", so try and keep that stuff out of this thread.

With the news tonight that Dr. Tony Holohan is to be granted the Freedom of Dublin City, can we take a second to applaud this man who most of us had never heard of before this crisis kicked off.

Speaking for myself, I found him to be a comforting and calming figure on the darkest of the lockdown days, and a guy who I would trust.

In the last week he has opened up about his wife's health struggles, which makes what he has done on a public level all the more mind blowing.

In my opinion, Dr. Tony Holohan should be remembered in the history books as one of Ireland's greatest ever servants, and I was delighted to see the news from Dublin City Council today. Maybe we could offer him the same accolade in Cork?

And just to be clear, this isn't a satirical thread. This man is a hero.

Quote:
Dr Tony Holohan to be granted Freedom of the City of Dublin
Dr Holohan stepped aside as the state's Chief Medical Officer last week to spend more time with his family as his wife receives palliative care. Picture: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

By Greg Murphy
Follow @thegregmurphy
Monday, July 06, 2020 - 07:00 PM
The Department of Health's Dr Tony Holohan is to be granted the Freedom of the City of Dublin.

He was proposed for the honour at a meeting of Dublin City Council tonight.

Learn more
Councillors believe he should be given the position due to his role in the Covid-19 pandemic.

Dr Holohan stepped aside as the state's Chief Medical Officer last week to spend more time with his family as his wife receives palliative care.

The motion was unanimously backed by councillors after Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu proposed him for the award at tonight's city council meeting.

Ms Chu said, “I am honoured to propose Dr Tony Holohan, as the leader of the Covid response team, for Dublin City’s highest award, the Honorary Freedom of the City of Dublin.

"The position he holds represents all front line workers and all the work they do.

"He has been a constant presence in our lives during Covid-19 and his calm manner in imparting advice gave reassurance to us all.”

Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu at The O'Connell Plinth outside Dublin’s City Hall. Picture: Leah Farrell / RollingNews.ie
Dr Holohan will join an illustrious list of Freemen and Freewomen including former US presidents John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa and former Dublin Football Manager Jim Gavin.

Amongst the ancient privileges afforded to a Freeman or Freewoman is the right to bring goods into Dublin through the city gates, without paying customs duties; the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries; and the right to vote in municipal and parliamentary elections.

The honour will be conferred on Dr Holohan at a future date.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 PM
PROC Member

Nobody likes a crawler.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantOfEnnis View Post
Lads as you will already know, I've no interest in arguing about things like "facts" or supplying things like "links", so try and keep that stuff out of this thread.

With the news tonight that Dr. Tony Holohan is to be granted the Freedom of Dublin City, can we take a second to applaud this man who most of us had never heard of before this crisis kicked off.

Speaking for myself, I found him to be a comforting and calming figure on the darkest of the lockdown days, and a guy who I would trust.

In the last week he has opened up about his wife's health struggles, which makes what he has done on a public level all the more mind blowing.

In my opinion, Dr. Tony Holohan should be remembered in the history books as one of Ireland's greatest ever servants, and I was delighted to see the news from Dublin City Council today. Maybe we could offer him the same accolade in Cork?

And just to be clear, this isn't a satirical thread. This man is a hero.

Ennisy ..3 things....

I respect your respect for him

I respect that on a personal level the guy has a family member with cancer..heart goes out to him.

but on a professional level...I think the nursing homes will always hang over him and also he did try and cover up a report into the cervical cancer screening appalling episode to which the state had to issue an apology only last year.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askyerman View Post
Nobody likes a crawler.

A crawler?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Senior PROC Member

Freedom of City, my arse for doing his job? As Roy says it's like praising the postman for delivering the letters
Old 06-07-2020, 10:01 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantOfEnnis View Post
A crawler?
Yes a crawler.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutdoorThreadmill View Post
Freedom of City, my arse for doing his job? As Roy says it's like praising the postman for delivering the letters
My god, agreement🤔
Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixthsense View Post
My god, agreement🤔
I'll seconded it..all in agreement in the same day..its a miracle
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixthsense View Post
My god, agreement🤔
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsrebel View Post
I'll seconded it..all in agreement in the same day..its a miracle

Old 06-07-2020, 10:33 PM

I never guessed you liked fishing Ennisy..........

You may need a bigger boat though.