tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
House Pre-Purchase Engineering Survey Question! - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 27-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNO View Post
Considering what's at stake I wouldn't be going for the cheaper option when it comes to a house survey, I would expect to pay between €400-€450 for a report.
Spot on, you're going to spend the rest of your life, or at least a large chunk of it living on this house and paying for it. The cost of the survey is probably 0.01% of what you're paying for the house, get the right guy not the cheapest guy

Btw, I'd use an architect
Old 27-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post
Spot on, you're going to spend the rest of your life, or at least a large chunk of it living on this house and paying for it. The cost of the survey is probably 0.01% of what you're paying for the house, get the right guy not the cheapest guy.

I once walked away from a house purchase after an engineers report, I actually shudder now at the thought that I could have seriously considered buying that particular house, it had rising damp, a dodgy roof structure, asbestos roofing in the shed and more besides, yet on the surface of it what you saw was a nice bungalow with a lovely private back garden, it was the best €450 I ever spent. I'd say if it ever did sell it was probably a case of knocking the house and starting afresh.
Old 27-09-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNO View Post
I once walked away from a house purchase after an engineers report, I actually shudder now at the thought that I could have seriously considered buying that particular house, it had rising damp, a dodgy roof structure, asbestos roofing in the shed and more besides, yet on the surface of it what you saw was a nice bungalow with a lovely private back garden, it was the best €450 I ever spent. I'd say if it ever did sell it was probably a case of knocking the house and starting afresh.
Did you ever follow up on how the house actually did? Did it sell for the asking price?
Old 27-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhonkaman View Post

Don't use an architect, they mostly do design work. You need a structural engineer who can can test the foundations, dpm, dpc, leaks, insulation, roof etc etc etc. Ya need an engineers head for that.

Btw it doesnt matter how old the house is, get the survey done. Building controls only came in recently. There is alot of badly constructed houses in Ireland.
Old 27-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick fingers View Post
Don't use an architect, they mostly do design work. You need a structural engineer who can can test the foundations, dpm, dpc, leaks, insulation, roof etc etc etc. Ya need an engineers head for that.

Btw it doesnt matter how old the house is, get the survey done. Building controls only came in recently. There is alot of badly constructed houses in Ireland.
An engineer does not test the foundations etc as any inspection is visual only.

Architects are more familiar with the building regs and both legal and compliance issues etc
Old 27-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Do they actually ever come back to a buyer without finding a problem?

Some of these lads are pure bluffers if you ask me.
Old 27-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontipine View Post
Did you ever follow up on how the house actually did? Did it sell for the asking price?
I just had a look on daft.ie now, it did sell for what seems to me a realistic price, well below the original asking price so hopefully whoever bought it had the funds left over after the purchase to do the necessary work to make a good home of it.
Old 27-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Do they actually ever come back to a buyer without finding a problem?

Some of these lads are pure bluffers if you ask me.
Even new houses can have problems.

It is the biggest financial purchase you would ever make so an experienced qualified opinion is essential.
Old 27-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Even new houses can have problems.

It is the biggest financial purchase you would ever make so an experienced qualified opinion is essential.
I understand that but my point still stands about them finding little problems that scare off potential buyers of property. They are paid to inspect a building and they almost always will find a problem and some of them are well able to go overboard of a minor hitch.

@JDNO. When you moved on from the property you nearly bought i presume you bought another. When you got the engineer report, how was it looking before you went ahead with the purchase?
Old 27-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I understand that but my point still stands about them finding little problems that scare off potential buyers of property. They are paid to inspect a building and they almost always will find a problem and some of them are well able to go overboard of a minor hitch.

@JDNO. When you moved on from the property you nearly bought i presume you bought another. When you got the engineer report, how was it looking before you went ahead with the purchase?
If there is a problem no matter how "minor" a surveyor has a duty of care to the potential purchaser to point this out.

The days of nod and a wink are over with new regulations etc