tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Spotlight on the troubles bbc - Page 4 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-10-2019, 10:34 AM

Rumours also that Brian Nelson is still alive.
Old 18-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_Mike View Post
Rumours also that Brian Nelson is still alive.
Wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility and his removal from public eye by dying certainly tied up some loose ends for the british securicrats but to be honest, I doubt very much that he's still alive. An "accident" could very easily have been arranged by MI5/6 to ensure his secrets died with him not leaving such an embarassing source still alive and kicking.
Old 18-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
Wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility and his removal from public eye by dying certainly tied up some loose ends for the british securicrats but to be honest, I doubt very much that he's still alive. An "accident" could very easily have been arranged by MI5/6 to ensure his secrets died with him not leaving such an embarassing source still alive and kicking.
“A source in Cardiff said there was one unusual element to the death - although he is recorded to have died by natural causes, his death was allegedly reported to the coroner by police. However, South Wales Police have been unable to establish this.”

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/i...-28177281.html
Old 18-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Senior PROC Member

No surprise he was being treated for lung cancer, from memory the guy was a chain smoker.
Old 18-10-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
Many people see the terrible events of march 1988 as a major turning
point, the gibraltar killings, the michael stone attack, the killing of the two soldiers at the funeral left us in a situation where civil war was seen as a possibility, I remember in the days after the gibraltar killings there was a discussion on today tonight where if i am right nora owen was aghast at the
idea of the bodies coming through Dublin, Neil Blaney put her firmly back in her
place,
Yes that was a terrible time, I remember it well it was shocking.
I read somewhere that it was Charles Haughey who didn't want the remains flown to Dublin as it would bring unnecessary attention to the Republic.
Speaking of Michael Stone, I saw recently it is possible that he is due for parole/release soon. He's some nutjob. He wasn't even born in Ireland.
Old 18-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmym View Post
The british said John Downey was not wanted for any offence, but he was still
extradited last week, At a sensitive time this has certainly raised tensions,
Maybe they are trying to make an example of him? Maybe as a mirror to the Soldier F thing. I've listened to some Tans saying how they stand behind Soldier F etc and historic crimes but, if they heard the circumstances of what he did !!
Even his colleagues said he was out of control.
And if they think it is too long ago.....On RTE Radio news just reported that the last soldier is to be tried for his Nazi crimes!!!
Old 24-10-2019, 06:59 AM

Bonus episode on tonight. Based on behind the scenes footage of how the series was made.
It's been a brilliant series. Terribly difficult to watch at times and should be compulsory viewing for anyone who didn't live through it yet lives on these islands.
As the time has passed you'd almost forget how bad things were up there. There's an uneasy and fragile peace up there for now but we can never allow it to return to those days.
Truth and reconciliation process should have been implemented long ago but I fear it will never happen due to the collusion aspects. The Brits will never hold their hands up. And until there is a truth and reconciliation process there will always be that undercurrent and uneasy peace.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingin View Post
Bonus episode on tonight. Based on behind the scenes footage of how the series was made.
It's been a brilliant series. Terribly difficult to watch at times and should be compulsory viewing for anyone who didn't live through it yet lives on these islands.
As the time has passed you'd almost forget how bad things were up there. There's an uneasy and fragile peace up there for now but we can never allow it to return to those days.
Truth and reconciliation process should have been implemented long ago but I fear it will never happen due to the collusion aspects. The Brits will never hold their hands up. And until there is a truth and reconciliation process there will always be that undercurrent and uneasy peace.
All nordies are as bad as each other..both sides. A horrible broken society.

Truly excellent series.

I lol'd at the episode the other night when the IRA had a meeting in Donegal and booked in as a community group.

The internsl fighting amongst the IRA army council led by Gerry Adams and Mortin was fascinating.

Most shocking part was footage of the english police dragging a wounded and still alive IRA bomber out of a building by his legs and his head bashing on the steps on the way out.

Great footage of the IRA demonstrating a Barrack Buster Mortar in South Armagh. I had seen stills of this before but never the video.

An excellent series.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Poogan View Post
All nordies are as bad as each other..both sides. A horrible broken society.

Truly excellent series.

I lol'd at the episode the other night when the IRA had a meeting in Donegal and booked in as a community group.

The internsl fighting amongst the IRA army council led by Gerry Adams and Mortin was fascinating.

Most shocking part was footage of the english police dragging a wounded and still alive IRA bomber out of a building by his legs and his head bashing on the steps on the way out.

Great footage of the IRA demonstrating a Barrack Buster Mortar in South Armagh. I had seen stills of this before but never the video.

An excellent series.
Do you believe all Dubs are as bad as each other? Are all English people as bad as each other? Are all Americans "as bad as each other"?

This "all as bad as each other" nonsense is nothing but that, nonsense.

It was a great series but I'd hoped for more in depth stuff to be honest. We'd known about the vast vast majority of it already. Interesting that McIntyre said MI5 still had copies of all the documents, including the stuff RUC Special Branch thought they'd managed to destroy.
Of course that will be sealed for many more decades, if indeed it ever sees the light of day.
Old 24-10-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post

It was a great series but I'd hoped for more in depth stuff to be honest. We'd known about the vast vast majority of it already.
This was a show aimed at an audience who hadn't lived through the troubles and those that were too young to know exactly what was going on.
It wasn't a show aimed at RA nerds who've read every book there is to read on the troubles.
I thought the content was fantastic, it was really well put together and should be compulsory viewing for all school kids North and South of the border for fear any get the mad notion to return to those dark days under the pretence of a United Ireland or to secure the Union status.
How little value they placed on life at the time was deeply unsettling and this show was a stark reminder of the truly dark days.