Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
We flew Vientiane to Hanoi Allergic, with Vietnam Airlines, cost around 100 dolllars. I'm sure you can go the opposite way as well. And you can fly from Hanoi to Louang Prabang as well with them I think. Louang Prabang to Vang Vieng was around 7 or 8 hours on the bus I think, with a stop half way for lunch. Absolutely amazing trip though, the scenery is fantastic! The road is dreadful though, but thats half the fun I suppose!! Don't get too drunk the night before!

yeah, i got drunk the night before. very very hard going, wouldn't recommend it.

Try president airlines too. Though i took that from Bkk to Phnom penh and not sure of the extent of their routes.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
yeah, i got drunk the night before. very very hard going, wouldn't recommend it.

Try president airlines too. Though i took that from Bkk to Phnom penh and not sure of the extent of their routes.
It was only Laos and Vietnam airlines that did the vientiane-hanoi route last year anyway.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
We flew Vientiane to Hanoi Allergic, with Vietnam Airlines, cost around 100 dolllars. I'm sure you can go the opposite way as well. And you can fly from Hanoi to Louang Prabang as well with them I think. Louang Prabang to Vang Vieng was around 7 or 8 hours on the bus I think, with a stop half way for lunch. Absolutely amazing trip though, the scenery is fantastic! The road is dreadful though, but thats half the fun I suppose!! Don't get too drunk the night before!
Coola, Ive been looking at them. The route I want is a pain in the ass coz I wanna go Hanoi to Lung Nam tha and get over to Bokeo for that Gibbon thing, then Laung Prabang, then Vien vang and get back to ho chi, then to get home. If I schedule enough time, I could get the bus alright but I'm woried about having to depend on transport over there when its all fairly chillaxed. I'll try though, coz everyone rates the scenery. Then the nearest airport to Vien Vang would be what Vientiane?

President Airlines wouldnt work yesterday for me for sum reason Superdave but cheers, and I'm a chick by the way

Did ye do the tunnels in Ho chi, trying to figure out how much time I need there?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Louang Prabang to Vang Vieng was around 7 or 8 hours on the bus I think, with a stop half way for lunch. Absolutely amazing trip though, the scenery is fantastic!
Best bus ride I've ever been on - never seen scenery like it. I'd definitely bus this one.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic! View Post
Coola, Ive been looking at them. The route I want is a pain in the ass coz I wanna go Hanoi to Lung Nam tha and get over to Bokeo for that Gibbon thing, then Laung Prabang, then Vien vang and get back to ho chi, then to get home. If I schedule enough time, I could get the bus alright but I'm woried about having to depend on transport over there when its all fairly chillaxed. I'll try though, coz everyone rates the scenery. Then the nearest airport to Vien Vang would be what Vientiane?

President Airlines wouldnt work yesterday for me for sum reason Superdave but cheers, and I'm a chick by the way

Did ye do the tunnels in Ho chi, trying to figure out how much time I need there?
sorry bout that! i'd say 3 weeks will really be pushing you there to be honest kiddo. i'd cut one or two things and from my own experiences i'd cut ho chi before Hanoi and defo don't leave out VV or Luang Prabang. BUt then i haven't done the gibbon thing which sounds v v cool. VV would be best accessed though LP airport i'd say. it's about a 8 or 9 hour bus ride from Vientiane or LP as i recall.

Chu Chi tunnels are cool. 3 or 4 hour half day trip will see ya right. Loads of companies run the trip - cheap as chips as i recall (5Eur Tops) and v interesting. Have a look at the traps used and they have some animals/snakes on show too that the soldiers had to contend with - frightening size of a boa constrictor there. and the traps are gruesome.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
sorry bout that! i'd say 3 weeks will really be pushing you there to be honest kiddo. i'd cut one or two things and from my own experiences i'd cut ho chi before Hanoi and defo don't leave out VV or Luang Prabang. BUt then i haven't done the gibbon thing which sounds v v cool. VV would be best accessed though LP airport i'd say. it's about a 8 or 9 hour bus ride from Vientiane or LP as i recall.

Chu Chi tunnels are cool. 3 or 4 hour half day trip will see ya right. Loads of companies run the trip - cheap as chips as i recall (5Eur Tops) and v interesting. Have a look at the traps used and they have some animals/snakes on show too that the soldiers had to contend with - frightening size of a boa constrictor there. and the traps are gruesome.
Yeah, the tunnels are amazing. I had go of an Ak-47 there as well which was cool. The Mekong Delta is beautiful as well and well worth a day trip.

I'd say Vientiane is the closest airport to Vang Vieng alright Allergic, but the flights aren't til the evening so you can easily bus it in early from Vang Vieng and be there in plenty of time for the flight to Hanoi.

Definitely spend at least 4 or 5 days in Louang Prabang, its absolutely amazing, and definitely one of my highlights of SEA.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:51 AM

nice wan, lads
Old 06-07-2007, 08:34 PM

Southern Laos is also very beautiful, Todlo falls is a paradise on Earth. I don't usually like going back to countries that I have been to before but Laos is def a place that I'm going to visit again, an amazing country and the beer is great as well.

One thing to remember is that there isn't any International ATM in the country, I made that mistake and didn't have any cash or travellers cheques on me and the banks were closed for the weekend to take money out with my credit card. A monk gave me $30 to get from the Thailand/Laos boarder in the north to get to Luang Prabang, that's a serious amount of cash to a local.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Southern Laos is also very beautiful, Todlo falls is a paradise on Earth. I don't usually like going back to countries that I have been to before but Laos is def a place that I'm going to visit again, an amazing country and the beer is great as well.

One thing to remember is that there isn't any International ATM in the country, I made that mistake and didn't have any cash or travellers cheques on me and the banks were closed for the weekend to take money out with my credit card. A monk gave me $30 to get from the Thailand/Laos boarder in the north to get to Luang Prabang, that's a serious amount of cash to a local.
There's actually one in Vientiane I think, but yeah, there's absolutely none in the rest of the country.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
There's actually one in Vientiane I think, but yeah, there's absolutely none in the rest of the country.
The one in Vientiane isn't international, that was 2 years ago so maybe it's different now