Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Not sure yet, but sooner than you. Was aiming to go to a wedding in the states in April and continue on from there. You gonna head for a city or the shticks? I know a few people who've worked in the ski resorts before and highly recommend it. I'm thinking Vancouver for a start and mosey on north, then east from there. Pick 2 or 3 locations where I'll work for a while and spend the rest of the time travelling around.
Are you going down the USIT visa route?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Yep, as much as I hate the thought of giving the thieving bastards any more of my cash, it's pretty much the only option unless you're applying for skilled migration. Or if you have a UK passport you can apply through BUNAC - another monopoly but slightly less of a rip off and their places aren't full yet.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Talking Top place alright!!

I moved here in 2006 with the USIT thingy and after a year my company (software) decided to help me stay on and they succesfully helped me get a 2 year Work Visa, have just applied for my permanent residence card, hopefully soon. I am living in Edmonton, about 3 hours north of Calgary, and the place is fantastic. Soccer is huge and the city even has its own Football (GAA) teams (1 mens & 1 womens). When deciding where to go, I had a Canadian friend I met while living in France and she told me that if it was work I was looking for then Alberta was the province for me. Her folks still live here and I had a place to stay for a month while I got work and a place to stay. Winters are not too bad, no rain which is great and Indoor soccer all Winter long makes it bearable.
If you have any questions... ask away
Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yep, as much as I hate the thought of giving the thieving bastards any more of my cash, it's pretty much the only option unless you're applying for skilled migration. Or if you have a UK passport you can apply through BUNAC - another monopoly but slightly less of a rip off and their places aren't full yet.
Friend of mine currently living in Kingston, ONT applied through BUNAC as her folks were British and that made it easier for her as she didnt need to apply at a certain time, however she did need to remain in the UK while that application is processed...so for those of you considering this route just remember you'll need to be in the UK from when you apply til when your application is ready. My friend got screwed though, she was dating a Canadian (and technically according to some laws here if you live with someone for longer than 6 months you are considered common-law husband & wife) which she tried gaining a Visa using, but as soon as she applied he dumped her a** and she had to leave the country and apply through BUNAC.
Old 31-03-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron19ie View Post
I am living in Edmonton, about 3 hours north of Calgary, and the place is fantastic.
Line dancing capital of Canada, so I've heard! I know a lad from Edmonton and a couple in Calgary so plan to visit those parts at some stage, but heading for the west coast to start.

Has anyone ever taken the rail trip across Canada or know much about it? Prices aren't too bad, from initial enquiries at least.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Line dancing capital of Canada, so I've heard! I know a lad from Edmonton and a couple in Calgary so plan to visit those parts at some stage, but heading for the west coast to start.

Has anyone ever taken the rail trip across Canada or know much about it? Prices aren't too bad, from initial enquiries at least.
Haven't been able to avail of this myself, but its a fantastic journey from all I've talked to. Seemed to be a bit expensive last time I looked at prices, but for seeing as much of the country as possible and relaxing while doing it...its a damn sight better then the greyhound