Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 29-02-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
Im wondering whats the deal with applying for a passport in Irish.
Can one do that even if your name on your birth cert is in english?
So for e.g. my first name on the birth cert was thomas. Can my name on my new irish passport be tomás.

Is this possilble?
my passport has my Irish name on it,near the front (it's an older style one) it has a page saying this person was born as ... with my name in the English spelling i.e my birth cert name ( which is in english ) . So yep it was possible less than 10 years ago anyway.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 PM

my passport is as Gaeilge, got it about 3/4 years ago.... i didnt need to prove anything about speaking/using Irish.....thats bollox, if you are an Irish citizen then you are entitled to have your passport in Irish, end of story........

on a side note, ive done a fair bit of traveling and the only downside of the passport in Irish is that it can lead to confusion at borders if the name on your tickets and/or other forms of ID is in english. say for example you are at the Russian border and the lad stamping the stuff doesnt speak english and strangely enough you dont speak Russian, its kinda hard to try explain that even though your ticket says John Murphy your passport says Sean O Murchu.

now saying that, ive crossed tons of borders with it, and simply showing the extra page saying my name in english got me through no problem......but to save this hassle always put flight tickets/visa's in the name that matches your passport.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Smithy View Post
Sure arent all new EU passports chipped these days anyway?
No, what are you talking about?

No one must know about this, lest you sabotage or plans for world domination.

NWO.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:54 PM

as much as I hate to say it, having a passport in Irish can be a hassle. My sister has had numerous problems abroad using it.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
John Murphy your passport says Sean O Murchu
What was the name on your birth cert? Was it the english or Irish version.

That is where im confused.

I can see how getting an irish passport could cause problems with names etc but i suppose having all visa's, tickets etc in your irish name should solve this....right?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jank View Post
What was the name on your birth cert? Was it the english or Irish version.

That is where im confused.

I can see how getting an irish passport could cause problems with names etc but i suppose having all visa's, tickets etc in your irish name should solve this....right?
my name on every document/ID belonging to me is in english except my passport.......and i still i use my english name on a day to day basis, college ID - everything.

there is no criteria you must fulfill to be eligible for an passport in irish; as long as you're entitled to an irish passport then you can have it in whatever language you want....its as simple as that.

again, if you want your passport in irish for whatever reasons you may have, then go for it......im glad i did it with mine........as i said earlier, ive been around the world with my passport in irish and my tickets in english and i never ran into any bother, if anything once or twice i just had to show them the extra page that has your details in english and it was fine

and yes, when applying for visa's etc maybe its an idea to do it in irish......actually come to think of it, every visa/border form ive ever filled in had a question "are you known by any other name?" to which i put down either of them................ .i really wouldnt stress over it.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:36 PM

The thing is that when i went to get my name in Irish on my passport they said that i need proof that im using my Irish name for 2 years.

So what the deal with that?
Clearly you didnt have those at hand