Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 27-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Border Reivers Disbanded

As it says in the breaking news section at the top.

Now that we've lost one Welsh team and one Scottish team from the Celtic League, should we consider looking in Italy for replacements?

Would the financial burden (especially on the Italian teams) be too much?

Is this actually a welcome development that will prevent players from playing too often?
Old 27-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Scottish rugby is in a bad state...it's no surprise that they will be disbanded. However, the borders is the heartland of Scottish rugby.....their clubs like Kelso, Hawick, South of Scotland etc were the big players in their league pre-professional era so it is a shame that they get the bullet while Glasgow survive, but i suppose it comes down to poulation base at the end of the day. The professional game has no room for sentiment.

Ambassador to Spain...yariba yariba!!!
Old 27-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle View Post
As it says in the breaking news section at the top.

Now that we've lost one Welsh team and one Scottish team from the Celtic League, should we consider looking in Italy for replacements?

Would the financial burden (especially on the Italian teams) be too much?

Is this actually a welcome development that will prevent players from playing too often?
which welsh region are we losing?

looks like the rainbow cup could be getting closer to coming into existence
Old 27-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Oh FFS.

This is a very bad development for rugby in Scotland. An absolute fucking disaster, to be precise.

At the same time, it's good for the Celtic League as a whole as it brings the number of games down. For the sake of Scottish rugby, I think it's a terrible decision but then so is playing the Edinburgh Celtic League home matches a Murrayfield and charging £20 for admission.

The SRFU are really not at the races and this is a damning inditemnet of their failure to promote the game. Their only competition is poorly attended, completely bipolar fitbaw and unpopular shinty. Makes the FAI look competent.

Still though, nice the way they shoot that stupid fucking artilery shell before every match, eh?
Old 27-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam2me View Post

looks like the rainbow cup could be getting closer to coming into existence
Can't see that happening Liam, as it is, the Celtic league involves far more travel than it should. Any more would surely kill off the poorer teams.
Old 27-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proinsias View Post
Can't see that happening Liam, as it is, the Celtic league involves far more travel than it should. Any more would surely kill off the poorer teams.
what travelling? the odd trip to scotland and wales? sure thats and hours flight, how much travelling do ya think S14 teams do?
Old 27-03-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
We already lost Celtic Warriors
Old 27-03-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
what travelling? the odd trip to scotland and wales? sure thats and hours flight, how much travelling do ya think S14 teams do?
Compare the S14 teams to the Heineken Cup, not the Celtic League/Rainbow Cup.

The matches between the Irish, Welsh and SA teams would be well attended. Not the case for the Italians and Scottish. For those teams, it would not be financially viable. hell, even Llanelli are in deep financial trouble if their plans for putting houses on Stradley Park and building a new out of town stadium don't go ahead. Which is looking less and less likely all the time.
There was a chance they'd collapse before christmas due to the £9 million debt, except a local millionare bailed them out.

To expect a team in that sort of trouble (Glasgow, Edinburgh and Connacht are in similar trouble) to fly to South Africa and Italy for cup matches is insanity.
Not to mention the vast expense the Italians would incurr, especially considering the size of their gates for domestic matches.
Old 27-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Whats the rainbow cup lads??

http://deliciousmixsessions.wordpress.com/

Bodytonic Soundcloud
Old 27-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Knock out cup proposed a few years back with the Celtic League teams, the Italians and South Africa.

Ain't gonna happen.