tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
sunderland till i die - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-04-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanger View Post
Agree totally on both of these points. Grigg has done as good as nothing since. As far as the Maja transfer goes, that was the one to break the bank for. Donald even says it himself when the deal is done - a million quid is nothing compared to promotion or words to that effect. Then why not break the bank then and keep him. Made no sense.
They didn’t even need to break the bank to get him to sign a contract. He was playing professionally, hadn’t thrown a strop, was still scoring goals so they could have just kept him until end of season and it probably would have helped them gain promotion.

They may have had more financial power to then keep him if they’d gone up but even if he left, they could have had a summer to find a replacement with likelihood of Championship football to offer better strikers. They completely lost out the minute the got rid of Maja. There was more to gain by keeping him than selling him at that stage.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanger View Post
Agree totally on both of these points. Grigg has done as good as nothing since. As far as the Maja transfer goes, that was the one to break the bank for. Donald even says it himself when the deal is done - a million quid is nothing compared to promotion or words to that effect. Then why not break the bank then and keep him. Made no sense.
They didn't even need to break the bank for him. The documentary doesn't show that Maja would have stayed till the summer but Sunderland pushed for January deal to cash in. They would have got around 500,000 in compensation in the summer.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 PM

I don't think Maja had any intention of signing a new contract. His head was turned by the agent, who wanted his slice of the pie in any move abroad.

Sunderland should still have done more though. And it was a cardinal mistake to let Maja go before they had signed a replacement. Letting it run down to the last minute meant over-paying for Grigg by 1.5m.

Staff, including the players have been furloughed today. Hardly a surprise if you've watched the documentary.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Looked like the club were fairly hamstrung with Maja, although it glossed over the details of their acceptance of the transfer. But they almost certainly would have been promoted had he stayed. If he went for free, I'm assuming the poor agent would have been short changed by a free transfer in the summer. The poor fella.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Looked like the club were fairly hamstrung with Maja, although it glossed over the details of their acceptance of the transfer. But they almost certainly would have been promoted had he stayed. If he went for free, I'm assuming the poor agent would have been short changed by a free transfer in the summer. The poor fella.
They’d have received some compensation based on his age?

Donald seemed to think having a player leaving at end of the season would affect the squad morale but the players and manager seemed to like Maja, who was scoring goals for fun. The owner is a good guy with best intentions but hadn’t an iota about transfer/contract dealings. That error cost the club is so many ways.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
They’d have received some compensation based on his age?

Donald seemed to think having a player leaving at end of the season would affect the squad morale but the players and manager seemed to like Maja, who was scoring goals for fun. The owner is a good guy with best intentions but hadn’t an iota about transfer/contract dealings. That error cost the club is so many ways.
Who?

I'm on about the agent. He was forcing a transfer because a freebie wouldn't have been as lucrative for himself, I assume.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Who?

I'm on about the agent. He was forcing a transfer because a freebie wouldn't have been as lucrative for himself, I assume.
Sunderland get a compensation fee from the club be he signs for on a free because of his age. So he technically wouldn’t have ever gone for free. An independent panel would decide the fee paid for Maja and given he would have likely likely scored a lot of goals, they’d have gone a decent fee at that I would imagine.

Also, his agent probably gets a signing on fee regardless if it’s a free transfer or not. Usually agents tend to demand more when their client is a free agent as the club signing the player doesn’t have to pay a fee to another club. So his agent would have got a nice wad off Bordeaux regardless.

Basically it was one major fuck up by Sunderland to let him go in January.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:00 PM
Senior PROC Member

Avoiding this thread for spoilers, but just in. to season two.

That marketing fella
Old 09-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump View Post
Avoiding this thread for spoilers, but just in. to season two.

That marketing fella

He seemed like a prick at the beginning but I warmed to him at the end of that speech.

Stuart Donald seems like a good lad, I hope it works out for him.

Lol @ the call into the radio show. The club has just gotten relegated for the second season running and a fan is concerned that some of the seats have faded from red to pink
Old 09-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantOfEnnis View Post
He seemed like a prick at the beginning but I warmed to him at the end of that speech.

Stuart Donald seems like a good lad, I hope it works out for him.

Lol @ the call into the radio show. The club has just gotten relegated for the second season running and a fan is concerned that some of the seats have faded from red to pink
Aye, I might have misjudged him. Just watched him talking to the fans in episode two, and he seemed upfront and genuine.