tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Coronavirus In Sport - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM
Shabby Shabby is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,271
Default Coronavirus In Sport

It is coming across a lot of threads so why not just have it in one spot rather than it being loosely connected to other threads.

Looks like the PL will be at the very least, finally suspended for a few weeks. And rightly so. Some pushing to cancel the season altogether. People think of Liverpool when that is mentioned but it really affects the relegation and promotion sides much further given the money involved. What do we think should happen/think of the whole situation in general?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 PM
One One is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 26,762
Default




And badly at that....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Cloudy O'Ranieri Cloudy O'Ranieri is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17,340
Default

Who cares? I'm more concerned with Coronavirus in the lungs of some old folk that I know, at this stage.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 PM
One One is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 26,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Who cares? I'm more concerned with Coronavirus in the lungs of some old folk that I know, at this stage.
x2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2020, 11:40 PM
Shabby Shabby is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Who cares? I'm more concerned with Coronavirus in the lungs of some old folk that I know, at this stage.
Why did you post if you don’t care? Just avoid the thread. It has come up on a few threads I’ve seen so here is one place to discuss openly the impact it has across various sports. Clearly the bigger and more important picture is that everyone stays fit and healthy. That’s just a general hope for everyone in life I would have thought!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13-03-2020, 12:00 AM
shez1987 shez1987 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,309
Default

You would imagine a decision will be made to suspend all football indefinitely, postpone the Euros until next week and allow the domestic leagues to finish, if and when they can over the summer months.

The alternative is to void the season, which a 'small minority' of Premier League clubs apparently want (the relegation-threatened teams obviously). But that should be the nuclear option and would fly in the face of sporting integrity and open up a slew of lawsuits.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13-03-2020, 12:08 AM
Shabby Shabby is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
You would imagine a decision will be made to suspend all football indefinitely, postpone the Euros until next week and allow the domestic leagues to finish, if and when they can over the summer months.

The alternative is to void the season, which a 'small minority' of Premier League clubs apparently want (the relegation-threatened teams obviously). But that should be the nuclear option and would fly in the face of sporting integrity and open up a slew of lawsuits.
Top, sensible post.

I’m not sure why even starting a new season should take preference to finishing a season that is 80% complete. Why would you just start again next August? It wouldn’t make sense to just start away next August as if 2020 was never a thing.

In any case I am unsure any sporting season could even be concluded by June. This thing could go in a lot longer than we think. We are very much in the early stage of it. I certainly don’t agree with any sport taking place behind closed doors. There are no sporting moments without fans. Look at Ighalo’s goal tonight. A screamer that should have been seen my fans in the flesh. We also saw the crowds drawn to PSG’s behind closed doors game outside the stadium last night. We can’t have that happen. All sport needs to be suspended indefinitely. Just pick up again when public safety is assured.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13-03-2020, 01:34 AM
finbarrog finbarrog is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5,056
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Top, sensible post.

I’m not sure why even starting a new season should take preference to finishing a season that is 80% complete. Why would you just start again next August? It wouldn’t make sense to just start away next August as if 2020 was never a thing.

In any case I am unsure any sporting season could even be concluded by June. This thing could go in a lot longer than we think. We are very much in the early stage of it. I certainly don’t agree with any sport taking place behind closed doors. There are no sporting moments without fans. Look at Ighalo’s goal tonight. A screamer that should have been seen my fans in the flesh. We also saw the crowds drawn to PSG’s behind closed doors game outside the stadium last night. We can’t have that happen. All sport needs to be suspended indefinitely. Just pick up again when public safety is assured.
I find the Cheltenham thing atrocious. I love Horse Racing and Cheltenham but this was totally reckless. I remember a story from the 50’s and I think Maloney was his name and bred horses in North Cork ( I know exactly where it was) so happy he went and could not get back to Ireland for weeks turning into months.
So let’s just flash to another year and the festival was canceled maybe because of fear of the Foot and Mouth again.
Now in 2020 we have idiots and I mean idiots going to a something different.
I will have no respect for anyone that comes back sick and trying to blame everyone.
Ridiculous stuff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13-03-2020, 08:01 AM
One One is online now
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 26,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Top, sensible post.

I’m not sure why even starting a new season should take preference to finishing a season that is 80% complete. Why would you just start again next August? It wouldn’t make sense to just start away next August as if 2020 was never a thing.

In any case I am unsure any sporting season could even be concluded by June. This thing could go in a lot longer than we think. We are very much in the early stage of it. I certainly don’t agree with any sport taking place behind closed doors. There are no sporting moments without fans. Look at Ighalo’s goal tonight. A screamer that should have been seen my fans in the flesh. We also saw the crowds drawn to PSG’s behind closed doors game outside the stadium last night. We can’t have that happen. All sport needs to be suspended indefinitely. Just pick up again when public safety is assured.
Pure unbridled panic from the Cork 'scousers'.

The league is going to be scrapped. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter a jot.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13-03-2020, 08:22 AM
Up For The Ba Up For The Ba is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: good news caravan
Posts: 6,362
Default

Hudson Odoi the latest to be confirmed as testing positive. One thing is for sure, this isn’t going to disrupt things for a mere few weeks, this will go on for months.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.