tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Coronavirus In Sport - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM

Default Coronavirus In Sport

It is coming across a lot of threads so why not just have it in one spot rather than it being loosely connected to other threads.

Looks like the PL will be at the very least, finally suspended for a few weeks. And rightly so. Some pushing to cancel the season altogether. People think of Liverpool when that is mentioned but it really affects the relegation and promotion sides much further given the money involved. What do we think should happen/think of the whole situation in general?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 PM
Senior PROC Member

And badly at that....
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 PM

Who cares? I'm more concerned with Coronavirus in the lungs of some old folk that I know, at this stage.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Who cares? I'm more concerned with Coronavirus in the lungs of some old folk that I know, at this stage.
x2
Old 12-03-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy O'Ranieri View Post
Why did you post if you don’t care? Just avoid the thread. It has come up on a few threads I’ve seen so here is one place to discuss openly the impact it has across various sports. Clearly the bigger and more important picture is that everyone stays fit and healthy. That’s just a general hope for everyone in life I would have thought!
Old 13-03-2020, 12:00 AM

You would imagine a decision will be made to suspend all football indefinitely, postpone the Euros until next week and allow the domestic leagues to finish, if and when they can over the summer months.

The alternative is to void the season, which a 'small minority' of Premier League clubs apparently want (the relegation-threatened teams obviously). But that should be the nuclear option and would fly in the face of sporting integrity and open up a slew of lawsuits.
Old 13-03-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
You would imagine a decision will be made to suspend all football indefinitely, postpone the Euros until next week and allow the domestic leagues to finish, if and when they can over the summer months.

The alternative is to void the season, which a 'small minority' of Premier League clubs apparently want (the relegation-threatened teams obviously). But that should be the nuclear option and would fly in the face of sporting integrity and open up a slew of lawsuits.
Top, sensible post.

I’m not sure why even starting a new season should take preference to finishing a season that is 80% complete. Why would you just start again next August? It wouldn’t make sense to just start away next August as if 2020 was never a thing.

In any case I am unsure any sporting season could even be concluded by June. This thing could go in a lot longer than we think. We are very much in the early stage of it. I certainly don’t agree with any sport taking place behind closed doors. There are no sporting moments without fans. Look at Ighalo’s goal tonight. A screamer that should have been seen my fans in the flesh. We also saw the crowds drawn to PSG’s behind closed doors game outside the stadium last night. We can’t have that happen. All sport needs to be suspended indefinitely. Just pick up again when public safety is assured.
Old 13-03-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Top, sensible post.

I’m not sure why even starting a new season should take preference to finishing a season that is 80% complete. Why would you just start again next August? It wouldn’t make sense to just start away next August as if 2020 was never a thing.

In any case I am unsure any sporting season could even be concluded by June. This thing could go in a lot longer than we think. We are very much in the early stage of it. I certainly don’t agree with any sport taking place behind closed doors. There are no sporting moments without fans. Look at Ighalo’s goal tonight. A screamer that should have been seen my fans in the flesh. We also saw the crowds drawn to PSG’s behind closed doors game outside the stadium last night. We can’t have that happen. All sport needs to be suspended indefinitely. Just pick up again when public safety is assured.
I find the Cheltenham thing atrocious. I love Horse Racing and Cheltenham but this was totally reckless. I remember a story from the 50’s and I think Maloney was his name and bred horses in North Cork ( I know exactly where it was) so happy he went and could not get back to Ireland for weeks turning into months.
So let’s just flash to another year and the festival was canceled maybe because of fear of the Foot and Mouth again.
Now in 2020 we have idiots and I mean idiots going to a something different.
I will have no respect for anyone that comes back sick and trying to blame everyone.
Ridiculous stuff
Old 13-03-2020, 08:01 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby View Post
Top, sensible post.

Pure unbridled panic from the Cork 'scousers'.

The league is going to be scrapped. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter a jot.
Old 13-03-2020, 08:22 AM

Hudson Odoi the latest to be confirmed as testing positive. One thing is for sure, this isn’t going to disrupt things for a mere few weeks, this will go on for months.