tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Boys in Green Charlton years - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 09-03-2020, 12:48 AM

Default The Boys in Green Charlton years

Alright folks it’s going to be on .
Memories are going to be abound but they were fantastic days.
My favorite memory of a player in that era is going to a Swindon game with my brother and he was at all the games in 88 and 90 and is 8 years older than me.
So we went to a Swindon game because my uncle worked there.
We met in my mind a legend who invited me I was about 15 I think and myself brother went invited by this legend back to the players lounge.
He bought pints and I had a lucozade but I will never forget a moment when my brother asked him about Russia . The gifted left leg legend that has 2 FA cups with spurs and Urefa cup I think told his story about he was fluent in Russia at the time and had Degrees in a lot of aspects.
Now a professor teaching at London College but you would never have taught it whilst playing.
Tony Galvin what a legend.
Fantastic years and some memories
Old 09-03-2020, 01:49 AM

That is a great story, Finy. It goes to show that not all athletes fit a certain mold and chance meetings are the beauty of life.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundyfield View Post
That is a great story, Finy. It goes to show that not all athletes fit a certain mold and chance meetings are the beauty of life.
Roundy a chara I hope you will be able to watch this in the great state of Pennsylvania. True story Anthony Buckley was playing for Boston College and I was playing for Frederick small school inn Western Maryland and this was 94 before any phones and pretty much internet.
I think Buckley got a ticket to the game and we were on scholarship at the time around 94 .
I shit you not I watched the game against Italy in 94 because I could not afford the prices in the Blarney Stone pub with my sister that was visiting.
Not a few bob to get through the next week and I seaward to almighty God a couple sat down next to us at the bar. I swear to god Roundy this is true. It was Pail Hill and the Kennedy wife.
Honest to god that’s true and it was the same day the OJ Simipson chase.
If changed not only that day in New Jersey maybe a few things but Jack Charlton made a small nation dream big back then.
By accounts Jack has Dementia but no man brought belief and a sense of pride that no politician could ever try.
These were great players at the time told by a manager to
Play a certain way.
Jack was lefty as he said he always got fed on the left side by his mother.
Bobby was the spoilt one but Jack was the real deal.
He brought a nation to its breath but much more he brought a happiness to every household in Ireland at the time.
I never forget them days
Old 09-03-2020, 02:24 PM
Senior PROC Member

Met Alex Ferguson in Palo Alto having watched Ireland v Mexico on the TV. Posed for a photo with him and the guys with me who'd been watching the game asked after he left "Who was that". Penny only dropped with them after I told them even though I'd called him Alex

He reckoned Ireland had blown the chance of going further but I said that I thought the late consolation goal might prove important. And so it did

I corrected AF on a football matter
Old 09-03-2020, 04:01 PM

Some smell of Werther's Originals and piss stained Farah slacks in here.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly sham View Post
Some smell of Werther's Originals and piss stained Farah slacks in here.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:41 PM

Tears shed, m8s. It was a different time.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:43 PM

Enjoyed that. Imagine only for Dave Langan who was Oxfords right back there was never gonna be an Aldridge’s or Houghton both played that time together with Oxfords run to the Milk Cup before the Liverpool days.
Delighted to see Kevin Sheedy also.Chris our first black player and McGrath we all know how good he was.
I reckon in 92 if we didn’t blow the lead against Poland we were serious contenders for that Euro.
Denmark won it and only got in because the situation in Yugoslavia at the time.
Look at the clubs all these guys were playing for.
Incredible stuff
Old 09-03-2020, 10:53 PM

Great memories and as Finbarr says our players then were playing with top clubs,
Old 09-03-2020, 11:10 PM

Great times indeed. Still one of my biggest regrets was not going to Italy in 1990. Remember the bedlam after we beat Spain at home in the qualifiers. I don't think I ever experienced an atmosphere like it in Lansdowne Road ever since.