tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Analytics in Football - Official Thread - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-11-2014, 02:01 PM

"Statistics are a nonsense"

John Giles
Old 11-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavvy Alonso View Post
"Statistics are a nonsense"

John Giles
I heard that 7 out of 10 statistics are made up on the spot.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:48 PM

Location: Living in a candy jail Peppermint bars Peanut brittle bunk beds and marshmallow walls

Fascinating stats analysis on Bayern's "Gegenpressing" and much more here: http://t.co/bsUN8amB7A
Old 11-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Senior PROC Member

Listened to Damien Comolli's interview on Second Captains the other night. Said himself that mistakes were made because of an over reliance on stats at times. I can't take some of these stats seriously tbh. Assisting the assister? Really, that's too far down the rabbit hole.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 PM

There's lots of good player data available but, you do have to take other effects into account when assessing whether a player will suit a new team in a different league.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:42 PM

Chris Anderson and Dave Sally's 'The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong' is worth a read for a stat wank. I meant to re-read it before starting the fantasy football this year but never got round to it.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 PM

The more serious fantasy football player tends to use a lot of the OPTA-type stats that are out there, sometimes for a fee. You can generate your personalized tables and filters comparing heat maps, key passes, touches in the opponents box, and so on.

Then you'd more potential-based stuff geared specifically to fantasy football, such as an ICT Index, which tries to assess a player's 'influence', 'creativity' and 'threat' which are more abstract.

It can be handy enough if you take the fantasy stuff semi-seriously. Saying that the one year I delved into all this stuff was the same year I had my worst year by far.

Sometimes you can over-analyse a lot of this stuff. What's that quote about statistics resembling the drunk and the lamppost, 'they are handy for support, not so much for illumination'.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLutherPingJr View Post
Chris Anderson and Dave Sally's 'The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong' is worth a read for a stat wank. I meant to re-read it before starting the fantasy football this year but never got round to it.
I read it last year. Decent enough the more into it you get.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post
The more serious fantasy football player tends to use a lot of the OPTA-type stats that are out there, sometimes for a fee. You can generate your personalized tables and filters comparing heat maps, key passes, touches in the opponents box, and so on.

Then you'd more potential-based stuff geared specifically to fantasy football, such as an ICT Index, which tries to assess a player's 'influence', 'creativity' and 'threat' which are more abstract.

It can be handy enough if you take the fantasy stuff semi-seriously. Saying that the one year I delved into all this stuff was the same year I had my worst year by far.

Sometimes you can over-analyse a lot of this stuff. What's that quote about statistics resembling the drunk and the lamppost, 'they are handy for support, not so much for illumination'.
The question is always whether certain trends are sustainable. For instance, Yaya's form last season wasn't sustainable. Ditto Adebayor, as is painfully obvious.

Learning how to interpret and use the data properly is more than half the battle.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez1987 View Post

This.