Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
A walk that passes a convent. Not an unusual thing like

@Topic - well you live and learn!
5 nun's in South Presentation convent last I heard so you're not likely to see many nuns in full garb around Douglas Street.

Besides the one you mentioned on Pearse Road how many convents with nun's in them still exist in Cork city? Can't be many left as most nun's have gone out to live in the community.
Id say most convents are almost empty waiting for the last few oldies to die off.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The High King View Post
5 nun's in South Presentation convent last I heard so you're not likely to see many nuns in full garb around Douglas Street.

Besides the one you mentioned on Pearse Road how many convents with nun's in them still exist in Cork city? Can't be many left as most nun's have gone out to live in the community.
Id say most convents are almost empty waiting for the last few oldies to die off.
The nuns in the convent in Blarney are always wearing the full rigout
Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopicGrinder View Post
So you want rid of the freedom of choice of woman who chooses to wear the burka and hijab in this country ?
It's quite common m8
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
So you want rid of the freedom of choice of woman who chooses to wear the burka and hijab in this country ?
Personally speaking I'm not into the whole banning things but a line needs to be drawn somewhere. Hijabs aren't much of an issue for me, by all means cover your head if you want. People of all persuasions do it. But niqabs and burkas are a different story. Walking around in public with a balaclava isn't socially acceptable, for security reasons etc, neither should other forms of masking the entire face/head, including niqabs and burkas.
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The High King View Post
It's quite common m8
Just because it is quite common does not mean we have to direct women as to what they can or can't wear.

Quote:
The nuns in the convent in Blarney are always wearing the full rigout
Oh rly?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Neither of the links above are forcing people to cover up, it's advisory.

make sure you cover your legs and upper arms when you’re travelling outside of resorts

Men are expected to dress modestly in full-length trousers and shirts with sleeves

a full-length black over-garment must wear an Abaya when out in public.

Homosexual behaviour is illegal in Saudi Arabia. Caution and discretion are advised

Irish women dress how they want as they are allowed to even when traveling to these countries yet you want to force woman wearing the hijab and burka to conform to this in our countrye, where is there choice to wear what they want?
Talk about hypocrisy!
Thats some stern fucking advice there.

The hypocrisy is people from these societies expecting us to conform to their norms, which in general, we do for fear of causing offence, being arrested, assaulted, raped(adultery apparently) yet when they come to our societies their norms are never challenged.

Why not???

Edit. Its saturday. I have shite to do so don't view a lack of immediate response as a sign lf defeat����
Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Just because it is quite common does not mean we have to direct women as to what they can or can't wear.
I think it's a great idea to ban the veil m8
And so do France, Belgium and the progressive Netherlands. Im happy to be in that company and hopefully Ireland follows soon.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeartimmyboy View Post

The hypocrisy is people from these societies expecting us to conform to their norms, which in general, we do for fear of causing offence, being arrested, assaulted, raped(adultery apparently) yet when they come to our societies their norms are never challenged.

Why not???
I deliberately ignore the homo sexual one as it brings nothing to the argument as it was outlawed here up till 1993. Why are you bringing other offences in to this, this is about you telling women in this country what they cant' wear, the same as these countries in the middle east do to their own women, that is hypocrisy.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeartimmyboy View Post

Why not???

Edit. Its saturday. I have shite to do so don't view a lack of immediate response as a sign lf defeat����
You're dead right. I welcome people from other countries as long as they contribute to society etc. But the onus should be on them confirming to our customs, not us bending over to accommodate theirs.

I mentioned here before about a fella I met in Oz a couple of years ago. His a partner of a relative of mine and while having a few beers one night a discussing immigration he had a very simple mantra. "Fit in, or fuck off". Can't argue with it really.