Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Rate City Of Culture 2005 Success/Experience Out Of 10

This should be interesting....
Old 07-12-2005, 04:38 PM

No 3 and a half option so fuck it
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM

Who the hell voted 10?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:39 PM

from the performance point of view, it was a great year for me! performed in 3 shows and countless concerts! so i, for one, enjoyed the year. (but then again this is purely from a performers point of view)
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM

Living in Dublin myself but from when I was down home and what I have heard it wasn't great. The one thing I will say is it has brought Cork back into the national consciousness and the number of people from work that have visited Cork as a result is quite big, usually it being their first time in years being down there. Most of them were very impressed with the city and how it's developing. So while it hasn't been a week in week out cultural success I think it will have medium/long term benefits for the city.
Old 16-12-2005, 07:25 AM

Any chance of making this a sticky?
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM

Wink

gave it 4,the fireworks at the start of the year garnered 2 points, and so did the fireworks new years eve
Old 05-01-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm still unsure what people expected. There were suggestions that it was too elitist, but populist events should have been profitable in their own right (e.g. Gigs in the showgrounds) and not eligible for funding.

Events like the street theatre were worthwhile and will hopefully be repeated if sponsorship can be found. The year gave a kick-start to performing companies like Opera 2005, who hopefully will have a future (and a new name!!!) despite funding problems. The knitting map was a scandalous waste of almost 10% of the total budget.

Overall, my biggest criticism would be of the committee's communications. Events were on, but they were not publicised. Information on the website was out of date or just inaccurate. Listings seemed to be published in The Echo on a Thursday, which wasn't much good for weekend visitors. Many people who didn't participate may have done so, if they'd known what there was to do.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:08 PM

I gave it a five and it was lucky to get that the only reason was I was involved in a couple of events plus I enjoyed the fireworks, street theatre, and a few more things. Where it went wrong was the fact that the supposed soccer tournament was a now show, the one off big concert didnt happen, there should have been more street events and stuff for families etc..
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM

Disappointed in "it".