tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Walk The Line - Page 3 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 19-10-2005, 11:35 AM

Look, it's a film. Where Joaquin didn't physically look like Johnny he certainly carried off his personality and I never doubted his integrety.

It was over two hours long and needed to focus on his early career, let's be honest, the drugs,love, formative years have got to be a lot more interesting than the finding Jesus portion which would have stretched the movie into a four hour epic.
As it is it concentrated on the person, didn't glorify him, showed his resolve and doggedness that was a strong personality trait, showed him as a caring, selfish man, and how he matured to be with the woman he loved. It's like a classic western! He fought the (bad guy (drugs!) and got the woman!
We all knew at the end of the movie that he had progressed and would be happy, or happier anyway.
There is a defining point in everybody's life where they have to weigh up what they want in life and this was Johnnys, hence it being the backbone of the film.
It avoided most of the beatles-esque crowd mania self-congratulatory themes and concentrated on the person.
He made peace with himself in the era shown and this peace is what brought him into the finding god portion of his life, it defined him as who he was.
Of course I have gripes with the film too - the sound and the songwriting bits, but I don't know if there's a way of showing hours of intense labour in a few minutes of a movie without it seeming absurd - see the scenes in the Doors where the organ riff for light my fire is written as an example.

I can't fault the era chosen for this film, it was his biggest personal battle.

I think my main issue is that you have to take certain things for granted when you go to a movie - the star has never looked the the real character - the test is if they can convey the person through actions, personality, and, in this case, sound and attitude, which I think Joaquin pulled off admirably.

Personally I thought Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis were less convincing as they were almost a pastiche of the real thing.

You're right, by the way, hi-5 is derivative!

I'm a life-long Johnny fan, and I admire the way the film isn't a highlight of his greatest moments, rather a character study.

That's my pennysworth, I've a feeling we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:53 PM

well there is mention to his Gospel songs from the early period.
And some of the tunes that are included are fairly religious also.
Old 19-10-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarra
I think my main issue is that you have to take certain things for granted when you go to a movie - the star has never looked the the real character -
Fair enough.
I disagree with just this bit.
I thought Will Smith managed a passable Ali.
Jamie Foxx had the look of Ray Charles down.
They had enough of the look and mannerisms to suspend disbelief.
Same goes with Frida, Man On The Moon, People V Larry Flynt even Gandhi, ffs.
I'm not saying you have to be a dead ringer but at least remind you of the person.
Phoenix looked so unlike him that it had the effect of reminding you he was an actor the whole time. The scar didn't help.
Old 19-10-2005, 03:20 PM

I think it would be almost impossible to find someone to look like him. I haven't seen the film yet, but I have gathered (from autobiographies etc.) that June, and his love for her, were a huge part of his life. And obviously his amphetamine addictions and other drug problems were a big part of his life. So, I think, these are a good focal point for the film to develop his characeter from.

From what I have read as well, he almost sees his life as split in two. The part before he enters Nickajack Cave and when he comes out as a new clean religious person. So I think they were right to focus on one part of it (if this is what they have done), as otherwise the film would be ridiculously long.
Old 20-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Once again, debarra is on the ball and states his point well. I completely agree- suspension of disbelief is part of enjoying a film. If a barely noticeable hair lip is enough to put you off well... that's a pity!
Old 21-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtheory
Once again, debarra is on the ball and states his point well. I completely agree- suspension of disbelief is part of enjoying a film. If a barely noticeable hair lip is enough to put you off well... that's a pity!

Again, it was in the Opera House.
It was the size of a hurl.
Old 22-10-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Murdoch
Again, it was in the Opera House.
It was the size of a hurl.
It's all relative- everything else was bigger than real life too...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 PM

new johnny cash lp out july 4

http://www.cmj.com/articles/display_...hp?id=13047232

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 AM

Nice one, there have been so many of the same type of compilations out recently cashing in( no pun intended I swear). It will be good to have something fresh, I hope Rick Rubin doesn't do a Tupac on it and release any old thing after this album. I'd hope this would be the best of what was recorded prior to his passing and anything else should be left behind and not simply released to make a buck or two.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM

I think he is a fine actor and very handsome ... lovely eyes ...