tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Cork Hurlers - Part 2 - Page 3319 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Meyler and Fraggy have, by and large, been given the benefit of the doubt even after the shambles that was the extra-time in the semi last year and to be honest I like what they’ve done this season to date in terms of building a squad that they can be confident in.

But to not have a clear plan for Tony Kelly in your two games against Clare this season is mind boggling. It’s like they didn’t bother watching the last 2 Clare matches vs Tipp and Limerick. Would be my biggest worry about us going forward now, more than any issue I’d have with individual defenders.
Old 18-06-2019, 10:58 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Cork View Post
Most teams have one or two players who contribute most scores. Kilkenny have Reid, Limerick have Gillane and Galway relied on Canning.

I think we are better served than a lot of counties in that Horgan, Cadogan, Lehane and Kingston are all scoring forwards .

I agree about Downey, I don't think he has the pace that you associate with a wing back. I wonder where he will play for the under 20's.
I think someone further up showed the stats that compared to Limerick and Tipp we are much more heavily reliant on the full forward line than other teams. Galway did indeed seem to rely heavily on Canning though
Old 18-06-2019, 11:01 AM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetharlear View Post
Meyler and Fraggy have, by and large, been given the benefit of the doubt even after the shambles that was the extra-time in the semi last year and to be honest I like what they’ve done this season to date in terms of building a squad that they can be confident in.

But to not have a clear plan for Tony Kelly in your two games against Clare this season is mind boggling. It’s like they didn’t bother watching the last 2 Clare matches vs Tipp and Limerick. Would be my biggest worry about us going forward now, more than any issue I’d have with individual defenders.
Agreed that our management team don't exactly instil super confidence the way the likes of The Silver Fox used to. Knowing so-and-so wasn't having a great game but move him on to someone else where he'd shine. It goes back to the old days when Cork used to generally fashion a victory despite having played poorly for much of it - the correct changes were generally made on the line. Not sure that the current management team have that nous to be honest. More in hope than in confidence.
Old 18-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrass View Post
I agree.definitely can't leave such a potent forward on the line.
This Cork team will not win an All-Ireland without Lehane playing near his best.
For Cork to win he has to be guaranteed an all-star.
Had Cork beaten Limerick in 70 mins last year he would have been man of the match for second half display. From that, I imagine his confidence would have been sky high and he would have gone on to deliver a great All-Ireland performance - Cork beating Galway and he getting an All-Star.
If only...
Old 18-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Agree with many posters that Lehane has to come back, but for who? Tough to call, as Meade and Kearney are so important for Cork to hold possession and this will be crucial against a packed defence like Wexford. Aidan Walsh has definitely improved the physicality of this Cork forward line, but there seems to be zero scoring threat there. I would be very interested to see how Dalton would get on in the qualifier against Laois or Westmeath, playing in the role that Walsh had. My 15 going forward would look something like this:

Nash
Spillane Cadogan O'Leary
Downey Ellis Coleman
Cooper Fitzgibbon
Kearney Harnedy Lehane
Cadogan Horgan Dalton
Old 18-06-2019, 07:36 PM
PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMÁS View Post
This Cork team will not win an All-Ireland without Lehane playing near his best.
Had Cork beaten Limerick in 70 mins last year he would have been man of the match for second half display. From that, I imagine his confidence would have been sky high and he would have gone on to deliver a great All-Ireland performance - Cork beating Galway and he getting an All-Star.
If only...
Lehane was brutal when he came on. The reality is take Hoggy and Bill Cooper out of this team and we will struggle.
Old 18-06-2019, 07:38 PM
PROC Member

The inability to field ball from puckouts will haunt us again and again and fellas here just keep ignoring it every time.
Old 18-06-2019, 07:52 PM

I think Lehane has got to start form is temporay class is permanent ...Christy O Connor of the Echo I think summed up this Cork team very well "Class, Speed and Space " but my worry is when we don't find the space we get bullied like last sunday we have to be able to react to this or forget about winning An All-Ireland....
Old 18-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORK1990 View Post
I think Lehane has got to start form is temporay class is permanent ...Christy O Connor of the Echo I think summed up this Cork team very well "Class, Speed and Space " but my worry is when we don't find the space we get bullied like last sunday we have to be able to react to this or forget about winning An All-Ireland....
And you think lehane is the man to stop this Cork team being bullied?
Old 18-06-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMÁS View Post
If only...