Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Senior PROC Member

"Stuxnet worm signals the dawn of the cyber super weapon
By John Herrman | Sep 22, 2010 | 3 Comments

First discovered back in June of this year, the Stuxnet worm was strange from the start. Most malware tends to target personal computers; Stuxnet is aimed squarely at industrial operations. Common worms infect users’ Windows PCs, and conscript them into large, interconnect botnets used as spam farms; Stuxnet, it seems, infects industrial control systems, for reasons not immediately apparent.

Now, though, its true purpose may have been revealed, via the Christian Science Monitor. A German security researcher named Ralph Langer, noticing that the worm lay dormant in most of the systems it infects, has developed–and convincingly supported–a stunning theory: The Stuxnet worm is targeted at a single location, which it seeks to destroy, or at the very least, cripple.

For a little background, here’s how security and antivirus company Symantec describes Stuxnet. (Warning–it gets a bit technical.)

To translate: By means of an infected USB key or other storage media, Stuxnet can take over complex computers designed to control industrial functions, such as those in a factory or power plant, without being detected by the systems meant to monitor said computers.

The tool has confounded security researchers, both with its complexity and its focus. It likely required a good deal of resources to write, and shows evidence of extensive knowledge of industrial computer systems, which it can commandeer, and use to sabotage operation in a variety of scenarios. It seems unlikely to net anyone material or monetary benefit.

After its discovery, hunches abounded that Stuxnet was a targeted weapon. And Langer’s conclusion–that the worm is “fingerprinting” its targets for extremely specific traits, and remaining dormant if it doesn’t find them–suggests just that. “This is sabotage. What we see is the manipulation of one specific process,” Langer writes. “The target must be of extremely high value to the attacker.”

But even Langer, a veteran security researcher, is reticent about his next theory: That the targeted facility is a nuclear plant in Bushehr, Iran. As evidence, he cites the startlingly high incidence of infection in the country, the susceptibility of the plant’s hardware and software, and official reports of mysterious failures at the plant, implying that the malware may have already fulfilled its singular purpose.

Specific theories aside, the implications of these findings are weighty. Stuxnet represents the dawn of a new era in which nations’ infrastructures are under threat from bits, as well as bombs."

It is estimated that a minimum of eight people with expertise in eight relevant specialities could have written the programme for the Stuxnet worm, Their achievments will appear fairly primitive with what the resources of the technological superpowers will now produce. Think of the resource allocation that produced the Manhattan Project and that landed man on the moon. It probably sounded impossible at the time but then the Germans also thought their codes were unbreakable during WW11 !!!
Old 15-10-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
Funny thing happened to me since my two first posts on this thread Somehow my password was invalidated and I could not access the PRC forums with the past two weeks. Now, if I was paranoiac ????
So now we know what Liam is up to.
Old 15-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debgor2 View Post
So now we know what Liam is up to.
I thought that you might have something to do with it
Old 15-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
It is estimated that a minimum of eight people with expertise in eight relevant specialities could have written the programme for the Stuxnet worm, Their achievments will appear fairly primitive with what the resources of the technological superpowers will now produce. Think of the resource allocation that produced the Manhattan Project and that landed man on the moon. It probably sounded impossible at the time but then the Germans also thought their codes were unbreakable during WW11 !!!
Jesus, I missed nine world wars?! How the fuck did that happen?

Is there anyone left alive at all?
Old 15-10-2010, 08:31 PM

They were mini world wars.
Old 16-10-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernerd View Post
To say the current issues with Iran are just about oil is a massive over simplification at best, and completely misinformed at worst.
I agree it is simplistic but everything relates back to that reason and as Kappa mentioned the world's biggest economic power wishing to control the region with the world's biggest reserves of a scarce resource. I would also agree with Kappa that the nuclear issue is a contentious one as the US seem to be thwarting any effort Iran have made such as the fuel swap agreed by Turkey and Brazil with Iran. Why did they do this?? Are they looking for a reason to go to war as they did with Iraq? If you read in between the lines and this has been said by reports in the US and Israel, Iran is a long way off from developing nuclear weapons. So what is the reason they are stoking trouble with Iran? Are we back to controlling the oil again???

On an aside, as you agree ubernerd, the Iranian government is not the best on human rights etc but there are a long list of countries that aren't so that is neither here nor there and is more an internal issue and as I said before the Shah was a lot worse but he was never threatened because he was in the US's pocket.

Last edited by leesider; 16-10-2010 at 05:19 AM..
Old 16-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Forgot to mention the military industrial complex which relies on war and fear to make its profits.......war is good for controlling oil resources and for the likes of Lockheed and Raytheon.
Old 16-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior PROC Member

Ralph Langer at the Christian Science Monitor.

Hmmmmm......
Old 16-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesider View Post
Forgot to mention the military industrial complex which relies on war and fear to make its profits.......war is good for controlling oil resources and for the likes of Lockheed and Raytheon.
Have you read any history, at all, ever?
Old 16-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
Check out the islamophobia with this guy

Did your mother get gang-banged in a kebab shop or what's the story?
Phobia (from the Greek: φόβος,phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is an irrational, intense and persistent fear of certain situations, activities, things, animals, or people.

Nothing irrational about finding Islam abhorrent my good man. Do learn what a word means before you pathetically try and denigrate somebody with it.

Thanks in advance for your increased efforts.