tempobet Instagram Profiles
The Official World Cup 2014 Thread - Page 307 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Banned

Dublin footballers have had 3 biting incidents in the last couple years. Wheres the outrage from the media about that?
Old 25-06-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Tree View Post
Re. Suarez, agree with Dunphy on RTE this morning. Calls for 2 year bans and the like are completely disproportionate. He is still a great asset to the game. The hysterical demands for vengeance by English newspapers for example should be ignored.

He should be banned for remainder of world cup and be made to undergo treatment - and possibly a further match-based ban. But his career shouldn't be ended over this (which a two year ban for a 27 year old would do), especially as he's not going out breaking legs and he is a great talent.
Banning him for the remainder of the World Cup is minimum one game and maximum of four. Four games is not nearly enough considering he was banned for what, eleven games last time?

He should be banned from all soccer activities for at least one full season.

He also shouldn't be forced to complete treatment/therapy as that's not the way it works.
Old 25-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krull View Post
Dublin footballers have had 3 biting incidents in the last couple years. Wheres the outrage from the media about that?
If Dublin knocked England out of the World Cup there would be plenty of outrage from the English media.
Old 25-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Re. Suarez, agree with Dunphy on RTE this morning. Calls for 2 year bans and the like are completely disproportionate. He is still a great asset to the game. The hysterical demands for vengeance by English newspapers for example should be ignored.

He should be banned for remainder of world cup and be made to undergo treatment - and possibly a further match-based ban. But his career shouldn't be ended over this (which a two year ban for a 27 year old would do), especially as he's not going out breaking legs and he is a great talent.
This rubbish pisses me off no end...Most people don't go out breaking legs and are talented at their job...However they also don't go around fucking biting people!!!!
Old 25-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
Banning him for the remainder of the World Cup is minimum one game and maximum of four. Four games is not nearly enough considering he was banned for what, eleven games last time?

He should be banned from all soccer activities for at least one full season.
I did say "and possibly a further match-based ban" - need not be restricted to world cup. Quite a big jump from eleven games to a full season though. Do you not think you're over-reacting a tad? That's what 60 or so games, between EPL, other competitions including champions league and internationals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORKBHOY View Post
He also shouldn't be forced to complete treatment/therapy as that's not the way it works.
What do you mean that's not the way it works - people are forced to complete treatment all the time. If you're happy to sideline him for a season why would you protest to making him complete therapy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 league titles
This rubbish pisses me off no end...Most people don't go out breaking legs and are talented at their job...However they also don't go around fucking biting people!!!!
We're not comparing him to most people, we're comparing him to other delinquents. I'm saying that talk of one and two season bans is not appropriate for this type of behaviour, in comparison to say, behaviour involving going out to break someone's leg. If as a professional football player someone offered me the choice of 1) doing nothing to me, 2) biting my shoulder and 3) breaking me leg, after one I think I'd pick two. The hierarchy of punishment should reflect that logic, no?

And his talent does matter - they should not simply hang him out to dry; he brings wonderful things to the game and they would be right to try and salvage that. The way to do that is a mix of punishment and reform. Less of the old testament stuff.

Last edited by Hank Tree; 25-06-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Old 25-06-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I actually tend to agree up to a point. The lads below were as disgusting I think, and I don't know why people have such a base reaction to a bite, over a headbutt or a karate kick, they all come down to savagery.

However having done it 3 times, the book needs to be thrown.

Would like to see FIFA go to town on over the top divers as well and the Rivaldo dive still stands out for me as one of the most disgusting moments in any World Cup.

Old 25-06-2014, 11:12 AM

While the Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini reacted with horror after appearing to be bitten by the Uruguay striker Luis Suárez in their World Cup match, a handful of gamblers in Scandinavia were celebrating as their unlikely bet was paid out on.

The online bookmaker Betsafe had been offering odds of 175-1 that the Uruguayan, twice banned for biting, would sink his teeth into an opponent during the World Cup in Brazil. Sure enough, more than 100 gamblers decided that it was worth a punt. When Suárez seemingly did just that to Chiellini near the end of their Group D clash in Natal, it was time to celebrate.

One winner, Jonathan Braeck from Stenungssund in Sweden, bet 80 Swedish krona (£7) that Suárez would bite, and the 23-year-old substitute teacher is now set for a payout of 14,000 krona (£1,225) for his wager.

---------------------------------------
CMJ Print
https://www.facebook.com/Choc-A-Bloc...7028939951391/
Old 25-06-2014, 11:27 AM

166 punters in Norway have cashed in on a 175/1 bet with Online Bookies Betsson that Suarez would bite someone at the world cup.

Old 25-06-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube a Pringles View Post
166 punters in Norway have cashed in on a 175/1 bet with Online Bookies Betsson that Suarez would bite someone at the world cup.

Could have sworn I read about that somewhere before
Old 25-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpóirtFest View Post
I actually tend to agree up to a point. The lads below were as disgusting I think, and I don't know why people have such a base reaction to a bite, over a headbutt or a karate kick, they all come down to savagery.

However having done it 3 times, the book needs to be thrown.
It's arguably the bizarre nature of the biting offence(s), combined with Suarez's reputation which are driving the media frenzy (...and in turn are likely to see him get a heavier sentence).

If the core tenet around the severity of the punishment is based around the impact on the victim then it would be hard to rank a bite as more dangerous than some of the high profile world cup elbows, for example: Leonardo on Tab Ramos, Tassoti on Luis Enrique.

...and the talk of extending any ban to club football is agenda-driven giddiness.

Last edited by Philby; 25-06-2014 at 11:47 AM..