tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Garda Commissioner Resigns - Page 13 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Stephen Travers
‏ @MiamiShowband
2h2 hours ago

Before more Drew Harris cheerleaders jump on his bandwagon, please consider our bandwagon, then look me in the eyes and tell me that "a decent man" would apply for a Public Interest Immunity certificate to hide the files on Robin Jackson who I saw slaughtering The Miami Showband.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Senior PROC Member

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...oric-1.3553932
The reaction to the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner exposed the hollow rhetoric of those who most loudly proclaim their allegiance to the goal of a united Ireland.

By any yardstick, the appointment of the deputy chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to lead the Garda Síochána through a crucial process of reform is a step on the road to mutual understanding between the two traditions on this island.

The attempt by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald to undermine confidence in Harris immediately after the announcement of his appointment says a lot about her proclaimed adherence to the concept of inclusiveness and the kind of united Ireland her party wants to bring about.

It is decades since John Hume coined the maxim that the united Ireland he wanted was about people and not about territory, but it seems that Sinn Féin is still stuck in an obsession with borders and territory.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future. His father, also a highly respected policeman, was murdered by the IRA while Harris himself ordered the arrest of former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams during the investigation into the disappearance of Jean McConville.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future
What was striking in the Dáil last week was that McDonald was so out of step with the other parties. Fianna Fáil backed the appointment with party leader Micheál Martin supporting it without reservation as a positive step on the road to a comprehensive reform of the Garda.

Harris was chosen as the best candidate for the job by an independent assessment board and that choice was ratified by the Government and endorsed by the bulk of the Dáil
Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Senior PROC Member

Good news...well done Charlie

Minister refuses to delay Garda Commissioner’s appointment

Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has rejected a call for the appointment of new Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to be delayed until he addressed the concerns of families in a number of cases in the Troubles.

Mr Flanagan was responding to People Before Profit TD Bríd Smith who has raised concerns of the Relatives for Justice campaign group, the only survivor of the Miami Showband massacre Steven Travers and Eugene Reavey whose three brothers were killed by the Glennane gang.

This was a group of UVF, Ulster Defence Regiment and RUC officers allegedly involved in up to 120 killings between the 1970s and 1990s.

Ms Smith said that for the families “the appointment of Drew Harris is like sticking a knife in their backs”.

She also called for the Minister and Mr Harris to attend a commemoration this month to mark the 43rd anniversary of the showband massacre and to meet the families.

Ms Smith said that last year “after blocking the issuing of files for six years to families, Mr Harris was ordered to hand them over within 12 months”.

A number of them were handed over but she said Mr Harris refused to hand over two relating to the Glennane gang and the man known as the Jackal.

There could be a court case arising from this and a possibility that Mr Harris “may be arrested and brought before the courts in the North to give evidence there in a court case”.

But Mr Flanagan told her “I’m not going to comment on any court decision in Northern Ireland any more than I would comment on any court decision here”.

He said: “I won’t be delaying the appointment of Mr Drew Harris nor indeed will the Government”.

Mr Harris’s appointment was particularly significant because he is the first person to be appointed from outside the State since An Garda Síochána was founded almost 100 years ago.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM

So we have the likes of Gusty and Mad Duffs going on about SF refusing to move on from the past while continually referring to the past themselves.

Gotcha.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
Spot on - lad is worried more about pension entitlements, use of Garda facilities and cheap beer at the Garda clubs etc than national security.

In terms of serving Gardaí, the big issue with new appointee is will he be looking at current duty rostering and overtime budget!!
So he's likely to have more of an adverse affect on the serving Gardaí and is likely to upset their "cosy" setup? Foaming at the mouth you say?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...oric-1.3553932
The reaction to the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner exposed the hollow rhetoric of those who most loudly proclaim their allegiance to the goal of a united Ireland.

By any yardstick, the appointment of the deputy chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to lead the Garda Síochána through a crucial process of reform is a step on the road to mutual understanding between the two traditions on this island.

The attempt by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald to undermine confidence in Harris immediately after the announcement of his appointment says a lot about her proclaimed adherence to the concept of inclusiveness and the kind of united Ireland her party wants to bring about.

It is decades since John Hume coined the maxim that the united Ireland he wanted was about people and not about territory, but it seems that Sinn Féin is still stuck in an obsession with borders and territory.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future. His father, also a highly respected policeman, was murdered by the IRA while Harris himself ordered the arrest of former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams during the investigation into the disappearance of Jean McConville.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future
What was striking in the Dáil last week was that McDonald was so out of step with the other parties. Fianna Fáil backed the appointment with party leader Micheál Martin supporting it without reservation as a positive step on the road to a comprehensive reform of the Garda.

Harris was chosen as the best candidate for the job by an independent assessment board and that choice was ratified by the Government and endorsed by the bulk of the Dáil
We've had a President of this country who hailed from the North and I don't think anyone interested in a United Ireland has any issue with someone from the north getting an appointment in the 26 and/or 32 per se. The problem, as anyone with any clue about what's going on and isn't trying to make political capital out of it, is that Drew Harrison has a track record of not properly investigating British involvement in the killing of innocents across this island; he has been involved in the coverup of information that would help investigation of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings (amongst others); and he was also involved in the politically motivated arrest of Adams which subsequently came to naught.
I'd have no problem at all with someone from the north, or even the UK, being appointed to the head of the Gardaí as long as he/she didn't have a track record of using their position previously to confound the wheels of justice.

But of course that doesn't suit the agenda of those who want to try take another pop at Sinn Fein. After a while people start to wise up to such tactics.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
We've had a President of this country who hailed from the North and I don't think anyone interested in a United Ireland has any issue with someone from the north getting an appointment in the 26 and/or 32 per se. The problem, as anyone with any clue about what's going on and isn't trying to make political capital out of it, is that Drew Harrison has a track record of not properly investigating British involvement in the killing of innocents across this island; he has been involved in the coverup of information that would help investigation of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings (amongst others); and he was also involved in the politically motivated arrest of Adams which subsequently came to naught.
I'd have no problem at all with someone from the north, or even the UK, being appointed to the head of the Gardaí as long as he/she didn't have a track record of using their position previously to confound the wheels of justice.

But of course that doesn't suit the agenda of those who want to try take another pop at Sinn Fein. After a while people start to wise up to such tactics.
You should report him for perverting the course of justice and make known the conclusive evidence you clearly have in order to have arrived at such conclusions.

Otherwise people might think you're being somewhat subjective.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
You should report him for perverting the course of justice and make known the conclusive evidence you clearly have in order to have arrived at such conclusions.

Otherwise people might think you're being somewhat subjective.
Tell you , ask Stephen Travers who was shot and almost killed by the UDR and whose files are not been handed over by the PSNI. He'll tell you all you need to know. '
Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post

It's just an opinion piece, no need to get you knickers in a twist.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 PM

http://www.patfinucanecentre.org/hum...ourt-judgement