tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Garda Commissioner Resigns - Page 13 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM
blackie blackie is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,527
Default

Stephen Travers
‏ @MiamiShowband
2h2 hours ago

Before more Drew Harris cheerleaders jump on his bandwagon, please consider our bandwagon, then look me in the eyes and tell me that "a decent man" would apply for a Public Interest Immunity certificate to hide the files on Robin Jackson who I saw slaughtering The Miami Showband.
__________________
I will in my hoop
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 05-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Choice is yours Choice is yours is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,106
Default

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...oric-1.3553932
The reaction to the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner exposed the hollow rhetoric of those who most loudly proclaim their allegiance to the goal of a united Ireland.

By any yardstick, the appointment of the deputy chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to lead the Garda Síochána through a crucial process of reform is a step on the road to mutual understanding between the two traditions on this island.

The attempt by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald to undermine confidence in Harris immediately after the announcement of his appointment says a lot about her proclaimed adherence to the concept of inclusiveness and the kind of united Ireland her party wants to bring about.

It is decades since John Hume coined the maxim that the united Ireland he wanted was about people and not about territory, but it seems that Sinn Féin is still stuck in an obsession with borders and territory.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future. His father, also a highly respected policeman, was murdered by the IRA while Harris himself ordered the arrest of former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams during the investigation into the disappearance of Jean McConville.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future
What was striking in the Dáil last week was that McDonald was so out of step with the other parties. Fianna Fáil backed the appointment with party leader Micheál Martin supporting it without reservation as a positive step on the road to a comprehensive reform of the Garda.

Harris was chosen as the best candidate for the job by an independent assessment board and that choice was ratified by the Government and endorsed by the bulk of the Dáil
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Choice is yours Choice is yours is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,106
Default

Good news...well done Charlie

Minister refuses to delay Garda Commissioner’s appointment


Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan has rejected a call for the appointment of new Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to be delayed until he addressed the concerns of families in a number of cases in the Troubles.

Mr Flanagan was responding to People Before Profit TD Bríd Smith who has raised concerns of the Relatives for Justice campaign group, the only survivor of the Miami Showband massacre Steven Travers and Eugene Reavey whose three brothers were killed by the Glennane gang.

This was a group of UVF, Ulster Defence Regiment and RUC officers allegedly involved in up to 120 killings between the 1970s and 1990s.

Ms Smith said that for the families “the appointment of Drew Harris is like sticking a knife in their backs”.

She also called for the Minister and Mr Harris to attend a commemoration this month to mark the 43rd anniversary of the showband massacre and to meet the families.

Ms Smith said that last year “after blocking the issuing of files for six years to families, Mr Harris was ordered to hand them over within 12 months”.

A number of them were handed over but she said Mr Harris refused to hand over two relating to the Glennane gang and the man known as the Jackal.

There could be a court case arising from this and a possibility that Mr Harris “may be arrested and brought before the courts in the North to give evidence there in a court case”.

But Mr Flanagan told her “I’m not going to comment on any court decision in Northern Ireland any more than I would comment on any court decision here”.

He said: “I won’t be delaying the appointment of Mr Drew Harris nor indeed will the Government”.

Mr Harris’s appointment was particularly significant because he is the first person to be appointed from outside the State since An Garda Síochána was founded almost 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM
ocides ocides is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,699
Default

So we have the likes of Gusty and Mad Duffs going on about SF refusing to move on from the past while continually referring to the past themselves.

Gotcha.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel CNC View Post
Spot on - lad is worried more about pension entitlements, use of Garda facilities and cheap beer at the Garda clubs etc than national security.

In terms of serving Gardaí, the big issue with new appointee is will he be looking at current duty rostering and overtime budget!!
So he's likely to have more of an adverse affect on the serving Gardaí and is likely to upset their "cosy" setup? Foaming at the mouth you say?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 09-07-2018, 12:26 PM
SoundMan SoundMan is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice is yours View Post
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/s...oric-1.3553932
The reaction to the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner exposed the hollow rhetoric of those who most loudly proclaim their allegiance to the goal of a united Ireland.

By any yardstick, the appointment of the deputy chief constable of the Police Service of Northern Ireland to lead the Garda Síochána through a crucial process of reform is a step on the road to mutual understanding between the two traditions on this island.

The attempt by Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald to undermine confidence in Harris immediately after the announcement of his appointment says a lot about her proclaimed adherence to the concept of inclusiveness and the kind of united Ireland her party wants to bring about.

It is decades since John Hume coined the maxim that the united Ireland he wanted was about people and not about territory, but it seems that Sinn Féin is still stuck in an obsession with borders and territory.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future. His father, also a highly respected policeman, was murdered by the IRA while Harris himself ordered the arrest of former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams during the investigation into the disappearance of Jean McConville.

The Harris appointment is certainly a challenge to the old-fashioned republican view of this island’s future
What was striking in the Dáil last week was that McDonald was so out of step with the other parties. Fianna Fáil backed the appointment with party leader Micheál Martin supporting it without reservation as a positive step on the road to a comprehensive reform of the Garda.

Harris was chosen as the best candidate for the job by an independent assessment board and that choice was ratified by the Government and endorsed by the bulk of the Dáil
We've had a President of this country who hailed from the North and I don't think anyone interested in a United Ireland has any issue with someone from the north getting an appointment in the 26 and/or 32 per se. The problem, as anyone with any clue about what's going on and isn't trying to make political capital out of it, is that Drew Harrison has a track record of not properly investigating British involvement in the killing of innocents across this island; he has been involved in the coverup of information that would help investigation of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings (amongst others); and he was also involved in the politically motivated arrest of Adams which subsequently came to naught.
I'd have no problem at all with someone from the north, or even the UK, being appointed to the head of the Gardaí as long as he/she didn't have a track record of using their position previously to confound the wheels of justice.

But of course that doesn't suit the agenda of those who want to try take another pop at Sinn Fein. After a while people start to wise up to such tactics.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM
johnmcork johnmcork is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
We've had a President of this country who hailed from the North and I don't think anyone interested in a United Ireland has any issue with someone from the north getting an appointment in the 26 and/or 32 per se. The problem, as anyone with any clue about what's going on and isn't trying to make political capital out of it, is that Drew Harrison has a track record of not properly investigating British involvement in the killing of innocents across this island; he has been involved in the coverup of information that would help investigation of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings (amongst others); and he was also involved in the politically motivated arrest of Adams which subsequently came to naught.
I'd have no problem at all with someone from the north, or even the UK, being appointed to the head of the Gardaí as long as he/she didn't have a track record of using their position previously to confound the wheels of justice.

But of course that doesn't suit the agenda of those who want to try take another pop at Sinn Fein. After a while people start to wise up to such tactics.
You should report him for perverting the course of justice and make known the conclusive evidence you clearly have in order to have arrived at such conclusions.

Otherwise people might think you're being somewhat subjective.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 09-07-2018, 05:20 PM
blackie blackie is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcork View Post
You should report him for perverting the course of justice and make known the conclusive evidence you clearly have in order to have arrived at such conclusions.

Otherwise people might think you're being somewhat subjective.
Tell you , ask Stephen Travers who was shot and almost killed by the UDR and whose files are not been handed over by the PSNI. He'll tell you all you need to know. '
__________________
I will in my hoop
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 09-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Choice is yours Choice is yours is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundMan View Post
We've had a President of this country who hailed from the North and I don't think anyone interested in a United Ireland has any issue with someone from the north getting an appointment in the 26 and/or 32 per se. The problem, as anyone with any clue about what's going on and isn't trying to make political capital out of it, is that Drew Harrison has a track record of not properly investigating British involvement in the killing of innocents across this island; he has been involved in the coverup of information that would help investigation of the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings (amongst others); and he was also involved in the politically motivated arrest of Adams which subsequently came to naught.
I'd have no problem at all with someone from the north, or even the UK, being appointed to the head of the Gardaí as long as he/she didn't have a track record of using their position previously to confound the wheels of justice.

But of course that doesn't suit the agenda of those who want to try take another pop at Sinn Fein. After a while people start to wise up to such tactics.
It's just an opinion piece, no need to get you knickers in a twist.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 09-07-2018, 09:50 PM
blackie blackie is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,527
Default

http://www.patfinucanecentre.org/hum...ourt-judgement
__________________
I will in my hoop
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



More events ▼






tester
All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.