Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Tech Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Default Daisychaining routers

Not in a sexual way, like.

We have three routers in the gaff now, two of which are only alright, as well as a big long load of an ethernet cable.

What would be involved in daisychaining one or other of the other ones from the one that's actually plugged into the DSL line? Pretty much just as signal boosters down to the far end of the house? Would we end up with two wireless networks back to back off the one connection, or would the secondary router (which is one of Perlico's shit-o-modems) just be accessible through ethernet? Could it be as simple as just turning bridging on and connecting one up the back to the one in the main room with the long cable?

Could it?

It probably couldn't. All advice and abuse gratefully accepted.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:05 PM

sure you can do it, all you do is connect the wan port from router 2 to lan port of router 1 - then the wan from router 3 to the lan of router 2

what you are doing is adding in extra layers of NAT, which will work, but a little messy.

you could connect wirelessly to any router if you wish

i assume the problem is how to physically connect the routers.

the description about is assuming you are doign all of this wired,

but, if you want to do it wirelessly, it get a little more tricky.

first router #2 & #3 havr to support wirerless bridging or repeating (check spec)

if they do, then your in luck, bridging woudl probably be thwe easiest, all you havr tyo do is enable bridging on the router and enter the same ssid / channel / encrypotion (only wep I'd say) on router #2 & #3 - and enter mac address detaisl on either end of the bridge.

once connected the bridge will be wireless, yet produce you wired connections on the router 2 & 3 for your other devices.

its a little tricky to get right...

before trying anything, check you hardware can support wireless bridging, if it cant then all you can do is do it wired as above.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:26 PM

Joey, you're a one-man tech forum. Nice one.

Wired, I think. I might chance wireless but if it's as dodgy as you claim I might not be able for it.
Old 24-11-2008, 05:33 PM

heres how its done with netgear kit:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101503.asp#