tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Aston Villa Thread - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Philby Philby is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20,222
Default

"If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool" - Houllier
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Lapsy Pa Lapsy Pa is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
"If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool" - Houllier
http://ie.yahoo.com/_ylt=ApgT0kC89zf...-comments.html
__________________
"Maybe if we were a cynical team somebody would have pulled your man down but I suppose that is not in our DNA." Jack O'Connor

48-0
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 14-12-2010, 05:12 PM
BBJ BBJ is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The town of the hurdled ford
Posts: 2,920
Default

Today I got to speak to Paul McGrath.
I'll be hanging up my calculator early in the New Year and today the company gave me the official "send off".
In the "goody bag" they gave me was a copy of "Back From the Brink" signed by the great man himself.
Then about an hour later, I got a phone call from him, the purpose of which was to wish me a happy retirement! He was very warm, very natural, very sincere. I told him of the high esteem and affection in which he is held by all Villa fans. He expressed a little concern about how things hadn't been going so well recently but he was positive that things would get better.
Obviously someone at work had arranged it but doesn't it say something about the inherent decency of the man that he would even entertain doing something like that for someone he has never even met?
As we all know, he has his demons and struggles mightily but I for one hope he will win out in the end.
Oooh Aaah...
Hats off to a Villa legend.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 14-12-2010, 05:22 PM
STEVIEG STEVIEG is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 42,861
Default

Great stuff man and congrats and best of luck with the future!

Paul was one of my heroes growing up in the early 80's and i'll never forget the early years at United and the joy he later gave me for Ireland too
Remains my favourite Ireland player of all time

Met him many years ago too and he is truly a decent man

Great gesture by the great man!
__________________
Free mixes downloads
http://djstevieg.podomatic.com
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 14-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Philby Philby is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20,222
Default

Lovely story, he'll have a lot of people behind him but his road will be a tough one.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 14-12-2010, 08:26 PM
kevinbitzz kevinbitzz is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: West Along.
Posts: 24,213
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
Today I got to speak to Paul McGrath.
I'll be hanging up my calculator early in the New Year and today the company gave me the official "send off".
In the "goody bag" they gave me was a copy of "Back From the Brink" signed by the great man himself.
Then about an hour later, I got a phone call from him, the purpose of which was to wish me a happy retirement! He was very warm, very natural, very sincere. I told him of the high esteem and affection in which he is held by all Villa fans. He expressed a little concern about how things hadn't been going so well recently but he was positive that things would get better.
Obviously someone at work had arranged it but doesn't it say something about the inherent decency of the man that he would even entertain doing something like that for someone he has never even met?
As we all know, he has his demons and struggles mightily but I for one hope he will win out in the end.
Oooh Aaah...
Hats off to a Villa legend.

Great Stuff....
__________________
"Will there ever be a boy born that can swim faster than a shark?"
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15-12-2010, 09:42 AM
BBJ BBJ is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The town of the hurdled ford
Posts: 2,920
Default

I've learned a bit more about how yesterday came about. My boss organised it. He found out where PMG lived and wrote to him, asking if he'd sign a couple of books for me. In his response, it was PMG who offered to make the phone call, ie he wasn't asked, he volunteered! I'm very impressed - and just a bit humbled.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Jinky Jinky is offline
Senior PROC Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15,186
Default

You don't get to make the amount of mistakes McGrath has made without having something in your locker and the guy is a pure gent.
__________________
Hey. Where the fuck are my hard boiled eggs?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15-12-2010, 05:32 PM
BostonRebel BostonRebel is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sportstown, USA
Posts: 1,898
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
I've learned a bit more about how yesterday came about. My boss organised it. He found out where PMG lived and wrote to him, asking if he'd sign a couple of books for me. In his response, it was PMG who offered to make the phone call, ie he wasn't asked, he volunteered! I'm very impressed - and just a bit humbled.
That's fantastic stuff all right. He was always one of my favourite players too (even when at United..) and sounds like a gent as well.
__________________
Have a shufty at this
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 28-12-2010, 09:47 PM
BBJ BBJ is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The town of the hurdled ford
Posts: 2,920
Default

Oh dear oh dear oh dear....
I forecast we'd have a season of midtable mediocrity.
If only...
A battle with relegation looms!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All forum comments are the sole responsibility and property of forum users. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors disclaim all liability for content posted by users of the forum. PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com and its sponsors do not necessarily share the views expressed in this forum. Use the report post system to have comments considered for edit or deletion. All users are IP logged. Website hosted by Hostrocket USA.