tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Aston Villa Thread - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM

"If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool" - Houllier
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
"If I have got to lose 3-0, I would prefer it to be to them as I like Liverpool" - Houllier
http://ie.yahoo.com/_ylt=ApgT0kC89zf...-comments.html

48-0
Old 14-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Today I got to speak to Paul McGrath.
I'll be hanging up my calculator early in the New Year and today the company gave me the official "send off".
In the "goody bag" they gave me was a copy of "Back From the Brink" signed by the great man himself.
Then about an hour later, I got a phone call from him, the purpose of which was to wish me a happy retirement! He was very warm, very natural, very sincere. I told him of the high esteem and affection in which he is held by all Villa fans. He expressed a little concern about how things hadn't been going so well recently but he was positive that things would get better.
Obviously someone at work had arranged it but doesn't it say something about the inherent decency of the man that he would even entertain doing something like that for someone he has never even met?
As we all know, he has his demons and struggles mightily but I for one hope he will win out in the end.
Oooh Aaah...
Hats off to a Villa legend.
Old 14-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Great stuff man and congrats and best of luck with the future!

Paul was one of my heroes growing up in the early 80's and i'll never forget the early years at United and the joy he later gave me for Ireland too
Remains my favourite Ireland player of all time

Met him many years ago too and he is truly a decent man

Great gesture by the great man!
Old 14-12-2010, 06:37 PM

Lovely story, he'll have a lot of people behind him but his road will be a tough one.
Old 14-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior PROC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
Today I got to speak to Paul McGrath.
I'll be hanging up my calculator early in the New Year and today the company gave me the official "send off".
In the "goody bag" they gave me was a copy of "Back From the Brink" signed by the great man himself.
Then about an hour later, I got a phone call from him, the purpose of which was to wish me a happy retirement! He was very warm, very natural, very sincere. I told him of the high esteem and affection in which he is held by all Villa fans. He expressed a little concern about how things hadn't been going so well recently but he was positive that things would get better.
Obviously someone at work had arranged it but doesn't it say something about the inherent decency of the man that he would even entertain doing something like that for someone he has never even met?
As we all know, he has his demons and struggles mightily but I for one hope he will win out in the end.
Oooh Aaah...
Hats off to a Villa legend.

Great Stuff....
Old 15-12-2010, 09:42 AM

I've learned a bit more about how yesterday came about. My boss organised it. He found out where PMG lived and wrote to him, asking if he'd sign a couple of books for me. In his response, it was PMG who offered to make the phone call, ie he wasn't asked, he volunteered! I'm very impressed - and just a bit humbled.
Old 15-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Senior PROC Member

You don't get to make the amount of mistakes McGrath has made without having something in your locker and the guy is a pure gent.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ View Post
I've learned a bit more about how yesterday came about. My boss organised it. He found out where PMG lived and wrote to him, asking if he'd sign a couple of books for me. In his response, it was PMG who offered to make the phone call, ie he wasn't asked, he volunteered! I'm very impressed - and just a bit humbled.
That's fantastic stuff all right. He was always one of my favourite players too (even when at United..) and sounds like a gent as well.
Old 28-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Oh dear oh dear oh dear....
I forecast we'd have a season of midtable mediocrity.
If only...
A battle with relegation looms!