tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Training Run Times - Page 501 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 13-09-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackpoolTerrier View Post
Thought the late lamented Samarkand was our fastest?
Ah of all the fellas to ask, you can't be using 5ks as a measuring stick. He's left us anyway hasn't he?
No the marathon is the perfect distance to test mind and body. I'm waiting till I'm in my 40s to take your title, just to make it fair
Old 14-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Senior PROC Member

Can't remember Samarks times. At the end of the year we can do a chart of say 5 k to eh, 160k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and compare "speed" then.

Did a decent old 8k in training t'other day. Came in at 31.27 or something - in the middle of a 13k spin. Was surprised to tell ya the truth. 3 days after a 33k run.

Carta, are you still on for a Marathon or two then this fall?

No comment.
Old 14-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmona View Post
Did a decent old 8k in training t'other day. Came in at 31.27 or something - in the middle of a 13k spin. Was surprised to tell ya the truth.
Jaysus C., you're flying.
Old 14-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Senior PROC Member

You should have seen me yesterday Terrier. Did the woods run I kinda brought you on. Crawled around for a whopping 10k. I'll admit to being surprised by the pace of the 8k bit. Was planning on 4min kms. Said I'd do the Speedy run as I hadn't done one the previous week and I think there is a place for some faster ks. I do agree with you though on the importance of MP kilometres in your long runs. I hope to do a 16k easy/16k MP (making a total of, eh, 32k) before the big day. What do ya think of that as a session?

Have had to register for the Oct 14th marathon. I might be a tiny bit under-cooked but I am fairly happy with the form at the moment.

No comment.
Old 14-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Dumpland View Post
CLF and midletonman, that’s a nice spin for the Rebel Tour. Some epic scenery in fairness. The loop from Kenmare over Healy and Caha and back to Kenmare was the cycle for the half ironman last week. If you haven’t done it before the climbs on both are pretty tough. I found the Healy harder as there are a couple of sections that are seriously steep but the Caha I think was longer overall. Some brilliant views though and well worth the climb. The descent from Healy contains an awful amount of hairpins so do take care on it. One of the lads came off on Saturday and looked to have taken a bad tumble. Best of luck with it. I’ll be honest and admit I’m glad I don’t have it ahead of me again this weekend!
Yeah, doing this tommorow. Lazy enough this year, so this will be my longest spin of the year but very familiar with the course as I do both loops regularly. Caha is gradual enough, as is Healy except for last little bit. Nice Alpine feel to both of those on a sunny day. Couple of toughish short climbs between Allihies and Eyeries, and the long drag between Adrigole and Glengariff near the end but no Seskin Hill type climbs. Be a nice day out anyway in the most beautiful place in the world (when the sun shines).
Old 14-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
Yeah, doing this tommorow. Lazy enough this year, so this will be my longest spin of the year but very familiar with the course as I do both loops regularly. Caha is gradual enough, as is Healy except for last little bit. Nice Alpine feel to both of those on a sunny day. Couple of toughish short climbs between Allihies and Eyeries, and the long drag between Adrigole and Glengariff near the end but no Seskin Hill type climbs. Be a nice day out anyway in the most beautiful place in the world (when the sun shines).
You'll have a strong westerly breeze so the last piece of the Healy will be good craic. However, it will be a nice boost on the run in from Adrigole

Enjoy it CLF!
Old 14-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Did a decent old 8k in training t'other day. Came in at 31.27 or something - in the middle of a 13k spin. Was surprised to tell ya the truth.
Feckin 'ell that's some going for a training run. I'll have to go on de 'ol vino!
Old 14-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You should have seen me yesterday Terrier. Did the woods run I kinda brought you on. Crawled around for a whopping 10k. I'll admit to being surprised by the pace of the 8k bit. Was planning on 4min kms. Said I'd do the Speedy run as I hadn't done one the previous week and I think there is a place for some faster ks. I do agree with you though on the importance of MP kilometres in your long runs. I hope to do a 16k easy/16k MP (making a total of, eh, 32k) before the big day. What do ya think of that as a session?

Have had to register for the Oct 14th marathon. I might be a tiny bit under-cooked but I am fairly happy with the form at the moment.
MP training is absolutely necessary and you certainly need it to get used to the pace. However, 8k at that pace is an LT run.

LT has its place in the program too so no worries there but if you set out to run MP then you need to cool the jets until you drop to marathon pace. There's no point in patting yourself on the back for how fast you are but having no MP practice done. I usually find it quite hard to hit that sweet spot in training. Don't get me wrong, that's a feckin' serious workout you did but you need the MP too.

IMO you're a fast runner C., and have no issues with pace. The challenge in going for the 42.2 is stamina. In fairness it applies to us all. We can all do a short fast run or a long long slower run. It's getting that mid-point is what needs to be practised.

Be careful though - even though it's "only" MP it still tires you out and strains the legs. I reckon it's important to use MP runs advisedly and don't be afraid to do workouts like

2 easy, 2MP, 1 easy, 4MP, 1 easy, 2MP, 2 easy
OR
2 easy, 4MP, 2 easy, 4mp, 2 easy.

That said I definitely think you need one big MP workout in the month before the race - ideally 3 or 4 weeks out. In my case I'm hoping to get that at Cork-Cobh.
Old 14-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Senior PROC Member

Yeah, I did the last 11k of last Sunday's 33k run at MP. First two of those were 5 or 6 seconds over and I thought I was going to struggle to really hit the pace. The last 9 were a bit under though so was very happy.

Will try a couple of those that you mention there between now and the big day. What's the furthest you go at MP in training?

No comment.
Old 14-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I did the last 11k of last Sunday's 33k run at MP. First two of those were 5 or 6 seconds over and I thought I was going to struggle to really hit the pace. The last 9 were a bit under though so was very happy.

Will try a couple of those that you mention there between now and the big day. What's the furthest you go at MP in training?
Yeah that 11k stretch seems fine. How much do I do? No more than 10k consecutively or no more than 12 or 13 in a session (split among easy rests)