tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Nollaig appreciation thread. - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 25-04-2010, 08:13 PM

The best thing about Nollaig is that he plays exactly how the real supporters of this team would if they got the jersey themselves. Down to dalking that bollox Galvin.

Nollaig we salute you,you more than anyone deserve to be playing when we finally get there
Old 26-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an liathroid beag View Post
The tree surgeon got the score of the game today----and he is even behaving himself these days and Galvin is looming on the horizon!
Galvin must be shitting himself.
Old 26-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCork80 View Post
The best thing about Nollaig is that he plays exactly how the real supporters of this team would if they got the jersey themselves. Down to dalking that bollox Galvin.

Nollaig we salute you,you more than anyone deserve to be playing when we finally get there
Unlike players from a certain team Noelie shows that you can show your passion for the jersey without kissing your badge and playing up to the cameras.Im sure you all can guess what team im talking about.
Old 26-04-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youghal Exile View Post
Unlike players from a certain team Noelie shows that you can show your passion for the jersey without kissing your badge and playing up to the cameras.Im sure you all can guess what team im talking about.
Is is Liverpool Youghally ?

'Steve Gerrard, Gerrard, He kisses the badge on his vest, then hands in a transfer request, Steve Gerrard, Gerrard'
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Senior PROC Member

Rock 'n' soul rebel
The Kerry defeat could have KO'd lesser teams, but Cork decided to box clever and come back even better
Kieran Shannon

Sting like a bee: Noel O'Leary and his Cork teammates have used boxing training to help them stay in shape for the physical battles ahead LAST winter when Conor Counihan was thinking of some way to get his troops back off the canvas from another Kerry haymaker, one of his first ports of call was Noel O'Leary.

Counihan would have known that if any member of the Cork team knew how to take one of life's punches and still get back up and fight on, it was O'Leary. In 2000, the same year he won an All Ireland minor final, he lost his best friend, his closest cousin and his brother – the last two to suicide. Counihan was also aware that O'Leary and Michael Shields had passed their previous few winters working out in the Rylane boxing club, where O'Leary and his brothers had spent a good deal of their youth. Would it be good for the rest of the lads if they all went down there too? O'Leary told Counihan it would be ideal. It would ease lads back onto the saddle while throwing them into the deep end too.

So twice a week for two months they'd all go down there, to this little gym, O'Leary says, "which would hardly be the size of your kitchen". There were no showers; just some punchbags, weights, four ropes and the truth. Two days after Christmas they all took part in a fight night in the Rochestown Park Hotel. It was a night that raised some laughs, some money for charity and buried a few myths and demons too.

"After the All Ireland and the whole [Tadhg] Kennelly thing," says O'Leary, "you'd hear clowns around the place saying 'Jesus, them lads have no heart. None of them jumped into save Nicky [Nicholas Murphy].' But what those lads showed the night of the boxing, you have to be a very brave man to step into a ring. You've no place to hide."

O'Leary feels the whole Kennelly incident was overblown. "People forget, we were 1-3 to a point up early on in that game. Nicky was the man who played the ball in for Colm O'Neill's goal." The moment that stuck in his claw was early into the second half when Tomás Ó Sé pulled down Graham Canty, fell over him, and then as Canty was trying to get back up, Ó Sé made a point of falling over him again. That, O'Leary feels, was the point when some Corkman should have steamed in and made a statement that Cork weren't going to be bullied or pricked around, just like when Pearse O'Neill stood up to Darragh Ó Sé in the 2008 Munster final. But last September O'Neill had his own battles. "By stopping Pearse going down the middle, they [Kerry] almost took the soul out of our team."

Soul is a word that resonates with and from O'Leary. Ask him if his head was spinning with doubt in that second half last September and he'll tell you he was still sure Cork were going to win. "We got back to within a point. It was plain to see the next score was going to take either team over the line. If we'd got it, I'm convinced we'd have blown them out of the gate. But we didn't get it." O'Leary winces and uses that word again. "Soul destroying."

It was the fifth straight year O'Leary's summer had ended in defeat in Croke Park to the old enemy but instead of being something all too familiar, this one hurt far more. For the first time they entered Croke Park truly believing they weren't just equal to Kerry but better than them.

"If you were to ask every player in that dressing room after, 'Lads, ye have to play Kerry tomorrow morning at seven o'clock here again', you'd be guaranteed every man would be there to redeem himself. Lads just knew that we fecked it away.

"The next week, the next month, was pure dejection. But you could just tell by lads that they all wanted to get back as soon as possible and go at it again. I can still see Nicholas Murphy those few days. Hardly a word out of him but the eyes said it all. There's a huge focus there now. It's actually ridiculous. It's ridiculous! But it's good too though. Over the years deep down you were always wondering if you were good enough. Now we know we're good enough to get there. We have to get there. We have to f***ing win it. You can bloody visualise it, taste it, whereas before you'd only be dreaming of it."

Billy Morgan had long recognised Cork would need to bulk up but Counihan has taken it to another level again. Before, weights were optional. Now they're mandatory, at least twice a week. There's a lot of Cody in Counihan. If you're not producing it in training, you don't get to play. More than once O'Leary has declined going to the cinema with the girlfriend because he's felt the need to rest up for the following night's match in training. One bad night in there and you could be off the team. He lists off players who could easily fit into his number five jersey: Canty, Lynch, Cadogan, Miskella, O'Regan, Spillane, Shields, Kissane, Aidan Walsh… The list goes on.

He thought he'd lost that jersey for good last summer. In the Munster semi-final replay he and his old friend Paul Galvin got entangled once more. Pat McEnaney promptly pointed to the line and O'Leary feared that Counihan would say enough was enough too. And strange as it may seem, the one person O'Leary felt understood his predicament and the one person's predicament he totally empathised with was one Mr Galvin.

"I've never really mixed with the man off the field. On the field I suppose we can be a lot alike, with that bit of aggression. You don't want that taken out of you but at the same time we can't be doing things like we did that night. Jesus, it was a nerve-wracking time the few weeks after that, I can tell you. I'd say it was the same for Galvin. I'm sure he thought his manager mightn't want him anymore, that he wasn't worth the hassle. I know I was and it wasn't a nice place to be. I owe Counihan a lot in that sense. He gave me the chance to redeem myself."

He still feels uneasy at the circumstances in which Counihan got the job though. In November 2007, the Cork County Board appointed Teddy Holland team manager and Diarmuid O'Donovan as one of his selectors. Holland and O'Donovan had been mentors when O'Leary won his All Ireland minor medal in 2000. O'Donovan had remained a friend thereafter and the year the footballers went on strike O'Donovan had coached O'Leary's club, Cill na Martra.

"That's one thing I really regret, that I never had a chat with Diarmuid and explained just why we felt they shouldn't have taken the job until our dispute with the board had been sorted. I don't actually know if we've fallen out because we haven't met since but I can imagine and understand if I'm not flavour of the month with him. To be honest I probably couldn't face him walking down the street."

He hopes some day that he will. Life's tough enough knowing you'll never be able to see your brother again. This year will be the 10th anniversary of Ciaran's passing. He was just 17. "But look," says O'Leary, "there's something happening all the time." A couple of months ago his friend Mick Dineen was killed. He was in the same business as O'Leary – cutting trees. O'Leary's job involves climbing them. Mick's was cutting them down. The day before they were to do a job together, Mick was working on another with O'Leary's brother, Colm.

"What happened only Colm's machine breaks down and he's at the garage all day. So Mick was there, working on this tree by himself. Now this lad was the Graham Canty of the chainsaw world; red hot, safe; everything about him, 100 percent. But he was doing windblow, trees that have been blown over by the wind and are all bending and crossing each other, causing massive pressure. Six o'clock, Colm came back, looked into Mick's van and sure his lunchbox was still inside. The fecking tree was after coming up and hitting him straight in the chest. He was only 40 and looked 30. Didn't drink. Cycled. Was fitter than me."

O'Leary's job is dangerous but it's all about being prepared and having the energy and your wits about you. Being up on those trees is where he feels he belongs and being up in Croke Park is somewhere he likes being too. The last day there though was surreal, subdued.

"Canty was telling us it would be a massive thing for us to win a national title. But afterwards it was no bigger buzz than beating Monaghan in the Division Two final last year. We didn't even play that great but we never got the kick up the backside to make us have to go up a few gears. The real value of the league wasn't the Mayo game at all but the games through the league. That's how Mayo should look at it too. I know we've already parked that day anyway. Moved on."

They're back off the canvas. Finished with the shadow boxing. Craving another shot at the title.

Shooting Stars, Jimmy Barry-Murphy

Ex-Cork footballer & hurler

Favourite championship memory?

Tadhg Murphy's goal for Cork against Kerry in the 1983 Munster final. It broke Kerry's grip – they'd won the previous eight finals – and was very sweet for those of us who'd lived through the period. I was on the open side in Páirc Uí Chaoimh in the lashing rain, my football days done, but I didn't care.

This year's champions?

Cork. This is their strongest panel for years and I think Conor Counihan's biggest problem will be deciding on his best 15. The Croke Park issue is a worry but Cork have plenty of young players accustomed to success against Kerry. They have no inhibitions. That could be the key.

kshannon@tribune.ie
May 9, 2010
Old 23-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior PROC Member

Nice Photo in the Sun Times today of Galvin tackling a Tipperary player while "accidently" hitting him in the balls --caught in the act by the camera--Nollaig will have to wear extra good protection in Killarney!
Old 24-05-2010, 07:31 AM

Ah yerra but he's more sinned against than sinning, yerra
Old 24-05-2010, 02:02 PM

Lads there's no need to Worry.Noelie will put Mr Galvin back in his box yet again on June 6th.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Senior PROC Member

Yes Nollaig---I think that the wait for that medal is almost over!
Old 19-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior PROC Member

Yes Nollaig--that wait is over---you above all have won over adversity and have earned that medal---Corcaig Abu!