Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > The Langers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Sounds about right.

Too busy having demos in support of trans Palestinians to be getting locked.
If the lecturer has been a crossdresser would there be the same reaction?

I have to laugh when I see UCC SU being all Liberal and supporting freedom and all these causes.

When I was in UCC we were deprived of seeing the world famous historian David Irving because the SU kicked up a fuss.

The funny thing was instead of speaking in UCC to a few hundred people he went on the Late Late instead and spoke to the country
Old 06-02-2019, 07:16 PM

does anyone proof read articles anymore. falling over themselves to get the story out there at the expense of a 5 minute scan.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
If the lecturer has been a crossdresser would there be the same reaction?

I have to laugh when I see UCC SU being all Liberal and supporting freedom and all these causes.

When I was in UCC we were deprived of seeing the world famous historian David Irving because the SU kicked up a fuss.

The funny thing was instead of speaking in UCC to a few hundred people he went on the Late Late instead and spoke to the country
The SU kicked up a fuss? I'd check the record there if I were you!

And presumably you mean the world famous distorter of the historical facts? You could try reading Richard Evans' excellent book on Irving Lying About Hitler
Old 06-02-2019, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloblock View Post
The SU kicked up a fuss? I'd check the record there if I were you!

And presumably you mean the world famous distorter of the historical facts? You could try reading Richard Evans' excellent book on Irving Lying About Hitler

Who kicked up a fuss then? I'm just going off my memory of it at the time. He certainly was prevented from speaking.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Who kicked up a fuss then? I'm just going off my memory of it at the time. He certainly was prevented from speaking.
He was prevented (if memory serves) on three separate occasions, the first in the early 90s. But to my knowledge the SU never campaigned against the invitations to him.

And he was opposed because he was a liar and a self-described fascist, as I recall.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

Same shower of crusty pricks protested against Henry Kissinger and George Galloway too
Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Banned

A fucking joke that a lecturer can’t go for a few pints without generation snowflake being insulted
Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big in Ballyvolane View Post
Same shower of crusty pricks protested against Henry Kissinger and George Galloway too
The same people? Are you sure? I wouldn't have thought Galloway would have attracted the same opponents as Irving.

I recall the Examiner having a right cut off Kissinger
Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM
Senior PROC Member

Quote:
In 2008 he was cancelled on security grounds, he was invited by the debating society for a debate on freedom of speech. The college asked them to take it to a venue off campus
Old 06-02-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Doily View Post
Yea lousy on the lecturer, he seems to have a problem. They could have more sympaty for him
I understand twas a she....
student rep writing in indignant tones of the shocking incident... not a hint of tongue in cheek

Unacceptable alright and if she was in ‘the real world ‘ she’d have been flicked in under two minutes
No doubt the (unfortunate) person would be well advised to get a good excuse and to stay out (on full pay) for a bit