tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Wanted derilict houses to document for Art Project - Page 2 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 26-02-2008, 10:58 PM

I'll dig them up, I'm so busy at the moment that that might be hard enough to do with the time constraints.
Quote:
upstairs in a box there was some old mechanical booklets and some really cool old hand painted architectural plans.
plans of buildings that were ment to be build ON the river lee, dating back from the 60's/70's very retro!
Damn that was the most amazing find ever, I'm really envious, I'd love to have found them! Great find there. Would you consider donating them to the library? I'd do some research about who to give them to first though to make sure that the 'interested' public might have access to them. Congrats on that find, the builders might have just trashed them.

By that I think you did some good work there as there is extremely little info that I could find on the place. It seems like this is a lost heritage which is being ignored and is invaluable. It should be recorded for the benefit and learning of future inquisitive generations such as ourselves.

PS: St Annes, the red brick across the way looks like it is closed and not yet under 'renovation', could be worth a look and a recording for any other potential photographic recorders. Gonna take a look there myself for some records and suchlike to potentially preserve the place and the history.

I'll get my photos up for you as soon as possible, I used a Black and White theme and tried to capture the gothic / Catholic contrast of the imposing authority / decay of the building with nature and a couple of shots of my young nieces posing accusingly: (lost childhood) to try and portray a subtle message of lost childhood by authoritarian control. Tis open to interpretation though I feel it goes deeper than that personally.
Photographic essays are very subjective and hard to do without overexaggerating / underexagerating the subject. If you can capture the middle point that makes people wonder then I guess it is a success.

Last edited by VirtualLab; 26-02-2008 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLab View Post
I'll dig them up, I'm so busy at the moment that that might be hard enough to do with the time constraints.

Damn that was the most amazing find ever, I'm really envious, I'd love to have found them! Great find there. Would you consider donating them to the library? I'd do some research about who to give them to first though to make sure that the 'interested' public might have access to them. Congrats on that find, the builders might have just trashed them.

By that I think you did some good work there as there is extremely little info that I could find on the place. It seems like this is a lost heritage which is being ignored and is invaluable. It should be recorded for the benefit and learning of future inquisitive generations such as ourselves.

PS: St Annes, the red brick across the way looks like it is closed and not yet under 'renovation', could be worth a look and a recording for any other potential photographic recorders. Gonna take a look there myself for some records and suchlike to potentially preserve the place and the history.

I'll get my photos up for you as soon as possible, I used a Black and White theme and tried to capture the gothic / Catholic contrast of the imposing authority / decay of the building with nature and a couple of shots of my young nieces posing accusingly: (lost childhood) to try and portray a subtle message of lost childhood by authoritarian control. Tis open to interpretation though I feel it goes deeper than that personally.
Photographic essays are very subjective and hard to do without overexaggerating / underexagerating the subject. If you can capture the middle point that makes people wonder then I guess it is a success.

thats really interesting, my approach recently has been very similar! in textiles and mixed media i made up a group of 1-2ft tall dresses using plaster,beeswax, textiles, fibers,and dyes. macabre little things to reflect the lost childhood..and even stolen childhood- when i looked into the history of these buildings more and reasons why people ended up in them.
limerick the art college used to be a place for fallen women, while the children were newborn they were kept up in the attic and that part of the art college is still closed. a freind of mine knows a past student there that found one of the old cots. she made an installation with it, sewing the names of girls that were kept there on long strips of linen off the cot.
i hope to set up an installation up in atkins there while i still have a chance, tap into the buiders power cords and project some video art onto the sculpture pieces i made, im looking a lot at the artist christian boltanski

"His artistic work is haunted by the problems of death, memory and loss; he often seeks to memorialize the anonymous and those who have disappeared."

if u get a chance u should google his images, his work is very moving. After some losses in my family i found his work one that related a lot. esp as i started focusing a lot what would have been maybe my mothers era in rural ireland... he was very focussed on the time of his parents past and that went on back then.

i look into your suggestion if they want them i would hand them over thou the condition is not great! im in a hurry out now but i will put pics of them and the building on photobucket when i get a chance!