tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Wanted derilict houses to document for Art Project - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Arts & Culture
User Name
Password

Old 29-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Wanted derilict houses to document for Art Project

Im basically working on with this theme - passages in time and im doing a lot of mixed media work with found images and objects and also looking at old and derilict houses.
I will be doing B&W photography from these sites, paintings, assemblage art -boxes of found artifacts that represent fragments of personal experiences and also suggest a vast hidden or forgotten world that exists in other time and space. i will also be building small installations (site specific) that deals with private and collective memories and try to evoke a nostalgia feeling from viewers.
I would be interested in seeing any kind of old buildings no matter what state they are in, i will be completely responsible for my own safety and i will offer anyone that helps copies of any work that i do.
And if anyone wants to be part of the project i am also interested in old photography/negatives or even photocopies of old pictures to create a resin and silk screen installation.
That and recording peoples stories, maybe about their youth, family members, where they grew up, stories passed down to them.

Anyone wanting to know more or see the finished work can feel free to contact me,
thanks
lorraine
Old 31-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalwhore View Post
Im basically working on with this theme - passages in time and im doing a lot of mixed media work with found images and objects and also looking at old and derilict houses.
I will be doing B&W photography from these sites, paintings, assemblage art -boxes of found artifacts that represent fragments of personal experiences and also suggest a vast hidden or forgotten world that exists in other time and space. i will also be building small installations (site specific) that deals with private and collective memories and try to evoke a nostalgia feeling from viewers.
I would be interested in seeing any kind of old buildings no matter what state they are in, i will be completely responsible for my own safety and i will offer anyone that helps copies of any work that i do.
And if anyone wants to be part of the project i am also interested in old photography/negatives or even photocopies of old pictures to create a resin and silk screen installation.
That and recording peoples stories, maybe about their youth, family members, where they grew up, stories passed down to them.

Anyone wanting to know more or see the finished work can feel free to contact me,
thanks
lorraine
You might look at the old mental asylum above the lee fields, half the building has been converted into modern flats by Global properties (apparently owned by two brothers).

The other half of the building is still in it's old deteriorated state and has some very creepy old fixtures in some parts along with a small vestry on the grounds which has scaffolding poles penetrating the small church windows.

Spent a day photographing the place and there are some parts of it that made my skin crawl. I spoke to the security guard up there and he was eager for company and open about giving info about the current state of the place ie: teens and scumbags were targeting the place despite it's supposed exclusivity and huge property prices for the new flats. To me it looks like some kind of idealistic community gone wrong.

Behind the new flats is a little custom built french style villa which is new and seems unfinished but people have bought the properties. In between is a modern flat complex which is occupied. Across to the east close to the old mental hospital is the 'red brick' St Annes hospital which as far as I know is still being used.

A small anecdote I can offer is that my concerned mother visited a neighbour who was unfortunate enough to end up there, a young girl passed my mum a note and the note was a plea for help stating that she did not belong there. This note was not acted on but years later it turned out that a lot of young girls were 'imprisoned' out of the way in this place and their lives were basically taken away due to shame etc. My mum still feels a little guilty about this.

I did some research on the 'Atkins Hall' photographic project a couple of years back and it is definately something that you might have a look at for your project. I personally still find it fascinating on a lot of levels. I think I still have a list of records of the people that passed through the place.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymetalwhore View Post

thanks
lorraine
No thanks, Im grand.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 PM

Smile mental aslum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLab View Post
You might look at the old mental asylum above the lee fields, half the building has been converted into modern flats by Global properties (apparently owned by two brothers).

The other half of the building is still in it's old deteriorated state and has some very creepy old fixtures in some parts along with a small vestry on the grounds which has scaffolding poles penetrating the small church windows.

Spent a day photographing the place and there are some parts of it that made my skin crawl. I spoke to the security guard up there and he was eager for company and open about giving info about the current state of the place ie: teens and scumbags were targeting the place despite it's supposed exclusivity and huge property prices for the new flats. To me it looks like some kind of idealistic community gone wrong.

Behind the new flats is a little custom built french style villa which is new and seems unfinished but people have bought the properties. In between is a modern flat complex which is occupied. Across to the east close to the old mental hospital is the 'red brick' St Annes hospital which as far as I know is still being used.

A small anecdote I can offer is that my concerned mother visited a neighbour who was unfortunate enough to end up there, a young girl passed my mum a note and the note was a plea for help stating that she did not belong there. This note was not acted on but years later it turned out that a lot of young girls were 'imprisoned' out of the way in this place and their lives were basically taken away due to shame etc. My mum still feels a little guilty about this.

I did some research on the 'Atkins Hall' photographic project a couple of years back and it is definately something that you might have a look at for your project. I personally still find it fascinating on a lot of levels. I think I still have a list of records of the people that passed through the place.

wow thank you so much for getting in touch i found your reply so interesting! i will go down tomorrow evening an take pictures and some video. i have been looking for an ideal places to have installations and that sound perfect just hope there is no problem with me going in there! i spoke to some people about it and i was told that another past student of crawford did an installation piece in there before also. I will be in touch soon anyway and let you see whatever comes of it!
thanks again
lols
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM

I look forward to seeing your work. I did a photographic essay on the place and there is so much material to work with up their it is uncanny. Part of that reason I guess is that the building was designed by 'William Atkins' and he apparently had a lot of gothic inflences in his design. The contrast of gothic with the religious catholic church aspect at the same time gives the place a strange feel.

Also the building has one of the longest corridoors in the country, I took snapshots of the corridoors at arms length through broken windows and the results are quite good. Good luck with your project.

I'll dig out some of the photos that I took if you like and link them to you via flicker or whatever for your research?
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Banned

sounds real interesting, theres tons of places around the city, I always take a few snaps using my camera fone...check out the gaff across from the Kebab place up by UCC, not sure if you can get in there though and in Blackpool aswell there's tons...they'll be knocked soon enough so legger up...
here's a link to a great photographer I've been mailing for a while...some amazingly scary/grimm photos he has taken, especially the asylums...
http://www.oboylephoto.com/ruins/index.htm
Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM

thats pretty cool
id love one for a rave tbh
after party?
Old 16-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Good link there I had forgotten about him. At the time of my photographic essay assignment he was one of my influences. Thanks for the reminder, added to my favourites.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Default photographic essay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualLab View Post
I look forward to seeing your work. I did a photographic essay on the place and there is so much material to work with up their it is uncanny. Part of that reason I guess is that the building was designed by 'William Atkins' and he apparently had a lot of gothic inflences in his design. The contrast of gothic with the religious catholic church aspect at the same time gives the place a strange feel.

Also the building has one of the longest corridoors in the country, I took snapshots of the corridoors at arms length through broken windows and the results are quite good. Good luck with your project.

I'll dig out some of the photos that I took if you like and link them to you via flicker or whatever for your research?

sorry about the delay, yup its so true there is so much to work with that when i suggested to my turors i would go up there they were really interested in the ideas but they did say that that would be a hugh project in itself that could take years to explore!
i went over it with some other people and one lady had done a project up there, she was working around decay and now i think entrapment. they had to break into the place and she did say it completely freaked her out.
found out an old tutor of mine also did a photographic project on the place which i would love to see!
I had planned on going up there after my last message to you and on the was I got caught up taking pictures of this cool building on the way, on closer inspection i noticed it was open and took a peek inside! it was pretty much empty but upstairs in a box there was some old mechanical booklets and some really cool old hand painted architectural plans.
plans of buildings that were ment to be build ON the river lee, dating back from the 60's/70's very retro!

At the moment im doing some print making of the plans i found and photo manipulations of the pics i took. tomorrow i will started stereoscopic prints of the building with the four point separation technique. I was trying to think of a way for people to get really absorbed into the pictures.
id like to
Oh and it would be great to see how you approached the subject so yup i'd love to see work from your photographic essay!
Old 20-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo anal dynamite View Post
sounds real interesting, theres tons of places around the city, I always take a few snaps using my camera fone...check out the gaff across from the Kebab place up by UCC, not sure if you can get in there though and in Blackpool aswell there's tons...they'll be knocked soon enough so legger up...
here's a link to a great photographer I've been mailing for a while...some amazingly scary/grimm photos he has taken, especially the asylums...
http://www.oboylephoto.com/ruins/index.htm
thanks so much for the link i love the ones he did of the asylum, the scratched walls and peeling paint. i had a look up in the womens prison in cork and the walls are similar but that could be more from scumbags that break in their than from the time itself!!
whereabouts in blackpool are you talking about? i though after driving past it that the glen was pretty much desolate but when i got up there any empty rooms had big steel doors up. years ago my housemates sis went up there for a photography project, they had just knocked down some and others you could break into, strange sight i guess half a building in ruins and seeing all the different wallpaper and pictures on the parts remaining but exposed.

if theres somewhere else id love to know and i'll pop up and have a look, the same house mate had a friend , an auctioneer who told us about being sold just minutes from me. An old eccentric lived there and did all the work to his house himself, he put MANY extensions on to the back of his house and the effect is one of a long uneven or as he put it 'all higgledly piggledly'!! he kept to himself at it was just full of books and antiques and sounded really macabre.
im just waiting on builders to come to see if i can go take pictures and its sounds so unusual inside!