Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Current & Local Affairs Forum
User Name
Password

Old 17-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Bloody hate it when council's try to give some space back to pedestrians!
Old 17-11-2018, 07:58 PM

Default Facts

We shall see if the bridge is 18.5M, and if that includes the barriers or not.
Overall you are spouting rambling nonsense now.
Anyone can find average and best practice Lane widths. 3.7M in the USA, 3.5 UK. Ireland https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-..._ch3_20061.pdf

A Bus or Truck turning requires a minimum of 11.5 Feet, with 12 preferable. i.e. 3.5 to 3.7M.
The previous arrangement in the pictures show only TWO car lanes plus a Cycle Lane in the first pic. The Cycle lane is changed to a Bus Lane in the second. But this Bus Lane is visibly narrower than the car lanes, as I said causing buses to cross into the opposing traffic on Merchants Quay. Do try to remember these 2 point something lanes occupied about 13-14 Metres. The new plan appears to remove that erroneous Bus Lane. Again as I said squeezing Buses, Cars, and Bikes, into a width 3 Metres narrower than all previous versions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ireland.jpg (10.3 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Mister X; 18-11-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Old 17-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
We shall see if the bridge is 18.5M, and if that includes the barriers or not.
Overall you are spouting rambling nonsense now.
Anyone can find average and best practice Lane widths. 3.7M in the USA, 3.5 UK. Ireland tends to follow the UK, but with no enforceable minima. A Bus or Truck turning requires a minimum of 11.5 Feet, with 12 preferable. i.e. 3.5 to 3.7M.
The previous arrangement in the pictures show only TWO car lanes plus a Cycle Lane in the first pic. The Cycle lane is changed to a Bus Lane in the second. But this Bus Lane is visibly narrower than the car lanes, as I said causing buses to cross into the opposing traffic on Merchants Quay. Do try to remember these 2 point something lanes occupied about 13-14 Metres. The new plan appears to remove that erroneous Bus Lane. Again as I said squeezing Buses, Cars, and Bikes, into a width 3 Metres narrower than all previous versions.
The bridge is 18.5 metres wide, that is a recorded fact, I said 18m to exclude barriers. Now the 3.5m in the UK width is for dual carriage/motor ways where guess what happens......yes cars are driven at speed. The same doesn't apply to urban/rural/city centre routes. Now the maximum permitted truck width (EU/RSA) is 2.55mtrs (2.9 including load) otherwise you need apply for oversize permit
Do us a favour and link this new plan because you are all over the shop here
Old 17-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Doggy Wide

A Truck 2.9 Metres wide needs a little room on each side. Thus the 3.5M Width in the UK. There is much more turning in a City, so the width is still needed. There were never three real lanes on the bridge Earl. Your imaginary Three plus Bikes is just farcical bickering. Which is your usual form.
X
Old 17-11-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
A Truck 2.9 Metres wide needs a little room on each side. Thus the 3.5M Width in the UK. There were never three real lanes on the bridge Earl. Your imaginary Three plus Bikes is just farcical bickering. Which is your usual form.
X
There was never 3 lanes on Patrick's bridge? Really, never?
Your post, dearie me

Old 17-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
A Truck 2.9 Metres wide needs a little room on each side. Thus the 3.5M Width in the UK. There is much more turning in a City, so the width is still needed. There were never three real lanes on the bridge Earl. Your imaginary Three plus Bikes is just farcical bickering. Which is your usual form.
X
2.9 is an overhanging load not the standard which the max is 2.55. Look go away and read up for yourself because you are so far out of your depth here, it is frightening.
Old 18-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Facts

There were never three real lanes. Here you can see the ghost of the previous half assed lane, 2.5 Metres, narrower than a Bus. More importantly Buses turning onto this lane had to cross into and block north flowing traffic.
The New Bus Lane is a decent 3.2 Metres from kerb to centre of white line.

While I was at it, I measured a parked Bus on the Quay. 2.9 Metres Mirror to Mirror.
So in terms of making the Bus Lane work and most likely no longer illegal, this is an improvement.
So given the new wider Bus Lane, and the new wider 7 Metres of Footpaths, who has donated width here?
X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUS.jpg (33.6 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by Mister X; 18-11-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Old 18-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
There were never three real lanes.
You have posted pictures of 3 lanes, you need to go lie down for yourself

Old 18-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_rebel View Post
Bloody hate it when council's try to give some space back to pedestrians!
Pedestrians are more obese these days and need the room.
Old 18-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Barking

That photo looks like it was acquired by your Ocular Implant as you had an out of body experience. LOL
It however does show that the previous extra half lane was way narrower than a Car Lane. While the other two Lanes were Wide enough for Trucks, and in the case of the outer one, sharing with Cyclists.

One cannot be sure of the final plan yet. What is certain is that the width allocated to Cars and Trucks will be less than before. Because of an absurdly wide footpath. If it were left at 2 or 3 Metres, it would be possible to have decently wide Truck/Car Lanes. AND Two Way Cycling.

Quote:
taking you dubious figure of the footpaths being 7 mtrs wide

The opposite footpath is blocked off but is certainly over 2 Metres by my estimation, which previously estimated the new wide path at 4.5 to 5 Metres. It is in fact, 4.725 M

Again, as I said one footpath is absurdly wide at 4.725 Metres.
I fail to see any value in some scramblebrained hurler on the ditch saying ' Well I don't think so'.
And there is a consequence, a dangerous one. It will squeeze two Truck/Car Lanes together with a Miserably Narrow One Way Cycle Lane with no safety margin (if included) into a dangerously narrower space.
So what is the thinking behind making the footpath wider?
X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wide.jpg (28.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Cretin.jpg (47.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Mister X; 18-11-2018 at 07:54 PM..