tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
The Official Man Utd Thread - Page 6 - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Sports Forum
User Name
Password

Old 20-02-2007, 03:05 PM

I would sit down and watch an Italian game before Spanish football any day of the week. Rarely watch La Liga despite us having all the Sky Sports channels. Is a pity it's not on Bravo anymore.
Old 20-02-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
I would sit down and watch an Italian game before Spanish football any day of the week. Rarely watch La Liga despite us having all the Sky Sports channels. Is a pity it's not on Bravo anymore.
nuts
Old 21-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Location: Straight down, second left, third house on your right.

Barcelona vice-president Ferran Soriano would like the club to sign Cristiano Ronaldo but has denied they are set to move for the Manchester United winger.

The Spanish giants have frequently been linked with the 22-year-old Portugal international in recent times, along with Primera Liga rivals Real Madrid.

For their part, United have insisted they would not be willing to do business over one of their most prized assets, despite rumours of the former Sporting Lisbon player’s discontent at Old Trafford.

And Soriano has moved to appease the United hierarchy by claiming there is currently no place for Ronaldo at the Nou Camp.

Asked if the Catalans would be bidding for the winger, he told BBC Radio Five Live: “Of course not.

“We are very happy with the players we have – there is plenty of speculation every year about players.

“This is a very good player but we are very happy with the players we have.

“We would like him, but I think I prefer the players we have.”

After a turbulent week for Barca, in which key players have been linked with moves away from the European Champions, Soriano was also keen to play down a spat between striker Samuel Eto’o and coach Frank Rijkaard, which has seen the Cameroon striker dropped for tonight’s Champions League clash with Liverpool.

“It is a shared position between him and the coach,” Soriano said.

“He has been sick for five months and everybody wants him to be back when he is totally recovered.”

Soriano poured cold water on speculation Brazil superstar Ronaldinho could join AC Milan, after the Italians went public in their admiration for the two-time former world player of the year.

“It is like a joke. Every month, someone says something about Ronaldinho,” Soriano said.

“He is happy with us and we are happy with him and I am convinced he will finish his career here.”
Old 21-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Abramovich View Post
On August 28, 2005, the channel started showing Serie A Italian football, bringing back the Channel 4 format Football Italia. However, poor viewing figures saw Bravo cancel first the weekly Gazetta Football Italia show, then announce it would stop showing Italian Football altogether after 23 December 2006.
Very short-sighted move.

Arrivederci, James, and thanks for the memories
As Bravo prepares to pull the plug on Football Italia, let's celebrate 14 years of James Richardson's unique coverage of Serie A.

Sean Ingle
December 20, 2006 12:30 AM
On Saturday afternoon, after Internazionale's Serie A match against Atalanta has been untangled and dissected, James Richardson will face Bravo's TV cameras, smile, and utter one final arrivederci. Then, with a flick of an editor's switch, 14 years of Football Italia will come to an end.

Few will witness its last rites - these days it struggles to pull in 20,000 viewers - but a great many will mourn its passing, and the absence of Richardson from our screens. Anyone who resists football's twin turkey twizzlers, cliché and monosyllable, as he does, should be commended; anyone who can make David Platt and Paul Elliott sound interesting (surely the TV presenter's equivalent of the philosopher's stone) deserves a knighthood. Instead Richardson - who by rights should be a well-cultivated moustache away from being the next Des Lynam - is twiddling his thumbs and wondering what might have been.

It was all so different in 1992 when three million tuned in for Channel 4's first Serie A match, a this-way-and-that 3-3 between Sampdoria and Lazio. In those early years viewing figures were buoyant, helped by Paul Gascoigne, Des Walker, Platt and Paul Ince chasing the lira, as well as the lack of competition from domestic TV. With Sky having poached the rights to England's top flight, Channel 4 was up against ITV's piecemeal coverage of the old Second Division. Serie A offered San Siro glamour; ITV had Grimsby.

Channel 4 had another trick up its sleeve: Gazzetta Football Italia, a show that proved that intelligence and irrelevance were not magnetic opposites. When Richardson was not translating newspapers between slurps of his morning cappuccino on the Piazza Rotunda, or dismantling a five-storey ice-cream on the Piazza Navona - iconic images of Rome to rival Fellini - he was interviewing Roberto Baggio or Marcello Lippi, or persuading Platt to dress up as the Terminator. Once, famously, he got Attilio Lombardo to do the lambada.

"Almost every player has treated me graciously," says Richardson. "I guess being English helped. Whenever there was a delay in getting an interview I would tell them that I had to catch a flight back to London; that always did the trick. Only Didier Deschamps and Alen Boksic asked for money; everyone else was very generous with their time."

But while the 1990s was a golden age for Italian football, with the seven sisters - Juventus, Milan, Inter, Lazio, Roma, Parma and Fiorentina - all having resources to challenge for the scudetto, it did not last. "Many of these teams were built on borrowed money and had fanciful expectations about future incomes," says Richardson. "And when the TV bubble burst, the whole thing collapsed."

And so did British viewing figures. Since Channel 4 gave up in 2002- having shabbily halted transmission of Roma's last-day scudetto win with 10 minutes of the game still remaining - the rights have gone from British Eurosport to Bravo, like a footballer tumbling down the divisions at the end of his career.

Now with Juventus in Serie B, Milan scratching around in the bottom half of Serie A and the calciopoli scandal still hanging queasily in the air, Bravo has decided to pull out. They are unlikely to be back: probably only the sight of David Beckham in a Milan shirt in January would make them change their minds. It all boils down to cold, hard economics: Bravo staples like Das Crazy Sex Show cost less to make and attract higher audiences. But sources close to the show continue to lament the lack of marketing and publicity. When Bravo's website carries no mention of Saturday's game, you cannot help thinking they are right.

As it happens, the decision comes just as the foundations have been laid for a more competitive Serie A. "Calciopoli seems to confirm all the bad things about Italian football," says Richardson. "But it was an influence-peddling scandal, not a match-fixing one and - for a change - Italy didn't sweep it under the carpet. In the long term it will help level the playing field, as will the next TV rights deal in 2007. Before, Juve, Milan and Inter divvied up most of the pot but this one will be collective agreement."

And what of Richardson? "I will certainly be watching Setanta, rooting for Roma," he admits, "as well as presenting Guardian Unlimited's Football Weekly podcast. But it would be sad not to work on Italian football again." For 14 years Richardson and Italian football have been locked together in a joyous tarantella. One day, it must be hoped, they will dance again.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:03 AM

Right after last nights display I think its time for Fergie to ship out a good number of dead wood from the current squad. The regular 1st 11 that are in place at the moment all do a decent job but with even one or two injuries possible added to the likes of Scholes & Giggs being rested, the 2nd string could really cost us the league this year.

What should be done to replace the dead wood? Well at the moment all the following are out on loan. Foster, Simpson, Pique, Evans, Bardsley, Martin, Gibson, Rossi, Campbell, Shawcross, and so on. These guys are all aged between 18 & 21 with Foster the exception at 23 but that’s still young for a keeper. The majority of these players are all impressing away from OT so they certainly have the potential to be squad players next year.

Who exactly falls under the term ‘dead wood’? Take O’Shea for example. 5 years ago he was showing signs that he had the ability to be a mainstay in the United defence for 10 years. Now the only reason he plays centre half is due to a severe injury crisis. But in his favour he covers all defensive positions (including GK!) and the midfield holding role. Is it enough to hold on to him? Well all depends if there are more obvious cases to sell.

1st up is Richardson. The guy is nearly 23 years of age & is older than both Rooney & Ronaldo. The amount of opportunities he’s had is ridiculous at this stage and considering his age & his status of being in the England squad on occasion a decent enough fee can be got for the guy who has had the worst attitude I’ve ever seen from a footballer considering his end product in comparison to the club he is at.

Others I feel that should go are Smith & Heinze. Both are great battlers and are fans favourites (in my eyes Smith is still a tosser) but again the fees that can be received for both make them an attractive source of income in relation to their use. Heinze is at best reserve left back now & if the links with Bale are true then he is only likely to fall down the pecking order. And with his contract having only 2 more years to run and with him 29ish now is the time to get a decent fee for him. Smith was never good enough for United. End of.

Fletcher & Park for me justify their places in the squad. Fletcher particularly has improved no end this year showing an ability to score goals given his surprising limited outings. Park couldn’t score in the Savoy but he will always create chances and has shown with PSV he is a good player.

So for me this is how I’d like the squad to shape up next year.

GK. VDS, Foster, Kuszczak
RB. Neville, Simpson, Bardsley
CB. Rio, Vidic, Brown, Evans, Pique, and one from Silvestre, O’Shea & Heinze
LB, Evra, AN Other
Wingers. Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Martin, AN Other
Midfield, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, AN Other
Strikers, Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Rossi, Dong, AN Other

Give Campbell & Shawcross and a few more of the 18 year olds more time out on loan. On the AN Other’s I’ll let that to Fergie.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:34 AM

just found this on google video,

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...chester+united
Old 28-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st finnbar View Post
that giggs celebration still gauls me.
twas one of my low points.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st finnbar View Post
there's 30 seconds of my life i'll never get back
Old 28-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnyB View Post
Right after last nights display I think its time for Fergie to ship out a good number of dead wood from the current squad. The regular 1st 11 that are in place at the moment all do a decent job but with even one or two injuries possible added to the likes of Scholes & Giggs being rested, the 2nd string could really cost us the league this year.

What should be done to replace the dead wood? Well at the moment all the following are out on loan. Foster, Simpson, Pique, Evans, Bardsley, Martin, Gibson, Rossi, Campbell, Shawcross, and so on. These guys are all aged between 18 & 21 with Foster the exception at 23 but that’s still young for a keeper. The majority of these players are all impressing away from OT so they certainly have the potential to be squad players next year.

Who exactly falls under the term ‘dead wood’? Take O’Shea for example. 5 years ago he was showing signs that he had the ability to be a mainstay in the United defence for 10 years. Now the only reason he plays centre half is due to a severe injury crisis. But in his favour he covers all defensive positions (including GK!) and the midfield holding role. Is it enough to hold on to him? Well all depends if there are more obvious cases to sell.

1st up is Richardson. The guy is nearly 23 years of age & is older than both Rooney & Ronaldo. The amount of opportunities he’s had is ridiculous at this stage and considering his age & his status of being in the England squad on occasion a decent enough fee can be got for the guy who has had the worst attitude I’ve ever seen from a footballer considering his end product in comparison to the club he is at.

Others I feel that should go are Smith & Heinze. Both are great battlers and are fans favourites (in my eyes Smith is still a tosser) but again the fees that can be received for both make them an attractive source of income in relation to their use. Heinze is at best reserve left back now & if the links with Bale are true then he is only likely to fall down the pecking order. And with his contract having only 2 more years to run and with him 29ish now is the time to get a decent fee for him. Smith was never good enough for United. End of.

Fletcher & Park for me justify their places in the squad. Fletcher particularly has improved no end this year showing an ability to score goals given his surprising limited outings. Park couldn’t score in the Savoy but he will always create chances and has shown with PSV he is a good player.

So for me this is how I’d like the squad to shape up next year.

GK. VDS, Foster, Kuszczak
RB. Neville, Simpson, Bardsley
CB. Rio, Vidic, Brown, Evans, Pique, and one from Silvestre, O’Shea & Heinze
LB, Evra, AN Other
Wingers. Ronaldo, Giggs, Park, Martin, AN Other
Midfield, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, AN Other
Strikers, Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer, Rossi, Dong, AN Other

Give Campbell & Shawcross and a few more of the 18 year olds more time out on loan. On the AN Other’s I’ll let that to Fergie.
Reports on Martin aren't great just now but I like what I saw of him pre-season and I doubt Bardsley will be back.

Solskjaer will scarcely play next season.

The one problem with the moving on of players is that we're going to get more takers for the likes of Brown than Silvestre so don't be surprised if some of the bigger tossers like Richardson are still stinking up the place next season.

I also think young Kieran Lee will move up the pecking order, plucky little player. Fabien Brandy is a midget but he's very good.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolaKubes View Post
Reports on Martin aren't great just now but I like what I saw of him pre-season and I doubt Bardsley will be back.

Solskjaer will scarcely play next season.

The one problem with the moving on of players is that we're going to get more takers for the likes of Brown than Silvestre so don't be surprised if some of the bigger tossers like Richardson are still stinking up the place next season.

I also think young Kieran Lee will move up the pecking order, plucky little player. Fabien Brandy is a midget but he's very good.

I was impressed with Martin as well but injuries have stunted his season & progress.

After seeing Solskjaer last night finsih the way he did I wouldnt discard him too quickly plus the guy deserves Fergie's loyalty. I think Dong will be given a chance next season & cant be much worse than Smith.

I cant see Fergie selling both Brown & Silvestre but I know what your saying. Richardson just has to go. I'm sick of giving out about him. What drives me mad is the talent he has but the attitude is disgraceful.

Both Brandy & Lee were players I had in mind about going on loan to the championship next year.