tempobet tipobet Instagram Profiles
Thailand - Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums

Go Back   Peoples Republic Of Cork Discussion Forums > Travel Forum
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Thailand

Im going to thailand for xmas and new yrs and i was wondering if anyone knew any good spots to visit while there??
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 PM

Unrelated I know, but what part of Japan are you in?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Depends on what you want to do. South for sun, sand and all the rest. Up north is really beautiful and relaxing. If you get a chance to go to Pai which is a 4 hour bus journey from Chiang Mai. Beautiful place. Great place to chill. Also got lots of quirky bars and pubs. Paradise.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRebel
Im going to thailand for xmas and new yrs and i was wondering if anyone knew any good spots to visit while there??
you'll get hundreds of "do's" so here's a few "don'ts" - Ko Samui and Phucket are both very developed and pretty seedy. They are also surrounded by other islands that are 20 times better. For Samui read Tao (my fav) and Panyang (full moon party). Phucket - read Phi phi.

Bangkok is a love it or hate it scenario. i loved it.

Drink the buckets. Don't lose your patience with the locals.
Old 13-10-2006, 07:56 AM

Cheers for the replies.
Do ye think i should stay in Bangkok for xmas day or get out of there.
Was hoping to go to one of the islands for new years, where can i find out which island is holding a party etc.
Should i book accomadation now or can i easily find it when i get there?

Allergic I am living in north Japan near Sendai city, do you know it??
Old 13-10-2006, 08:08 AM

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=51

This forum is handy if you have any qs about Thailand. There is no need to book accomodation if you are only going to stay in beach huts, dont know what the story is with hotels though.
Old 13-10-2006, 08:51 AM

Cheers de facto,

One more thing, how easy is it get access to the islands for those that have been there, and do most people speak english??
Old 13-10-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Cheers de facto,

One more thing, how easy is it get access to the islands for those that have been there, and do most people speak english??
dude, it's a piece of piss travelling around thailand. it's easier than anywhere i've ever been - the states and Europe included. everyone speaks english, no transport company will rip you off coz there's too much competition - tis capitalism in it's purest state! Ferries are multiple each day, ko samui to pang nang is about an hour, ko tao an hour beyond that. Getting from bangkok to the islands takes about a 12 hour bus ride and 2 hour ferry. fly if you can afford it, tis not expensive.

every island has a party every night! tis thailand like!

the only time you'd need to pre book accommodation is if you're taking in a full moon in pang nang. but every night there is like a full moon party anyway. and then they have half moons, dark moons, etc. any excuse. you can't go wrong in thailand........ well ye can like, but watch for the adams apple!
Old 13-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Allergic I am living in north Japan near Sendai city, do you know it??
In Tokyo myself, I only know where Sendai is. Who did ya get flights with, half thinkin of taking off for the crimbo myself
Old 13-10-2006, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't bother booking any places unless you plan on staying in nice hotels. If you are book thru www.asiarooms.com , they are quite cheap. If you are staying in backpacker places just turn up. You will always get a room at any time Thailand except had Rin before the Full Moon Party. i would recommend the Samui area for travelling.
Samui is develpoed but it is a great island, just get a scooter and drive around the island, its really nice. Spend some time on Koh Phnagna as well, it is the backpacker island and its class, Had Rin is a good party place, the other beaches like Thong nai Pan are really beautifull as well. The third island, Koh Tao is really beautifull and if you want to do diving then this is the place to go. Don't do a diving course on Samui or Phangan as it is more expensive and the water is not as good. You should really do you open water course, it class. it only costs about 8,000 baht for 4 days classes and diving and 5 nights accomidation.
The best way to get to samui is to fly with bangkok airways. The first flight 06:00 is only 2,000 baht (40 euros) and only takes an hour. The bus and boat combination takes about 18 hours and costs around 500baht. Yes its cheaper but its hell as well.
Bangkok is worth a few days but i wouldn't make a point of staying there for christmas. If you are on a budget or want to be around the backpacker scene then stay on Khao Sahn Road but for the love of God don't justt stay around that area. Get into the city centre. Check out the river and the shopping disctricts and the great Bangkok nightclubs. Also check out Patpong, its worth a look anyway. If you are not staying on a budget then hotels in Thailand are really good value for money. Splash out in Bangkok, youll only be there a few days anyway.

Anyway enjoy, Thailand is great.